Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dexter Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by hbax, Jul 24, 2010.

1. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Edward James Almos (sounds like a serial killer, yeah?) can make me think of him as anyone other than Bill Adama, he will have won already. Also, Colin Hanks!
    (meh)

2. TheLegendaryEsquilax

TheLegendaryEsquilax
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The trailer didn't leave me impressed, sadly. I liked the early seasons because it had a novel concept, but the show is in serious danger of jumping the shark (if it hasn't already). Yes, Michael C. Hall is excellent in the lead role as usual, but the constant pattern of someone new getting involved in Dexter's secret life and him getting almost caught every season has become formulaic, and it's really killing the sense of tension necessary for a show like this. The concept of a serial killer raised to blend perfectly into society and channel his impulses into a warped sense of "justice" is a great one, but you can't keep an idea like this going too long. It really has to end with him getting caught/killed/overcoming his nature, etc. But my point is, you can't make it drag, and I feel that's been pretty apparent the past season.

Also, the writers are really forcing us to find Dexter likable in a way that seems very forced. In Season 1 & 2, I never lost sight of the fact that despite his ability to control himself, Dexter was still a monster. I watched all of Season 5 a few weeks ago and there was this one scene where Dexter killed this random hick who was an asshole to him out of anger. He hadn't killed anybody, he was technically "innocent", so they seemed to go out of their way to make him the biggest asshole on the planet. Dexter said something about his wife dying, and the guy responded with "YOUR DEAD WIFE CAN SUCK MY DICK!!!" Who the hell talks like that?!

The subplots are quite bad, too. Outside of Dexter's storyline, I feel like I have no reason to care about any of the other characters.

3. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My problem with the subplots is that they're always so neatly packaged into one season. Aside from Deb's slow, quiet development into a legit detective, what character has really developed over the span of a few seasons? (They're trying with Quinn, but it seems very scatter shot)

Angel, as seemingly the only uncorruptible character on cast, is painfully misused. He and Laguerta's courtship in S4 was by far the most forced character(s) development I've ever seen. What did he do in Season 5? Lick her scar for 12 episodes? I can't remember.

Thinking back on S4 now, I'm realizing how much Lithgow raised the bar and made me accept the shittiness of a lot of the other character arcs. Rita's 180 from loving and being grateful to Dexter to suburban cuntbag foil was a pretty overnight change as well. The reason Season 4 stood out over 2/3/5 is that instead of having another character getting closer to & learning about Dexter, we had Dexter pursuing his Holy Grail (Trinity's secret to the Serial Killer/Family Man balance).

I wish they'd do something to really mix things up. Dexter has killed 2 innocents since the last few episodes of S4. Could the writers find something to make the audience question the approval for Dexter's execution of Harry's Code they've built up over 5 years?

[/rambling]