Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dexter Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by hbax, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Please son, it's good but it's no Trinity. Last season had you hanging on every fucking second, every moment. Except of course LaGuerta and Batista.

I'm not sure I want to see Julia Stiles boobs either, I'd rather a nice solid ass shot.

How about Eugene Greer? Weird that he was that fat and still that confident and influential to talk his buddies into gang rape.

It's to easy to think Dexter is going to set up Liddy for the kills I'm excited for the twist.

I will hand it to the writers, after a slow start they have put together a marvelous story.

2. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seriously? That many reps denouncing Julia Stiles hotness? If she had C cups, you'd all agree with me, that's all I'm saying. She's smoking hot, and has been for years.

3. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

It's not like Dexter is ever easy to get through, but man those first twenty minutes or so were emotionally brutal. Anything involving the DVDs was too intense, maybe even more so because we only heard the audio and caught little snippets and saw the stills. The scene with Lumen watching it and Dexter listening in the other room was horrifying. There were a couple of times when I had to stop and take a breath because it was too upsetting to watch.

Watching Lumen get her revenge was one of the most satisfying scenes on television ever. For a while, I was pretty sure she wasn't going to actually be able to do it so I'm glad they didn't have her back out. The scene was just perfect with them setting up the DVD and her stepping in front of the screen, and then with the "Just give me a number" "Thirteen" exchange. I actually cheered. I couldn't breathe when she killed him; it was perfectly acted.

And what the hell is the relationship between the first victim and Jordan Chase?? Holy crap. Fascinating. I need to know more. Now.

I am so excited for the rest of the season. I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeves.

4. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone else thinking that the first vic was "Jordan" Gene's sister?

5. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Excellent, excellent point. Something is way, way wrong there. The girl clearly worships him and is frightened of him all at the same time. It looks like she want's his approval more in a girlfriend way then a sister, but it's a great idea.

I hate to say it and I know it's redundant but Deb is so masculine that it's scary. All the hot ass Hall can get and he marries her? I don't care if she's acting, that strong jaw can not be faked.

6. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That scene with Chase and victim #1 was freakin awesome. She tries to touch his hand, he moves it away, then says "do you know how special you are to me" (or something very close). Just the look on his face. Goddamn. I know we're in the middle of it, but at this point I consider Trinity to be the only season better than this one, and if they end the show with something huge, it could be the best of them all. That would be the ultimate "going out on top" move, and I would respect the writers for doing so.

So I usually don't make predictions, but this one came to me after watching the last episode again. So, all season they've been emphasizing how Dexter really does have feelings and is fully capabale of empathizing with someone else, right? It seems possible that Dexter will come to realize that Harry's code may have done more harm than good, and possibly even more harm than being born in blood. So what I'm thinking, since Deb and Liddy/Quinn are closing in on everything, is that they'll catch Lumen but Dexter will take the fall, making the ultimate sacrifice for the person who showed him he was capable of love. Eh? Eh?

The cool thing is that would only pin these murders on Dexter, not his entire career, and I definitely think the writers could come up with something to keep it all going for one more season, if they really wanted to.

Thoughts?

7. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I think by now, especially for those of you who've been watching it live the whole series, the first season is kind of taken for granted, but I just started watching the show this Fall and the first season is fresh in my mind and I have to say that it's still my favorite season. Trinity was a great villain, he was the best actor, and that first bathtub scene was one of the most terrifying scenes on the show, but there really was nothing like finding out Dexter's story for the first time and all the twists and turns that kept you guessing. And the Ice Truck Killer was just so fucked up; I think he's the scariest story line independently. I was watching six or seven episodes a day just because I couldn't stop myself since it was that good. Trinity's storyline was pretty simple, which didn't make it uninteresting to watch it follow through, but I thought Ice Truck's was more creative. Right now, I'm waiting for this season to end to rank it because it's on par with Trinity for me. I have a feeling this one might come up as second best season, though.

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I finally caught up to this. I have a friend who holds me back from watching it on time. Technically Emily is not victim 1, she's victim zero. Lumen says "There were 13 others after you." The victim 1-12 were actually killed, hence why she is zero.

I still can't watch an whole episode thinking "It's fucking Julia Stiles" yeah, she has a nice ass, but I would fuck Carpenter before I'd fuck Stiles. Julia Stiles face looks like it was a clay sculpture that wasn't finished. It was on its way to be pretty, but then someone just stopped and walked away. I don't mind her tits, its her face. Even though her boobs looked terrible this last episode.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well I agree with your first point. Honestly I don't think Julia Stiles is doing that great of a job in the role, which leads me to the same "it's just fucking julia stiles" as Dex's love interest. I think a myriad of other actresses could pull off the emotionally tormented rape victims scenes that everyone here raves about. Besides that the other emotions she's had to display really don't stand out that much in my mind. She makes due but I think someone else could have really taken the character to another level, Trinity level.

Otherwise I think she is hot. She might not have the spherical roundness of some top tear titties but her ass makes up for that. Ive always defended Carpenter but she does have a more mannish face than Stiles, not to mention they tomboy her up which really doesnt help. Naked I think their bodies are pretty close in amounts of hotness.

The show is finally back to the taught pacing that makes it great. I love how they build tension in scenes by doing slow mo shots. Like when Jordan is directed to Dex's office for the DNA swab. They make eye contact and then a very tense slo mo shot. So far Id say the season is a 7, if they really pull it out in the next few weeks it could be a 9/10.

10. Rutabaga

Rutabaga
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don’t really get the hate on Julia Stiles as an actress. She’s doing exactly what she was cast to do, and doing exactly what she always does as far as I can tell. She plays a very emotionally distant woman who is months away from the single most traumatic event of her life. It’s been 5 seasons and many more years since his life changing event, and Dexter barely ever breaks that emotionally distant veneer. To expect her character to be going through crazy emotional highs and lows misses the point of what the show is trying to say about PTSD. Even Deb’s shooting incident was down played emotionally because that’s what the writers wanted, not because the actress is terrible.

Also, Stiles has played 2 interesting characters her whole career (10 Things and Bourne movies, I’ve never seen State and Main). Why are so many people not allowing her to be an actress? Did that many of you see O and Save the Last Dance? I feel like this is as bad as complaining that all you see is Zero Cool when looking at Chase.

This season as been great. The storylines are all actually converging in a way that is much less forced than seasons 1-3, Robocop is nailing the creepy as shit vibe of his character (but all I see when I look at him is a giant robotic cop), the Bautista / LaGuerta storyline is being pushed to the back burner, and the tension couldn’t be higher. There’s two more episodes left and no one has a good handle on what comes next.

I have one continuity question that I was confused about though. Doesn’t Deb still live at that apartment? Assuming she wasn’t sleeping at Quinn’s anymore after breaking up with him last episode, did they ever establish her staying somewhere else? I kinda thought she might walk in on Dexter and Lumen near the end of the episode to create even more drama, but I then I got confused on everything.

11. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since she flipped out on him at the cop shop, no scenes have really taken place at his apartment or with the two of them even discussing their relationship. The last domestic scene involving her was at Dexter and Rita's old house when she walked in.

12. comet

comet
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

13. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I think the writers tried to cover it with Dexter saying to Deb "You were here all night" or something like that at the precinct. I think we're supposed to believe the time lapse between the last two episodes is only a day or two at most. I was waiting for Deb to walk in on them preparing for the kill in the apartment the whole episode, though.

14. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For people wondering why Deb hasn't been at the apartment while Lumen is there, Deb clearly said, a couple eps ago, (paraphrase)" I think you need your space, I'll move out."

She never said she was moving in with Quinn, and knowing Deb, she plainly didn't. Willing to bet she has her own pad somewhere now. This is not in any way a current plot point, so we should all shut the fuck up about it.

15. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Was there a question whether there was going to be a 6 season? Any show as successful as Dexter is going to make noise about when it is having its last season. We'll see ads everywhere, and all of that good stuff. I'm thinking 6 seasons is good for these 13 episode commercial-less dramas. I highly doubt they're going to kill Lumen again. I mean, unless Julie Benz, Julia Stiles ain't got shit else to do.

16. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, so long, Robocop. You were a douche. LaGuerta saying she'd always trusted Deb's instincts as a cop nearly made me snort beer out of my nose. I guess she doesn't remember season one.

That preview. Holy fuck, the last scene of that preview. Does Deb finally learn who Dex is? That should be fucking awesome.

17. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Fuck me that was a crazy ass episode. That scene of Dexter in the van fighting Liddy then not alerting Quinn was incredible. I was on the edge of my seat. The way I'm seeing it now, that drop of Liddy's blood is going to be Dexter's get out of jail free card. It can be used to pin Liddy's murder on Quinn.

One thing that is pissing me off right now is that the promo for the next episode was right in the credits so of course I watched it.

It pisses me off that the episode ended with us seeing that Lumen is putting up a fight and then right in the promo they show that she is tied up and getting the shit kicked out of her. Completely changes the emotion at the end of the viewing. I wish they wouldn't put the promo right in the credits and put it up on the website instead. That way I could actually decide what I want to see when. Given what we know from the promo it seems to me more like they are going to find a way to make Lumen the vigilante and she's going to go off to jail, thus ending her stint on Dexter, while he gets off scot free and we can start fresh in the next season. Only if there is no next season can Deb find out and then I'm guessing they'll show Dexter, Lumen, and Deb as a 3 man crime fighting happy family of some kind.

18. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was kind of surprised that Dexter was willing to kill Quinn so easily. It's violating his code, when Doakes had evidence on him he kept him locked up for a while trying to figure out what to do. I always figured that Dexter would run or almost let himself get caught before he killed a innocent person.

The way Deb has been gushing about the male vigilante even if she finds out it's Dexter it will just make her love and respect him more. I also think Quinn could end up protecting Dexter somehow to prove his devotion to Deb.

I'd like someone to explain to me the relationship between Jordan and Emily, something is very freaky and wrong there.

Aside from the intense drama and excellent story there is one incredibly obvious reason why the show has been amazing the past two weeks: No stupid LaGuerta-Batista storyline.

I hope they wrap the story up next week, I am in no mood for a cliffhanger.

19. upgrayedd

upgrayedd
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Rule #1. Don't get caught. I'm pretty sure Dexter is willing to do anything to ensure self preservation. Obviously that could chance, but up to this point he's willing to do anything to ensure he isn't caught. Plus, I'm pretty sure that guy in the run down boathouse earlier didn't fit the code, but he killed him anyways.

20. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Guy in the boathouse was an emotional release from Rita, almost an accident. This was planned murder of an innocent man. Not to mention a guy that his sister could be in love with.

I also think he is so focused on getting Lumen to her goal of killing Jordan Chase that he will not let anything get in his way.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Rule one is fairly obvious. I just always pictured that the person to put Dexter away (other than Deb) would be a such a good man that Dexter would not be able to bring himself to kill him and let himself be captured.