Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dexter Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by hbax, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This actually is a decent point, don't Police Officers have to account for rounds fired or something like that?

As for the Grand Am maybe Dexter rolled it and moved it?

2. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Doubtful. As Deb said, "In an hour this place will be crawling with cops. I'd suggest you be long gone by then." With all the cleanup they had to do of the kill room, would they have had time to move a (presumably totaled) car?
    I'm in agreement that they definitely could have gone with a 2 hour season finale there. It doesn't wrap everything up neatly, but it allows me to speculate on some things (what drove Jordan to this, what's going through Quinn's mind, etc). With any luck, some of the loose ends will at least make for solid obstacles early in the 6th season as we're moving into the larger season arc.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I guarantee they write it off with a few scenes and lines. The whole Trinity plot from last season carried the season and lead to a big cliffhanger. Honestly how many episodes did it take to totally move to the Lumen line, maybe 3? Unfortunately for the camp crime scene we won't have a hilarious yet totally implausible explanation given by Masuka. Which reminds me, they now know that the dentist wasn't involved in some gay autoerotic asphyxiation and probably killed by the same vigilantes. Wouldn't they focus on who and why someone killed the random guy wrapped in cellophane at the same murder scene?

4. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A car that Dexter stole shows up totaled? That stuff happens. I think that could pretty easily dead end.

5. Uno

Uno
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

We already seen that LaGuerta does not want to put more bodies back in the red, so it is entirely plausible she will just ignore it, and leave it "solved".

I wish Lumen had stayed, they were setting themselves up for something fairly original, and very interested by seeing Dexter teach what could be a fledging serial killer.

6. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One thing no one has mentioned was the severe lack of nudity. Rita did some nude scenes early on and let's not forget about Dexter's crazy foreign girlfriend who killed Doakes, she had worldclass nude scenes.

Let's hope they get a guest star who is willing to show some t & a, Mazukas date to Harrison's party will be fine for starters.

However to sum up things that need to be addressed next season:

1. Car and bullet at barrel girl site
    2. Isn't one of the head chopping brothers still at large?
    3. Lumen's DNA all over Dan the dentist's crime scene
    4. Quinn's pictures of Dexter, which even Deb could stumble on they didn't look very well hidden
    5. How Mazuka has a women who looks like a model for a girlfriend

Hopefully they begin in the fall so we can ship Aster back to her grandmothers.

7. Carlb

Carlb
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Oh Shit.. I completely forgot about the crime scene at the girl's (blood vile) house. Her body is there, along with lots of Lumen's blood. Or did I miss the clean up?

I bet Lumen is back for the next season, if only for the first few episodes. Julie Stiles last lines in this video seem to point toward that. "Where are they going to go next season.... I mean talk about a secret, Lumen's got some secrets she's going to have to deal with"

and I agree with the above, it's pay cable, show some damn tits.

8. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

I agree with most of you guys, especially audrey monroe, and I think it boils down to this: the writers are becoming a little afraid of taking big risks. They wrapped this season up with a nice little bow on top because this formula is working and the viewership of Dexter is continuously increasing. This way they can start next season fresh with whatever they want knowing everything is back to square one. It's like a corporation that starts off new, young, and innovative and then grows large and develops entrenched profit streams which makes it reluctant to change and innovate further. If they make a big move now (like Deb finding out about his life) they will have to make major changes to how the show is written and what is within the realms of possibilities for Dexter.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing; the formula is good and I enjoyed this season (though not as much as season 4). However, I can see myself getting bored if they don't move Dexter's life forward. I thought the progress from this season would be that Dexter begins to realize he can escape his dark passenger and then in the next season they could do an arc with him struggling against his demons. However, at the end of the season, they firmly established that his "passenger" is not going anywhere...meaning this season might as well have not happened. While the season was enjoyable, I don't think you want a show where you could delete a season and more or less be an episode away from where you ended up.

My two cents.

9. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From WWTDD.

10. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

What the fuck? What they showed on tv can't even be called a sex scene. The sex was all insinuated. Where's the good footage dammit?

11. upgrayedd

upgrayedd
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Thank God, they are using a different showrunner for Season 6. The replacement has been working on the show since Season 2, which hopefully means we will get back to a more detail-oriented show.

<a class="postlink" href="http://screenrant.com/dexter-season-6-scott-buck-mcrid-92959/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://screenrant.com/dexter-season-6-s ... rid-92959/</a>

12. miss_c

miss_c
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Nothing to add that anyone hasn't already said, but I am somewhat disappointed with the ending. It's like the writers got jack of the season and decided to close up shop to start fresh next season. When Lumen left there was still 7 minutes to go. Was anyone else sure that there was going to be some sort of twist. It just filled the end with chit-chat and bullshit.

I enjoyed the story line. However as mentioned before, they needed another couple of episodes to finish the season better.

13. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Too early for a new thread, but here's a non-revealing teaser for Season 6.

#233 shauncorleone, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  14. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Sounds a lot like a teaser for season 5.

#234 Celos, May 9, 2011
  15. Sean Daley

Sean Daley
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

<a class="postlink" href="http://woooha.com/2011/05/mos-def-joins-cast-of-dexter-for-season-6/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://woooha.com/2011/05/mos-def-joins ... -season-6/</a>

I don't know if this has been news for a while, but I just found out. I just finished season 5 and can't wait for season 6, especially with Mos Def joining the cast as a recurring character.

16. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Put a spoiler tag on that shit next time fucktard.

17. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Season 6 trailer is up (minorly spoily w/ a few guest stars)

That should be an challenging kind of role for Colin Hanks.

#237 shauncorleone, Jul 21, 2011
  18. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I thought all the religious imagery (not to mention the song) in there was really interesting. I'm going to assume that's a theme this season, which I can imagine being awesome.

I'm also really excited for the guest stars. And the season in general.

On a related note, I go back and forth on my opinion of Deb's acting skills. There were some scenes that I think she was great in, but I usually think she's a bit of a one-note and/or lackluster. But, since last season I saw her in an off-Broadway play and she was really good in it. I was a bit surprised. Although the truck driver walk is actually the actress' and not Deb's, which made me sad.

19. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Edward James Almos (sounds like a serial killer, yeah?) can make me think of him as anyone other than Bill Adama, he will have won already. Also, Colin Hanks!
    (meh)

20. TheLegendaryEsquilax

TheLegendaryEsquilax
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The trailer didn't leave me impressed, sadly. I liked the early seasons because it had a novel concept, but the show is in serious danger of jumping the shark (if it hasn't already). Yes, Michael C. Hall is excellent in the lead role as usual, but the constant pattern of someone new getting involved in Dexter's secret life and him getting almost caught every season has become formulaic, and it's really killing the sense of tension necessary for a show like this. The concept of a serial killer raised to blend perfectly into society and channel his impulses into a warped sense of "justice" is a great one, but you can't keep an idea like this going too long. It really has to end with him getting caught/killed/overcoming his nature, etc. But my point is, you can't make it drag, and I feel that's been pretty apparent the past season.

Also, the writers are really forcing us to find Dexter likable in a way that seems very forced. In Season 1 & 2, I never lost sight of the fact that despite his ability to control himself, Dexter was still a monster. I watched all of Season 5 a few weeks ago and there was this one scene where Dexter killed this random hick who was an asshole to him out of anger. He hadn't killed anybody, he was technically "innocent", so they seemed to go out of their way to make him the biggest asshole on the planet. Dexter said something about his wife dying, and the guy responded with "YOUR DEAD WIFE CAN SUCK MY DICK!!!" Who the hell talks like that?!

The subplots are quite bad, too. Outside of Dexter's storyline, I feel like I have no reason to care about any of the other characters.