Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dexter Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by hbax, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was wondering about this because he finally got back to work after an unmentioned amount of time on leave (hunting Rocky Raccoon). I just love how no matter how much they throw into Masuka's weirdness it all seems so natural and hilarious. The dragon tat had me rolling. Have to thank the producers for the long shots of that girl with the fine ass getting the tramp stamp. Good Googily Moogily.

2. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Great point. Fortunately it is set in Miami so you never have a weather change.

Do you guys think Masuka's tattoo artist hit on Deb because she's a les or because she thought Deb was a man?

3. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

No way dude. Her name is LUMEN. As is illuminate, luminous, etc. Considering how much time they spend talking about about Dexter's "darkness" and "dark passenger", clearly she is going to be his salvation or the "light in his life"/"light at the end of the tunnel" type of character. My prediction: something about her is going to turn Dexter around and get rid of his dark passenger.

4. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mike, it is because she was a les. No idea why everyone hates Deb and the actress. But to each their own.

Masuka's one liners are golden, I'm glad the writers haven't driven him into the ground yet. Usually that happens. "Oh the audience likes x? Let's add in 100% more of it."

Can anyone else watch this show without saying "Its' fucking Julia Stiles" every 5 seconds? I can't. Everytime she's on the screen, I don't think "Oh that's Lumen" I think, "Oh shit, its fucking Julia Stiles." I can't fucking get over it. Maybe it was Save the Last Dance that did me in. Maybe it was 10 Things I Hate About you, but I just can't get over it.

5. Andolingus

Andolingus
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I might be early in saying this, but I think this has to be some of Julia Stiles' best work in a long time. Paired with some excellent cinematography and sound (particularly that heart-wrenching scene at the security checkpoint), these guys seem to be nailing her fragility so far.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more commentary on the last episode, considering how much shit is about to get real.

6. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been saying that for the last 3 weeks. Nothing has really started going yet, just a bunch of close calls and more build up..

7. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The build up meter is broken... this show needs to give me something. I don't even care if Dexter stumbles across some poor fuck that deserves to die... just do something already.

Also I HATE the whole relationship between Quinn and Debora. Unless this is the last season or they're going to kill off another detective that gets "too close" to Dexter's secret, they've introduced this too soon. If Quinn really has these suspicions he wouldn't have held off going after Dexter.

Lumen provides an interesting twist but she has to up her game quite a bit otherwise she's dead. I kind of hope they kill her off and that Dexter uses clues surrounding her death to get on the trail of the guys that raped and tortured her. It's the only way it works for me.

8. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Most intense episode of the season. It had the pacing of the last few episodes of last season.
    Still, as always it didn't lose the comedic aspects of it. "It's not a purse", and the whole Masuka crime scene explanation were fantastic.

9. upgrayedd

upgrayedd
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Maybe it's just me, but that explanation of the crime scene didn't really seem like it made sense. There wasn't any real evidence on the naked dude apart from the gun, plus how do they explain there not being any blood around the body at all? It just seemed like they weren't sure what to do so they made up some on-the-fly explanation and moved on. The attention to detail was what I used to like about this show.

10. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The back and forth between Dexter and Lumen during the scene where they followed the blood trail was fantastic. Its a new side of Dexter and Michael C. Hall is just dominating per usual. Their dynamic is one of the highlights of the season so far. Also, I sort of laughed when Dexter said "die die" before snapping the rapist's neck, more dark humor.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought Lumen's whiny ass needed to keep her damn mouth shut the entire scene up until they found the guy. Im glad they had the heart to heart and Dex has his mission now because his storyline was kind of meandering along. Two other things, one I couldn't care less about the entire Le Muerta case. Two, Im not digging how they are handling Dexter thinking his baby is a killer. The face scratch and the "die die" shit felt as hokie as anything Showtime can put out.

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Masuka choking himself while miming jerking off in slow-mo was one of the funniest things ever put on this show.

13. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Of course it doesnt make sense. Its not supposed to. And Im sure they will identify Lumen by the prints on the hose. I'm really not sure where the plot goes after that, but I have a feeling it ends with Lumen wrapped in plastic.

Also I agree with Aetius. Masuaka's scene where he explained what happened may have been the greatest 30 seconds of TV this season.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Normally my suspension of disbelief is set really high for this show. This was one of the biggest offenses to reality the show has put forth. But nit picking the show with basic real life policing techniques would leave me unsatisfied with how good the narrative can be in the show. I thought Dexter chasing down the guy wrapped in plastic was pretty intense.

15. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Masuka in slow mo explaining his theory of what happened was absolute gold. I did finally give in to Lumen, I hated her the first 37 minuets of that episode.

I still love the show but compared to last season it's pretty slow. The parts with Trinity almost left me breathless, the suspense of possibly getting caught with nude running dude in plastic was good but not like last years.

I also was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind signing this petition:

Dear writers of Dexter,

There is no reason to continue with the Batista/ Laguerta storyline. Nobody cares. If you need Batista in the story to continue hunting down side plot bad guys feel free but LaGuerta is useless. Feel free to have Dexter kill her.

Your Friends at TIB.

16. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Signed, WHBS

Especially since in Oz and on this show this bitch won't show me no tittie or none of 'dat ass', and her annoying insistence on pronouncing things with Cuban accent and throwing in Spanish words for no reason. That and she's a whore. Not that I mind whores. Whores are fun.

17. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Best GIF ever

[​IMG]

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I never did get why that Irish guy with the retard brother had such a boner for Oz Legeurta....

19. Pato

Pato
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I can handle chicks in barrels just fine, but that 'machete across the throat'-flashback they show in every fucking recap freaks me the fuck out. That part just gets to me.

The GIF is fucking awesome, though.

20. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Funny you should say that. The machete throat cut scene always looks fake to me.