Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dexter Season 7

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jimmy James, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

New season trailer came out. After watching, it looks like it's going to blow last season out of the water. Trailer spoiler tagged. Season starts on the 30th. Any predictions?

#1 Jimmy James, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Paperbag

Paperbag
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This is the season most have been waiting for. I did notice something in that trailer
    At the 1:27 mark there is a person wearing bull horns which could mean they are following a concept from the books and exploring what the Dark Passenger is.

Dexter has really changed from the first season and I don’t see him ever killing Deb. I think that scene with Masuka was a daydream because if Dexter was willing to kill an innocent to protect himself, he would have taken care of Doakes.

3. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

God dammit I hope they don't do what you said there. I thought that entire part of the series was 100% worthless.

That said, they probably will. The seasons since Trinity haven't been raising the bar (last season was still decent; the Lumen season was the worst of the series in my opinion) so I assume they're going to try something a little more out there and hope it pays off.

4. Paperbag

Paperbag
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I think I’ll link Louis the Intern to being involved with my previous observation as it would explain his interest in Dexter.

Spoiler for those who are unfamiliar with the books
    With Dexter gradually becoming more human over the seasons, I assume that the writers don’t want to kill him or have him arrested because it would defeat the purpose of this progress. If the Dark Passenger is an entity that influences Dexter, he becomes a victim and is essentially off the hook. This gives the writers a way to let Deb keep the secret while making it possible for Dexter to get out of the series alive in next year’s finale without any backlash.

That’s what my crystal ball says.

5. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy fuck that final scene was amazing. I anticipated Deb would have eventually made the discovery that Dexter killing Travis wasn't a one-off, but didn't think it would be so early.

I'm thinking the crime boss in Kiev (Isaac?) will make up the major sideplot to the series

Concerning how many seasons are left:

Season 7 and 8 follow the same story arc, and Season 8 is the final season

6. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My prediction (spoiler includes book info too):

Viktor is Isaac's son. Isaac finds out Viktor is dead and goes to figure out how/why. I'm assuming he's connected and I'm also confident that the airport had some sort of surveillance. They'll see Dexter moving around with Viktor, then go on the hunt to find out who Dexter is and probably whack Deb or Harrison as revenge. Bonus points if, along the way, La Guerta begins to suspect Dexter in the Bay Harbour Butcher case, but the mob deus ex machinas the shit out of that and maybe even takes her out in some way (maybe she will take the role that Doakes did after he was tortured in the books?)

That will be the main "villain" arc for this season, while they continue to explore Louis a bit more. I'm assuming he will take on the role as the primary villain in the next season and will have some sort of connection to ITK.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The last scene was so awesome. It was shot and directed perfectly. I'm glad they got it out of the way fast.

I'm hoping this can make up for the past two seasons. However, last year's opener was an AWESOME episode and then it went completely downhill.

I'm hoping that Titus from Rome is a secondary villain this season, and Dexter is the main bad guy like in Season 2. It's best when he's playing cat-and-mouse.

8. Capital

Capital
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I thought the last scene was the saving grace of an otherwise shitty piece of television. Virtually everything was dumb and sloppy. How many episodes was that black cop in, by the way? And could the scene where he was killed have been any lazier? And what was his contribution? Are we supposed to ignore the fact that Dexter was able to drug a guy in a busy airport terminal and kill him in a baggage processing area? I was angry with my television almost the whole time.

But like I said; good final scene. Poor Deborah. And some of the preview of the rest of the season looked promising.

9. Kerbunked

Kerbunked
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ok, got some rants and raves about last night's episode.

The Good:

-Debra treating Dexter like an addict is probably the best way they could approach this. Perhaps her always being on his ass will make it difficult enough for him that it sparks real change (although we saw tonight that he can still easily find his ways to get out from under her gaze with drugs etc).

-The mafia dudes seem like a pretty cool foil this season. Very cold and calculated.

-The stripper-Quinn relationship got off to a pretty funny start

-LaGuerta digging into the Bay Harbor Butcher case again actually seems like it could unload a huge can of worms and I'm all for that.

-Dexter opening up to Deb about what the Dark Passenger feels like was chilling. Whoever put the extra pizazz with the spaghetti sauce to make it look like he was eating fucking intestines or something gets an "atta boy" from me.

The Bad:

-Louis is such a douchebag. I can already tell he's going to be a huge pain in the ass all season and Dexter is going to regret not killing him tonight (even though he hadn't done anything worthy of getting whacked). I can't stand that smug look on his face when he showed up in Dexter's apartment the next day.

-Why the fuck didn't Dexter tell Deb he already killed Victor? The Miami Metro PD is wasting so much time and resources trying to track down this guy and Dexter is sitting there with all the answers and letting them waste their time. Isn't he supposed to be honest with her? Even if he can't get the body back or whatever, there has to be something he and Deb could devise to close the case.

-Harrison just seems like an afterhought at this point, like the writers realized "Oh, Dexter's been away from his apartment for over a day. Let's have him go check up on his only biological child." What the fuck does Jamie do again other than wait on Dexter's every beck and call to look after Harrison?

-It feels like there's so much more they could do with this angle of Deb finally knowing his secret to really juice it up.

-I don't know about you guys but I felt some inklings of a rekindling of the Deb-Dexter love connection that we all were hoping would just go away once she found out the truth and was disgusted. I really, really, really hope that's not the case. Fuck that.

What about you guys?

10. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Louis can eat a warm bag of dicks. Anybody dumb enough to antagonize someone that breaks into your apartment WEARING RUBBER GLOVES deserves everything coming to him. If someone did that shit to me, I'd move to South America and live in a cave somewhere.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I think Louis is going to up his ante and kill somebody. Dexter has to follow his code closer than ever now and the only way he's oing out clean is on the suran wrap table.

I am surprised how well Deb The Superspaz took the fact her brother has murdered dozens and dozens of people. I loved how harsh and cold Dexter's look became when Deb called them "victims".

I really liked that convict at the digging site. Too bad for the ker-splat (made Deb drop the damned ice cream too) he reminded me of Mos Def last season, another great character gone too early.

Quinn has grown on me as a character (his new squeeze is scrumptous). Even if he was the world's biggest douchebag, it doesn't matter. His hair says everything. Especially when he gets wasted and it looks like some psychotic dairy swirl built by a drunken gnome balancing on a stepladder. That shit could deflect small arms fire. It says "I'm LITERALLY not level-headed!" Such an honest mane has the lion to match.

Ray Stevenson makes for an awesome villain so far. Big and intimidating but also so calm and articulate. I think bad shit will happen to Deb or (hopefully) LaGuertta through this guy.

12. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

So, Louis is lying, right? About his motivation being about the video game? Because that was the biggest disappointment ever. I just can't imagine them setting up his attack on Dexter for so long for something so fucking stupid. I liked the idea of him somehow knowing about Dexter, having some tie-in from their past.

I think they're setting up too many conflicts this season. Deb and LaGuerta and Louis and the Ukrainians are all working against Dexter? I know it's the last season and all and maybe so many people zeroing in on him creates extra tension, but I just think it's a bit much.

I loved the little story with the convict. I was a little tire of watching Dexter sympathize with or learn from fellow killers, so I'm so glad it turned out the way it did, with the guy just fucking with anyone and not being any better. I really can't tell whether I want the series to end with Dexter "getting better" or staying bad. This season has a lot of similarities with Breaking Bad's last season, and I can't make up my mind about that one either.

Someone was saying about how they could get hints that the Dexter-Deb love story wasn't over yet, and I was picking up on th t too. Good god I hope that doesn't amount to anything. Worst plot device ever.

This is one of my favorite pairs of sentences.

13. Paperbag

Paperbag
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

“I’m the worst detective in the world” Ha, I loved that line. Wasn’t Deb in favour of vigilantism back in season 5 after watching the rape tapes? She also let Dexter and Lumen escape before calling for help.

I see potential with Louis and I’m also hoping there’s more to him than a petty grudge over a game. Assuming that Louis is telling the truth, was his plan for mailing the ITK hand to frame Dexter for stealing it? If so, then how would he deal with Masuka and the dismissal of the previous intern? I’m still not buying it. Being a computer expert and shutting down a website is one thing, but obtaining the ITK hand implies that Louis made contact with the thief. Is Louis able to intimidate someone bold enough to steal from the police? Possibly. Is the maker of a game about being a serial killer able to identify with someone obsessed with the ITK? I think so. Does anyone remember if Louis got the ITK hand before showing the game to Dexter? I think the answer to this is a clue about whether or not Louis is telling the truth.

I’m trying to put myself in LaGuerta’s shoes and think of her suspect list. Masuka may be a freak, but he helped give her theory credit by confirming bloodslides as the Butcher’s trophy. Batista was her husband and may have been with her during some of the murders. That leaves Quinn, Deb, and Dex.

Another point of interest will be how Quinn reacts when the Bay Harbour Butcher case reopens. He knows that Dexter was involved with Robocop’s death, but will he push the issue or return Dexter’s favour?

14. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why wasn't this the first thing Dexter brought up when Deb had made the discovery that he was a serial killer. There was no better setting than their discussion afterwards.

Can't believe that Deb also hasn't realised how much meddling Dexter has been doing in her police work. It's all well and good to justify killing criminals who escape proper punishment from the police, but we all know Dexter has been meddling with a lot of cases and putting Deb and co off the scent so he can kill them instead.

Now that he has been discovered, he should be filling Deb in on everything concerning previous cases, particularly the one they're working on now. Telling her the circumstances of Lundy's death would also be another be a good start.

I'm surprised she hasn't asked what role he had to play in Rita's death too.

15. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought about that, but it was so clearly the work of Trinity that I don't think it would come up. Also, I think Deb is having a hard enough time realizing that he has killed people, the thought that he had something to do with the death of someone they both knew would probably drive her to the loony bin.

That said, given how much she hated Trinity and given how she was just reading a study by Lundy, I would think she'd at least ask Dexter why Trinity was targeting him, in light of learning his moonlighting habits.

But then, I don't watch this show for sense and reason. I watch it for Dexter shoving people up against walls growl-yelling them into submission. I am not disappointed at all.

I think Lewis has a fascination with becoming a serial killer. He clearly has sociopathic tendencies, thinks he can get away with whatever he wants, already is adept at ruining lives...I think his game was his first step on his way to badness. I swear to god if it ends with Dexter teaching him a code though, I will be livid.

16. cdite

cdite
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think Lewis is going to be one of the main "bad guys" this season, with Dexter doing all he can to not kill him. Unless obviously he gets a reason too.

17. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Woops!

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Another decent episode, and Deb hasn't been nearly as grating as I thought she would be this season (you cantell she will soon cave to Dexter's ways). That "Saw" death maze at the end was a little far-fetched and stupid, though. This show isn't super-smart, but GEEZ man.

That girl who likes Dexter is hot. Definite foreshadowing there.

Ray Stevenson is an awesome villain so far. Next to Lithgow, he's probably my favourite villain so far. Did you not also say "Awwww!" when he stopped trying to drill Louis' eyes out? Still ended with a win, though, Louis didn't have the chops to be a good villain in the first place.

19. cdite

cdite
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Didn't see that coming.

I actually thought the whole Minotaur maze theme was a cool character idea.

20. Paperbag

Paperbag
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It was awesome to see Dexter wipe that smug smile off Louis’ face...twice. It’s too bad that Louis turned out to be a little punk, but I prefer that result to the possibility of him being some sort of apprentice to Dexter or a blood relative to the ITK.

With Batista talking to Dexter about retiring or changing careers it got me nervous about him dying at some point this season.

Any thoughts on where they might be going with Goldilocks? If she’s a love interest, it could shift focus off of Deb’s semi-incestuous subplot. However, we’ve seen Dexter fake a connection with Rita and share a real connection with Lumen, so I’m puzzled as I doubt they’ll repeat one of these. Maybe she'll be similar to Brother Sam and help him to overcome the Dark Passenger.

I was skeptical of Isaac being a good villain because I prefer the psychotic types with a signature style of killing people. Isaac’s definitely growing on me and the fact that he is never alone and willing to kill in broad daylight will make him an interesting challenge.