Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dexter Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by hbax, Jul 24, 2010.

1. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

That was a very well-rounded episode. It had the suspense & tense scenes from the hospital on, and Harrison pulling the head off the doll was hilariously dark.
    I hope the kids come back at some point, but I'm glad they got written out for the time being. The season started understandably slow as it is, there was no need for a "how does Dexter keep the time and energy to go hunting" that we had the first couple eps of Season 4. As for the flashbacks/visions of the blood stain, let's not forget how traumatic Dexter's discovery of Rita was for him. His relationship with blood is more complicated after her death than prior.
    Lithgow was the only legit foe for Dexter who could stand toe-to-toe with Hall as an actor. As much as I enjoyed Season 3, Smits' execution of his character got annoying. I'll be interested to see exactly what role Stiles ends up playing, as I think she can hang. As much as the other actors have improved, they're still way out of Hall's league.

On a slightly related note, as I'm going as Dexter for Halloween, I'm hoping to enlist a large black friend to follow me around from a distance occasionally yelling "SURPRISE MUTHAFUCKA!"

2. IHaveCandyGetInVan

IHaveCandyGetInVan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

They certainly planted that idea in the last episode. It seems like there's too much other stuff going on, with Julia Stiles and the Venezuelan murders, and the nanny is more of a plot device so Dexter or Deb doesn't have to be watching the baby all the time.

3. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why? I can't see any value they could add to the show. Also Astor makes my skin crawl.

4. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just adds to the complexity and the difficulty for Dexter to lead two lives. It could be the last 2 or 3 episodes of the season for all I care, but Cody's relationship with Dexter is one of the few things that gives him humanity.

5. LadyLecter

LadyLecter
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I don't know if I was the only one who felt like this, but while watching the trailer for next week all I could think was that it seemed like a cross between Dexter and a Lifetime movie.

6. Pato

Pato
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I want to see that preview.

Also, did it seem to you guys that Julia Stiles will be encouraging Dexter to kill certain people? Or am I being dumb for thinking I'm the only one that caught that? Probably the latter. Nevermind.

7. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I was quite inebriated watching last night -- should probably watch it again before commenting, but...

It still feels like this season is waiting to take off (how many eps per season again?), but I thought it was...ok. The one part that fell really flat for me was Quinn finding the Mitchell's whereabouts with little more than a Sunday afternoon drive. I am willing to suspend a great deal of disbelief for this show, but it's tough to fathom an FBI in any reality that thinks to move the family of the worst serial killer to a safehouse, but doesn't think to move them from the city he was last seen in. For all they know, he's alive. How tough would it be for him to find them considering they're still within the same city limits?

Julia Stiles is doing good, so far.

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought it was going to be in full swing since last week. Looks like Julia Stiles is going to be in league with Dexter, my guess seeing as every single person to find out about Dex is now dead, that she won't be making it out of this life alive. My interest is really piqued when her past of abuse at the hands of un named baddies. Im with you Pato, it seemed like they were implying that she'll be feeding Dexter fresh kills.

9. 304

Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

When you combine this episode with Boyd's deathbed statement that he was "helping them" It seems like Boyd was probably the tip of the iceberg of some sort of human slavery/torture ring. maybe blonde wasn't his fetish, but someone elses, and he was just the freaky disposal tech for something much bigger. Which Lumen and Dexter will unravel.

Did anyone else get the impression the Internal affairs guy was hinting to LaGuerta that one of her "best blowjobs in Miami" would make the investigation go away?

10. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Was that supposed to be subtle?

I was thinking that or if it's a part of the report, that she actually did blow the other guy, and then the IA will take her down for not reporting a relationship or whatever, like they were going to do last season with batista/laguerta until they got married.

11. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's storylines like this that make me miss Doakes even more.

12. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow I love the twist.

When Dexter bagged Boyd I thought, "fuck. Not this same old formula again."

Pleasantly surprised in the direction this is going. It has the same impact as the whole Trinity saga but there is guaranteed to be MUCH more killing since there's a group out there grabbing girls.

13. Pato

Pato
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Off-topic but whatever. The Trinity blood bath scene is one of the worst things I've ever seen. Jesus Christ.

14. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It seems the image of Harry is taking on a new persona as well. The fact that he wanted Dexter to kill Julia Styles was surprising to me. It seems that Ghost Harry just wants to protect Dexter at all costs. Obviously it's Dexter's conscience, but he never seems to listen to it.

15. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think it's his conscience as much as his voice of self-preservation. Harry doesn't tell him to do what is right, he usually tells him to do what is safe. Dexter is more and more ignoring what is safe for what is human, which I think is an interesting progression.

I'm totally for Julia Stiles feeding Dexter more kills. Although I can see there being a conflict in her knowledge of his killings later on; right now it seems as if he started being a vigilante to avenge his dead wife. I wonder what Lumen is going to think when she finds out he kills just for funsies.

16. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Perhaps he winds up killing Lumen by the end of the season? I could see a situation developing where Dexter "has" to kill her for one reason or another. And I definitely think Dex is becoming more human. It would be a nice twist if in the end of the series he is caught just as he decides to live a normal life and stop killing all together.

17. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She's going to turn into a Miguel Prado type and try to take matters into her own hands and/or start killing people willy nilly and Dexter just can't afford to have that happen.

18. Frank n Beans

Frank n Beans
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I think it'll be more that she tries using Dexter to kill for her. He always has this chance of her going to the police, and she knows it. I think she'll hold it over him throughout the season and at first he'll kill the bad guys she finds, but soon she'll do a Prado and start picking people who don't deserve it and threaten him with turning him in. So then Dexter is at the crossroads just like he was last week. Kill an innocent (kind of) to protect himself?

19. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I assumed he'd end up killing Lumen. Isn't that what happens to the new character each season? I thought that was the show's 'thing'.

And I'd guess it ends up very similar to Prado in that it's someone Dexter becomes very close with, only with her he'll be VERY close. Not neccessarily a bad thing, either (the similarity, I mean).

20. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I wonder if Dexter is supposed to be in present day right now. In season 4 they ended in present day when Rita died*. That was 2009 for the retards. But Dexter season 5 then picked up right after her death. Except Masuka said "It's 2010, who smokes anymore?" in last weeks episode. So maybe were in January of 2010 right now or most likely it's just a continuity error. So, ya know, whatever.

*as evidenced by the Thanksgiving episode at Trinity's home.