Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Disney Reveals Trailer For "The Mandalorian"

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by walt, Aug 24, 2019.

1. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks good. Werner Herzog doe!

I like how Disney said they were pumping the breaks on Star Wars because it was over saturated. Then they announce 15 new tv shows and movies. The thing is, like Im sure this show will highlight, had the new trilogy and spin off actually been great film making, instead of hot garbage, the public would have had an endless appetite for it. It could have been a true printing press for Disney. If this show is amazing, they could still make retarded bank.

3. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That trailer looked amazing. I do mean just looked though because it sure as hell didn't tell you anything about the plot.

In general I'm not a big fan of what Disney has done with Star Wars up to this point. The Force Awakens was unimaginative garbage, and while I liked The Last Jedi better I still wasn't very impressed. I'm glad it's in the hands of a company with an obscene amount of money to pour into production because a saga like this needs that, but I Disney itself has become very wrapped into a cookie cutter play it safe mentality that worries me. Like, I don't give a shit how many you go girl moments, or what have you someone wants to put into a movie if it actually belongs there, but they're doing it just do it and it's bland. Doing things like firing James Gunn because God forbid someone is offended shows they're getting out of touch with what makes movies, you know, actually good. Lately they reek of a studio with non-creative suits making most of the decisions.

That said, I'm still looking forward to this, and will definitely be watching it.

#3 Kampf Trinker, Aug 27, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As long as they keep iterating on it trying to make it magical again, I'll keep watching.

It's going to be interesting to see how it works as a tv series... I think a lot of the stories are better suited for that format, but I have no idea how the production will keep up.

Other sci-fi like Killjoys, The Expanse, etc, do OK, but they have nowhere near the quality of sets, etc, that I would expect a Star Wars franchise to have.

5. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They just announced Ewan McGregor is on board for a series about Obi Wan, which takes place 8 years after "Revenge Of The Sith". Thats some of the best news I've heard about the franchise lately.

That's how I feel about it too. There's a whole galaxy of stories to tell, they can tell them all they want.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I figured I'd post this here . . .

If you haven't signed up for Disney+ yet, this is a pretty good deal. Works out to about $4.75 per month, if you pay for three years in a lump sum. The article in the link says
    But, I just signed up through the link, so I guess it still works?

They will probably have some other deal later, but I've made a lot dumber purchases over my lifetime. $170 seems reasonable.

https://bgr.com/2019/10/11/disney-plus-bundle-deal-sign-up-last-day/

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Anyone watching The Mandalorian?

Just finished tonight's episode, The Tragedy... and they've introduced Boba Fett into the mix.

Man... this show just keeps getting better and better. I can't believe how fast it goes by while watching it... just blink, and it's the end credits.

To say I'm a fan is a huge understatement.

#7 Nettdata, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And can we talk about just how strong Gina is looking in this role?

[​IMG]

9. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

@Nettdata Yes! We watch religiously on Friday nights with Mexican food.

Every episode is a killer and feels like a movie. I like how the mini stories and adventures are completed satisfactorily each episode. You get a sense of completion with each episode. Baby yoda... I mean... Grogu... is cute and hilarious. He's a little naughty at times. I even enjoy watching the credits to look at the storyboard art which is really gorgeous

I'm with you and really love Gina in this role. Badass lady without the constant nudge nudge SHE'S A WOMAN that is nauseating in some shows and movies. I knew she was an MMA fighter before retiring but didn't follow that part of her career. I looked up pics. She is beautifully curvey with good muscle tone now and it looks to be really natural and healthy body shape for her. I cannot imagine the discipline and work it took to look how she did before.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Jon Favreau is my new favourite writer/producer. Amazing storyteller.

And can we talk about how Grogu eating lizard eggs is just the most hilarious thing ever?

[​IMG]

That last "pop!" had me laughing out loud.

Never mind the Twitter shitstorm that hit after that... that was almost as funny.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just appreciate the fact that they didn't cast a 98 lb waif and then try to tell the audience she's some amazing hand-to-hand brawler. I'm looking at you, "Maggie Q's entire career". Gina Carano looks like she can fight because she can fight.

Outside of the Star Wars geekery, I'm really loving how hard they're leaning into the whole Western/Samurai theme (specifically Sergio Leone and Akira Kurosawa). They're dropping Western/Samurai references almost as fast as they're dropping Expanded Universe references:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also the fact that Bryce Dallas Howard directed an episode and made a shot-for-shot homage to Apollo 13 (directed by Ron Howard) was another great Easter Egg.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Absolutely watching! I love the humor stuff this year (like the frog eggs), agree with the hard press into the Western/Samurai themes, and love all the Easter egg stuff. Also, that they didn't feel the need to over-explain Boba Fett being alive. And tonight's! Fucking Robert Rodriguez directing, hell yeah gunfight.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fun fact, she called her dad, Ron Howard, to see how they got moisture dripping from the switches in Apollo 13 so they could do the same thing with the Razor Crest [RIP].

The whole scene is an homage to Apollo 13.

https://twitter.com/Lucybri83/status/1327395062280581120

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Never mind Gus as Moff Gideon.

Or Timothy Olyphant as the Marshall.

15. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm really loving the series too.

I think my biggest nerd boner came from the:

Admiral Thrawn mention

The kid in me, that spent years reading the expanded universe books, went absolutely ape shit. If we aren't going to get Rancor riding Force witches, I'll be more than happy with that. The assembling of Team Kickass at the end of tonight's episode definitely has me super pumped for the remainder of the season.

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The irony is that the moisture part doesn't make any sense, but it doesn't matter because the homage is that cool. The only reason it was in Apollo 13 was because they powered down the command module for days to save power, so everything had frosted over and then melted again on reentry.

17. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I nearly messed my pants last night. From the very start, this season there's been a lot of "holy shit!" moments watching this. My son and I said it in unison last week when we saw those two white lightsabers.

18. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is legit better than the last 5 years of Skywalker movies.

They took all the things we loved about "Firefly" and wedged some Star Wars into it. Nerdgasm.

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I never saw this guy in anything til Breaking Bad and now it seems like he is the best villain actor out there. Breaking Bad, The Boys, now the Mandalorian. He has this cool unassuming body language and his eyes are always apathetic, cold, dead. Unexcited about doing the bad things he's doing but resolute in his pursuits.

20. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You don't remember Buggin' Out? Your Jordans are fucked up!