Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Diamond in the Rough

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NoMames, Feb 16, 2011.

1. NoMames

NoMames
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

About a two months ago, some old friends invited me to a party that had a couple kegs, liquor, mixers, all that jazz. But it was five dollars at the door for a wrist band or BYOB. Since I had all of four dollars to my name, I went to the convenience store next to my house and grabbed two 24 oz. beers. Behold, [​IMG]

At 12% ABV and a mere $1.19 a my corner shop, I was able to grab two and have a good time at the party. Instead of tasting like hobo piss like I imagined it would, it tasted like a very expensive beer. I told my friends that it was cheap because it was in a 24 oz. can, and if it were packaged differently it'd sell for $9+ in a bar. The tasted is similar to a Fin du Monde for other beer snobs out there.

Focus: When have you gotten a bargain on something and been surprised at the quality of the product?

2. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Sometimes Old Navy looks like Old Navy, but other times it's pretty indistinguishable from Banana Republic, lasts twice as long, and is one-third the price. I am thinking specifically about a small herd of lightweight sweaters I got there several months ago that I like very much.

3. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A few months ago I bought a cast iron skillet for real cheap on Amazon, ended up absolutely loving it and ditched all my old Calphalon crap for a set of cast iron pans, everything tastes so much better on them and you don't have to worry about scratching.

Sort of on focus (because I didn't get a deal on it) but I'm amazed at how useful the PS3 is, because of blu ray capability and Netflix instant that thing gets used for video games maybe 5% of the time, otherwise it's used as a media player and I've been able to ditch cable (for now) because of it.

Alcohol related: I've mentioned this several times before, but I'm consistently amazed that Peter Vella sells 5 liter boxes of wine for $15 that could EASILY go for $10 for a .75 liter bottle.

4. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I'm an unabashed Filene's Basement shopper. 95-98% of their clothes are terrible designs that didn't sell for a reason, but if you're willing to put in the time you can get designer clothes that fit your style for basically 1/4 of the price. It takes some shopping moxie, but it beats paying $150 for pants.

I once bought a (nice) 100% cashmere sweater there as a secret santa gift. Do to a lucky confluence of sales, skills and register discounts, I managed to get in under the $20 limit.

5. BeCoolBitch_BeCool

BeCoolBitch_BeCool
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm currently wearing an Old Navy sweatshirt that has FUCKING HEADPHONES INSTEAD OF STRINGS! They don't sound like shit and the entire sweatshirt cost less than any pair of headphones I've ever owned.

6. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Ayup and they cost 15 bucks.
    [​IMG]
    Someone is smart.

7. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Can you put this sweatshirt in the washing machine?

8. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What?

No.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You've WASHED a hoodie? Okay there, Lady MacBeth.

10. framerpro

framerpro
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Yes you can in fact. The only stipulation is that you tumble dry on low. The water won't damage the headphones, but the heat is a killer.

11. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude, no.

It tastes nothing like a Fin du Monde.

It tastes like someone put a bunch of nickels in a mixture of vodka and soda water, and left it in the sun for a week.

12. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A microwave rice cooker on a clearance table for $5.00. 1.5 cups of rice, 2.5 cups of liquid, some salt, and 15 minutes later, perfectly cooked rice. Bought it close to 10 years ago and still no signs of wear and tear. And it's dishwasher safe.