Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dexter Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by hbax, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My prediction for how it ends:
    -Astor or Cody tries to kill the baby
    -Dexter has to kill them as a result
    -I'm really not sure where it goes from there, but I have a feeling Deb is going to kill him after finding out his secret, or he will kill himself.

2. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Next week Sunday, bitches.

Predictions for the season:
    1. I don't see a nemesis this season. I do see a season arcing "The Fugitive'-type situation going down.
    2. Deb connects the dots and must decide between being a good sister or being a good cop.
    3. Dexter is caught, put on death row and the series ends.

Things I hope happen.
    1. Angel and LaGuerta are hit by a bus. Hopefully while they're making out.
    2. Masuka is Masuka.
    3. Christine coming back as a nude flashback. Oh yes.
    4. Dexter ties everything up in a bow and drops it off the side of his boat and the series continues.

3. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I only have four predictions, but I'm fairly confident in my precognitive abilities, so without further ado.

Quinn becomes the white Doakes.
    Robocop shows up in Miami.
    Dexter will Save the Last Dance.
    Zero Cool hacks his way onto the scene.

4. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

While I'm genuinely hoping that the series will end, I don't see Dexter getting caught. I'd like to see the season/series end with Dexter being able to leave Miami or at the very least, put the Rita mess behind him. Lead us to believe that we're seeing a happy ending and that Dexter's in no trouble whatsoever.

The final scene would then show some random lowlife walking to his car at night. Just as he's about to open the door, Dexter appears behind him and jabs a syringe into his neck. Cue a "Dark Passenger" comment and the screen goes black.

5. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure about everyone else but I was a tad disappointed by that first episode. I was half hoping that Dexter would unravel and go on a killing spree. Are we supposed to be excited that the plot of this season is Quinn chasing Dexter? Kind of like Doakes chasing Dexter? I guess now the FBI might also be helping Quinn, oh wait that's right the FBI was actually assigned to Miami to catch Dexter before.

Of course the performance by Hall was brilliant, his total lack of empathy in the beginning was amazing. A firm smack to Esther could be helpful, I know, I know she's mourning the loss of her mother, but still just one backhand?

I just wonder if it will be possible to top the Trinity storyline. Lithgow was so fucking amazing I just can't imagine a better season.

I have faith in the writers and above all Hall, but I really didn't see a great blueprint this evening.

6. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This episode felt like the episode that would have ended last season. I'm not quite sure what to make of the direction this season is going to take, but at the same time I thought it was terrific that they started this season this way. All it's doing is making me want to see the next episode even more, and isn't that the goal of an awesomely written show?

7. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Loved it. Some uncharacteristic character moves for Dex, killing the hillbilly, being emotional at times, admitting love. Of course, those last two have always been the long term goal of the character, in a way.

8. bkess

bkess
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Granite, the season finale for the fourth season was legendary, had they ended with this episode a lot would have been left on the plate (not saying that the finale didn't leave a lot on the plate). Specifically, Quinn quickly deciding to go after Dexter and not just keeping his suspicions to himself. However, had they ended last season with this episode, I don't think it would be possible for me to wait 9 months or so for this season to begin.

Anytime that a show makes me crave more like a fiend needs drugs, I generally consider it to be a well written program (Lost and The Wire immediately come to mind). After watching the season premiere, that is exactly how I feel right now. Even with Boardwalk Empire and Kenny Powers also showing on Sunday nights, Dexter is my absolute favorite and I think that we are in for a hell of a season. At the same time, I can see where some people are worried that this season could unravel in the same manner that season two did with Dexter and Doakes. However, as we have seen in the past, the writers for the show always find ways to keep the audience captivated and make a truly great show. Regardless of whether this may or may not be the final season, I couldn't be any happier with the current state of the show and next Sunday can't come fast enough...

9. Marjorine

Marjorine
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I love how they showed us how much Dexter has actually evolved into a real human, using the flashbacks to his first date with Rita. It's a testament to Hall's acting ability that he was able to just dive back into Dexter's (pre)season-1 self. The writers are also really great at tightrope walking over the black comedy line - the Mickey Mouse ears?! Those kids will never want to go to Disneyworld ever again.

10. Macgruber

Macgruber
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Personally, I can't think of an episode that rivals this one on an emotional level, especially from Dexter's view point. They've spent four seasons hammering in the fact that that Dexter does not feel/think/act the way "normal" people would act, and then in this one episode, he does a complete about face and becomes... human. Killing someone almost instantly because they called you a retard? Dexter's number one rule (or number two, I can't remember), was to never kill an innocent. Then due to the fact that he's been suppressing feelings that he thought he wasn't able to feel (Love), he completely throws out the rules he's lived his life by. That's huge for him.

While I loved the episode and thought it was one of the best in the series in terms of Dexter's character development, I am a little worried about where it looks like the season could be heading. I really don't want another "Cop chases Dexter and Dexter outsmarts him" storyline again, so hopefully it doesn't go that way with Quinn. I have absolute faith that the writers/actors will be able to pull it off, I would just rather see something different. I also am pretty sure that Deb and Quinn's afternoon delight will have some larger implications, just not sure what those will be yet. Either way, I'm extremely excited for the season.

Edit: Oh, and good on Masuka for still being a perv, even while he's looking at his friend's dead wife in a bathtub. Nice to see he hasn't lost his edge.

11. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Everyone seems so worried about a Quinn/Dexter, Doakes/Dexter rehash, but if you think about it there has to be a bit of that element. He does work with cops and is kind of odd, any good cop would eventually pick up on that and be suspicious. That said, right now people/Quinn only suspect Dexter of killing Rita, not being a serial killer. I think Quinn is going to wind up eventually proving that Dexter didn't kill her and got involved in Trinity for some altruistic reason. He was, after all at LaGuerta's secret wedding around the time Rita was killed. Talk about alibi. The writers on this show are fucking golden. I'm not worried a bit. Cannot wait for the rest of the season to unfold.

12. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The writing is of course magnificent. I think my only source of concern is this: can Quinn be the formidable foe that Miguel Prado or the Trinity killer was?

I of course want more Dexter. I will continue to watch Dexter first and record Boardwalk Empire, I will also stick to my guns that it is the best show on TV. I'm just a little worried that I may be setting myself up to be disappointed, how do you trump Lithgow?

I thought Doakes sucked the first time around, he was a horrible actor and I felt he was never a match for Dexter. Quinn is a better actor, he seems to be a better cop but still could not hold his own with Dexter. It could get very interesting if Quinn is able to convince Deborah that something is wrong, I hate to speculate but we will need a twist of that magnitude to compare to last season.

Last season was so fucking brilliant that I would be surprised if they are able to surpass it. I can get chills just thinking about Lithgow saying "hello Dexter Morgan."

13. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

I loved that first episode. I can't think of a better example of so much happening even though so little happened. In terms of things that actually happened all we really have is that Rita was buried, Quinn and Deb has a random fuck, and Quinn becomes suspicious of Dexter. That's it. At the same time the roller coaster ride that was Dexter's mind was spellbinding. It was incredibly unusual to see him suddenly butcher that guy in the bathroom. The scene in the funeral home where he went to look at the funeral was incredible. What did he say exactly? Something along the lines of "so this is what death is supposed to look like" or something? Whatever it was, it packed a wallop.

As someone else mentioned, the flashbacks really put the character development in perspective. His date with Rita really exemplified who he was in season 1. Dexter has clearly changed, and I think he is just starting to realize that and isn't quite sure what to do with it. A really interesting arc and way to end the series could be Dexter putting all the mental pieces of his change together to realize he doesn't have to be a monster forever. A person overcoming their demons is always an interesting story when it is done right and no tv show has ever battled demons this horrific.

How special was Dexter's 911 call? Had me cracking up.

Also, as a fan of the show 6 Feet Under when it was on the air, I especially liked the funeral home scene. It had this funny meta-appeal. Especially when the funeral director came up to them and said "I'm so sorry for your loss."

14. Trifecta

Trifecta
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Maybe I have inflated expectations, but I was let down by this episode. It may have just been how it started. They make a big deal with Dexter saying "It was me", like it's some sort of confession. However, Dexter (who has been, until recently, protrayed as a complete genius) has a simple out of that situation:

Dexter: "I said 'it was me' in response to the cop's first question--'Sir, Did you call this in?'. Yes, 'It was me'." Issue resolved.

The writers have always been great on this show, especially with intermixing season-long plotlines. However, this episode seemed to be at times downright cheesy. Dexter's emotional exchanges with Deb were only saved because Hall is a great actor--a weaker actor would have had more people rolling their eyes at the choppier and cheesier dialog. I have no doubt the story "arcs" (as much as I hate that term...) will be great, I just hope the dialog improves.

My guess would be that Quinn will only serve to open Deb's eyes to suspecting Dexter. Quinn won't be the formidable foe; if Dexter caught wind that Quinn was investigating him, Dexter would just have to blow the whistle on Quinn stealing cash from crime scenes/evidence. But if Deb gets emotionally attached to Quinn, he could eventually get Deb to question Dexter when there's certain suggestive evidence pointing to Dexter. Deb has incredible access to Dexter, and her knowledge and access could lead to her catching Dexter. What she does when she finally does catch Dexter will be interesting. Cling to her emotional attachment to Dexter, and defend him? Turn him in?

15. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The fact that her character is often highly annoying makes us often forget that she's a damn good detective. She broke the skinner case, she and Lundy were the only ones who saw through Dexter's "manifesto" for the distraction it really was, etc etc. I really hope the season goes toward Deb catching Dexter.

16. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But isn't that a good thing? They made a big deal of it this episode, but to me it felt like the first of many suspicious (in the eyes of multiple characters) words and actions from Dexter, a bigger one being from the trailer,

when an FBI-ish woman says to Dexter in a small room, "we know you were at Arthur Mitchell's house", and the family starts talking about Kyle Butler.
    Very solid start/season 4 wrap-up, in my opinion. I like that most of the trailer seemed to be from the first episode, and we still have no idea what Julia Stiles will be doing.

17. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

The FBI definitely needs a face. I could see her taking over the investigation and then she and Dexter begin a romantic relationship. Now that would be fucking interesting.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is really what I am hoping as well. Rehashing a Doakes story line with Quinn would be boring and useless, because we all know, even Mike Ness secretly, that Doakes was da baddest MOTHA FUCKA! MOTHA FUCKA! Deb losing her unwavering love for Dex just a tad to allow her to step up and realize he's a killer would be much more satisfying.

I thought it was a good episode. It focused a lot less on setting up the season and more about Dexter's emotional battles.

19. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know this belongs in funny rep comments but I couldn't resist. I had said I didn't think you could trump John Lithgow, Freebis commented that you could trump John lithgow with John Lovitz.

20. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Unlike most of you, I disliked last season and outright hated season 3 to the point I almost stopped watching the show. This is coming from a guy who introduced pretty much everyone he knew to Dexter after season 1. Of course, I am weak-willed and I didn't stop watching.

I'm not sure why a bunch of you think the writing is so tight. Pardon me if they pseudo explained this away last season, but remember Rita's mom from season 2? You know, the one so psychotic no older man would suffer her shit without treating her to a season 3 style skin peel? Where did this magical set of well adjusted grandparents come from?

And honestly, details like that don't bother me much. What bothers me is every scene featuring Angel and La Guerta. Whoever writes their dialogue is an asshat.

All my ranting aside - I think the first episode of this season might be pushing the show back in the right direction. More introspective, not pretending to be a ton of different things Dexter. I wasn't excited for Dexter considering the HBO lineup that just started, but this episode piqued my interest.