Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Disney Reveals Trailer For "The Mandalorian"

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by walt, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What can you say, some people just aren’t into Trek Wars.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

This is the first time since Return Of The Jedi that I’ve been truly entertained by the Star Wars franchise.

This ACTUALLY gives a shit about the people who loved the original trilogy and made it popular— actual fans, instead of being platforms for pathetic woke fuckheads who could care less about source material and are just looking for attention.

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Apparently I've seen Star Wars Episodes 4 & 5? I'll have to rewatch them I guess.

We started on episode 1 last night. Goddamn I hate Jar Jar Binks.

4. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You and everyone else above the age of five. That's what happens when merchandising becomes the focus.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

"Oh, this action sequence is pretty frivolous... but it sure does set up the video game pretty well..."

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To be fair, Star Wars Episode I: Racer was a pretty legit game.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Intergalactic Stepin-Fetchit.

There were so many things wrong and awful about the prequel series— starring with hiring the worst and second worst actors in the world to play Anakin. And just when you think that something this bad couldn’t be topped, they filmed The Hobbit.

#48 Crown Royal, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  9. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Episodes 1 through 3 were so bad they made the Hobbit look good. Well, okay.

Hayden Christensen is one of the worst actors I’ve ever seen in my life.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I think he’s a better actor than the script he was given.

11. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep. I can’t remember the title of the book but there was one I read that the actors in Episodes 1-3 were well aware that the dialogue was complete shit. Except, unlike Harrison Ford, they were afraid to tell Lucas they though that.

There’s so much absolutely awful dialogue in the prequels it’s amazing.

I rather like Hayden Christiansen by the time we got to Revenge of the Sith. He certainly seemed more likable than Episode Two which may have been the writing, or may have been a few years of aging, I’m not sure which.

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah. In the original trilogy Guinness and Cushing were classically trained actors who could read the phone book if you asked them, Ford was an untarnishable ball of charisma, and Fisher was a young talent from an acting family. Covered up for a lot of weaknesses in the script, which itself asked a lot less of Hamill than the later scripts asked of Christensen.

13. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I forget where I read it but I guess Lucas would get the actors to do scenes several different ways them he would Frankenstein them together in post production to the point where the actors would be surprised to see the end result because they had never actually performed the scene as it ended up on film.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's a viable technique when used by a competent director. The most famous example is in American Psycho where Mary Harron had Willem Defoe play the interview scene three different ways (thought Bateman was innocent/was unsure of Bateman's guilt/was convinced of Bateman's guilt) and then cut between them to make the audience feel uneasy and unsure if Bateman was in trouble or not. Or a more "normal" example of when Ian Holm would play Bilbo in a different way each take so that Peter Jackson could find the exact Bilbo he wanted in editing.

I think the biggest complaint against Lucas from the actors is that they would ask for guidance or information on character motivations, etc, and Lucas would just shrug it off and not really understand the process of acting.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Then why would he edit it so they gave terrible acting performances? It wasn’t just the acting, the dialogue was fucking horrendous, the button-mash video game fight scenes... goofy shit. I can’t watch them anymore, they’re fucking excruciating.

Bill Burr’s scene with a hated old acquaintance had better acting, suspense and written depth than anything in the last six franchise films. That was awesome, in the best Western/Tarantino neo-noir sense.

Favreau crushed it. If Disney plus turned Star Wars around this well, the new Phase Four Marvel shows should be great.

16. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Let me know if this works for you:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1vEDHUCRWWb3Ix9-McBjnonpQ9Wx7W7kG
    Star Wars Despecialized Editions. Basically, George Lucas lost his fucking mind and decided to go back and add all kinds of 90s CGI to the originals. A trash effort, and unfortunately that makes the original theatricals very hard to find. But people have done it, and even upscaled and cleaned up the visuals. So here they are as they were meant to be.

17. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So this show is over now, yeah? The Child has been delivered, the big bad has been captured, the Dark Saber is in Mando's hands until he just throws it at Starbuck's head. What is there left to do? Boba getting his own show next year, but I don't see why Mando should cross his path again.

18. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the Star Wars universe suffers from a particular malady, in that time moves too quickly for the effect it's supposed to have. By the time of the OG trilogy the Jedi are indeed "ancient, mysterious, hardly known or known about". In fact the Sith are so dismissed as folk legend that Vader literally had to choke a bitch. But Order 66 was what, 20 to 30 years prior? Most of the universe probably has some memory of seeing Jedi and Sith walking around doing parlor tricks, it wasn't that long ago or far away.

Handmaid's Tale does it too, where the "before times" are treated as something that happened decades ago so the world has had all this time to adapt to the new order but, the shit was like a year ago, maybe 2.

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast