Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Don't Knock it Til You Try It

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nom Chompsky, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I like coconut, or at least highly-sweetened coconut (as in Mounds/Almond Joys, etc.). That said coconut water is fucking disgusting.....tried it once to get rid of a hangover, took one swig and threw it out. Hangover cures are supposed to make you NOT want to throw up.

2. T0m88

T0m88
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Not to single you or your gf out, as chances are she's a healthy gal, but this is pretty much why one in four people in the US is a lardass. How can you not like water? It's fucking water. We're hardwired to like that shit on a basic biological level. This is just completely baffling to me.

Focus:

Spartacus: I posted a rant about this a while back, after watching the first episode, and I absolutely loathed it. However, I persevered because I had the boxset for free on Sky on Demand, and after the first three episodes, I was fucking hooked. I don't know if it got dramatically better or my brain just said fuck it and switched off, but I'm a believer now.

Sushi: I was morally opposed to this for a long time. I mean seriously, raw fucking fish? Fuck that. I didn't eat any until I got to the UK, and well, as we all know, holy fuck is that shit tasty. I'd eat it a lot more if fish weren't so goddamn expensive here, but it's always a pleasure when I do.

3. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cross country skiing. I used to think it was the boring, nerdy cousin of downhill, the superior sport.

But you know what? If you live in an area with good snowfall, consistently cold weather, and bike paths or parks or what have you that doesn't get plowed, it's great. No long drives to the ski hill, no expensive lift passes, no spending 20 minutes in the parking lot doing up your boots, and no lineups at every chairlift. And if your city is set up for it, you can ski on various pathways and stop at a normal pub or cafe for a snack and beer instead of the shitty cafeterias at ski hills. And did I mention it's free every time you go?

If you're the type who runs or bikes in the summer and hates treadmills in the winter, and you live in an area where it's feasible, look into it.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bingo. We had some left over after a client requested it and I tried some. It tasted like watered down milk that's left over after eating a bowl of cereal. It was gross. I hate regular coconut anyway.

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We both drink water, and basically only water with the occasional bottle of orange juice thrown in.

She just drinks water slowly, whereas the coconut water she can put down an entire glass of immediately after a run as a recovery drink.

She's got a stomach and an ass you could bounce a quarter off so I'm going to accept her slow water drinking as probably not totally detrimental to her overall health...

6. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not to mention its one of the best forms of aerobic exercise. I used to do it when I lived in Wisconsin and NH.

7. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Wrong thread. Too much bacon.

8. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Black tea: I grew up having milk in my tea, however about 3 years ago I went over to the dark side. Simple, black tea with no sugar, I drink at least 500ml a day.

I also cut sugar out of my coffee, used to have 2 TS then cut back to 1 TS and been on zero for about 2 years. Trying to cut most pure sugar from my diet without being a nazi about it.

9. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't try or eat sushi until I was about 25. I went to two different places, one a upscale new asian food situation, and then later a straight nice sushi only place. They were both nice places, I tried it and thought "Okay, this is good." Since then, I've just never think about getting sushi, if a group of people push for it, I'll go and it'll be fine, but it is so low on my totem pole it will always be the last food option in my mind. I'm not saying its bad, but it just never triggers as a possibility in my mind.

10. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was about 24-25 when I first had sushi. I went to work for a Japanese ad agency with a 100% Japanese clientele, so I was educated and indoctrinated to it by the natives (and NY has a lot of great sushi restaurants) and I've been a big fan ever since. The only piece I ever had a problem with was uni (sea urchin).

Sushi was one of those cuisines my parents would never even entertain the idea of trying. In fact, it took a lot of convincing to get them to go to Japanese restaurant, knowing that they would both enjoy a tempura entree, which they did. But my father was both repulsed and fascinated with my enjoyment of a boat of assorted sushi and sashimi, remarking "How can you eat that bait?" 4-5 times during the course of the meal, and asking what each piece was as I dipped in soy sauce and wasabi. He was also put off by the fact there was no coffee or chocolate cake on the dessert menu.

11. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

As expected from a straight male.

Focus: Wine, growing a beard, and Philadelphia.