Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dexter Season 5

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by hbax, Jul 24, 2010.

1. hbax

hbax
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUbCMbW-BRE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUbCMbW-BRE</a>

The trailer for Dexter Season 5 is out after Comic Con and it is a great teaser without giving away TOO much. Reminds me a little bit of season 2 with Dexter competing with a cop who knows that something isn't quite right with him. Is Dexter the best show on TV right now? I'd say so, although cases could probably be made for Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and a few others.

2. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't speak to those other shows, but I'm of the belief that Dexter is one of the best shows I've ever watched.

Seeing Dexter almost snap at the end of that trailer made me wet. I know I'm not very creative, but I can't see a plausible way Dexter manages to stay ahead of the Trinity killing and having Rita's murder pinned on him.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was an amazing trailer. I've never watched a show where I've been hooked and uncomfortable the whole time before Dexter. I hate how Quinn is basically a black version of Dokes, but someone always has to be suspicious of the guy. And Quinn needs to take off at least 2 layers of make-up.

4. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Jesus, can September 25th come soon enough? I've been dying for over a year now and that trailer just made it even tougher. I always have trouble deciding which is better, Dexter or Breaking Bad. Right now Dexter gets the nod because of longevity.

5. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh my fucking god that trailer is sweet. Seriously. How the fuck is he going to explain to that woman how/why he was in Trinity's house?

Been re-watching the last season each week with the roommie, and whenever it's a Rita scene, I can't help but yelling at the screen, "Run Rita! Take the kids and just go far far away forever!"

Ugh.

6. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched all four seasons of Dexter in the last couple of months, and this fucking show is sooooo good. I think I actually came while watching the trailer. I would have to say, as good as Breaking Bad is, this show is just a notch better. I don't have Showtime, but I'll be downloading every episode as soon as I can for sure. Sucks that Julie Benz is gone, she's super hot but she's going to be starring in a new show with Michael Chiklis. Can't wait for that one, they both rock.

7. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

There was a second video released, too:

Doesn't reveal anything that the trailer didn't.

#7 Dread, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks for that catch Roxanne.

I love that this show isn't scared to go balls out every season. They could play it much safer, but they don't and god bless them. I keep thinking every season, "Man they should have probably kept that for the final season, what are they going to do next season?" Then they deliver. Good thing Dex Michael C. Hall beat his cancer or I would have been very upset.

9. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

If season 3 and 4 were any indicators, we'll get the first episode leaked online before the end of September. I remember they always send out copies of the first episode to critics and whatnot for reviews. I don't know when that will be, but I think we'll get it late August/ early September. Does anyone remember when that premiere leaked last year?

Anywho, even though I think breaking bad is better; Dexter is my second favorite. It seemed like this season would never fucking get here. AND it's still two goddamn months away. By the way,

Can we please put future plot lines and comparisons about the book in spoiler tags? This was a huge problem last season on the RMMB. PLEASE?!

I've been avoiding the Dexter books for a long time just for this reason.

10. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly, the show has diverged so much from the books it's like discussing two separate series.

11. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got to completely agree. I gave the first book a fair shake after watching the series. There were some things about the book that I liked such as Deb being a more interesting, less shrill character. But for the most part the books suck monkey balls. I couldn't even make my way to the second book.

What the writers have been able to do with the characters has far surpassed Jeff Lindsay's abilities and vision to date. He started with a great idea. They've actually breathed life into it.

12. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't know if any of you saw this, but I found it enjoyable.

#12 E. Tuffmen, Jul 28, 2010
  13. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While I'm super excited for the start of the show I'm apprehensive about Quinn as a decent adversary for Dexter. Doakes was garbage and I was glad to see him go but Prado and Trinity really brought this show to the next level. I think it might have also been that the actors were so much better but the characters really gave Dexter a run for his money, which made for amazing entertainment.

I think what we really will be seeing here is Dexter vs. himself, that conflict is always present but this season I think we could really see him start to unravel.

Don't worry about the books, this show has evolved way beyond them. Very rarely does a show or movie outshine the book but what Michael C. Hall has done with Dexter is absolutely fucking amazing, I could have never imagined Dexter better than what he has given us.

I really hope we steer away from the LaGuerta/ Batista relationship, every time the two of them came on the screen I wanted to scream. You were so drawn in with Trinity and Dexter then when a they came on the TV it was a monstrous let down.

Does anyone know how many seasons of the show they plan on making? Is there an end in sight? I just wonder if they build towards a finale of some sort.

14. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My understanding was, by the time of the S4 finale, all the actors were only signed for the 5th season. I'd really like to see them make this the final season (not because I want to see it end, mind you), though I don't know how they can end it without completely ruining Astor, Cody and Deb's lives.

15. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That is a huge relief. I just remember people discussing future plot lines on Sunday night trying to guess where the show was going next. The worst of it all was that you didn't even know if it was right. You had to wait a week just to find out if you read a spoiler. I remember thinking that people got them accurately sometimes. But if you say it's nothing like the book maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

16. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seems roughly equivalent to True Blood. They took a mediocre book series with an awesome premise, and made it TV gold. They kept the basics of the characters and plot, and then ran with it in their own direction.

If people wanna pipe in (after the episodes, obviously) with how the books are different than what we're seeing, I have no problem with that.

17. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really want to see the creators have the balls to end the series with Dexter getting caught. I think it's fitting from a thematic point of view and after rewatching season 2 I just want to see how the writers handle it. The end of season 4 gives me hope that they have the cojones to pull it off.

18. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Agreed, I'd also like to see them have the balls to not only do that but do it without announcing "this is the final season". With a show like Dexter where he could theoretically get caught at any moment, it kind of kills the drama when they announce there will be another season halfway through the current one, even though it would completely suck for the show to end, it would be all sorts of awesome if the creators had the balls to abruptly end it without letting anyone know.

19. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Look... I'm just as excited about the new season of Dexter as anyone else, but... Is it just me or is this new promo very lame and underwhelming?

#19 Dread, Aug 18, 2010
  20. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

eh. maybe. But at least the season will be fresh and unseen. Everyone knows Dexter is awesome. No need to advertise anymore.

#20 redbullgreygoose, Aug 29, 2010