Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dexter Season 4

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by travis, Oct 19, 2009.

1. fourtytwo

fourtytwo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Heh, yeaah. Mad Men. Wait..that's AMC.

Sons of Anarchy? No...that's FX.

Breaking Bad? Damn it, AMC again.

Big Love? No, Never mind.

Uh...Weeds? Yeeeaah. Weeds.

Seriously, though. They kill off one of many weak characters and you fall all over yourself to talk about how awesome the show is? The show is Michael C. Hall + Guest Star. Everyone else is irrelevant. And that's fine, but I find it hard to say it's the best show on cable. Especially when the LaGuerta/Batista storyline took up so much plot and turned out to have absolutely no significance this season -- and you know next season they'll be having marital problems and we'll have to sit through that in order be allowed to watch Hall do his thing, like having to eat our vegetables before getting some tasty tasty meat.

It was a good season and a great finale, and I'm thrilled the writer's are taking the series in an interesting direction, but on the spectrum of other TV this season, it just doesn't compare.

2. Marjorine

Marjorine
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

John Lithgow said in one of his interviews that Trinity was very intuitive and though he didn't know exactly how Dexter's "dark passenger" came about, he did know enough about him to know that the manner in which he left Harrison would be truly upsetting for Dexter. I do think it is possible he found something at Deb's about Dexter's mom, though.

Agreed. He'll HAVE to remember Trinity talking to Dexter - would the writers have put that subtle glance in just to fuck with us? It's possible, but the writers seem better than that, they love putting in little details that come back to haunt us later. And as for Batista, he really is a good cop. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he the one who figured it out about the missing boys and to ask Scott Smith about his abductor?

I am worried about the "timing" of Season 5. I want to see the direct aftermath of Rita's death and its effect on Dexter. I want to see what he does, who he calls, where he goes directly after discovering her. If they resort to putting it nine months in the future, they'd have to show some flashbacks (I know that's a very Lost thing to do, but still).

All in all, a pretty great season. Definitely the darkest. For me, the whole "missing boy" angle affected me a lot deeper than I expected. And I was quite moved by Rita and Dexter's scene, where she is telling him he is a good person. It just made the end that much more heartbreaking.

3. megan

megan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

That's true. I guess if Batista did have any sort of suspicions about someone on his force, especially with him being in a position of authority, he probably wouldn't just come out and tell everyone right away. Maybe he wants to look into it more before saying something.

4. kdeuce

kdeuce
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The whole Harrison in blood thing has to be coincidence. There is no way that in one day Trinity figures out Dexter's real identity, goes on the run, pawns off some jewelery, murders Rita all while researching Dexter's true past. The ONLY plausible explanation is that Deb left the article up on her laptop about the shipping container murders. I also have a hard time believing that Harrison managed to sit still in a pool of blood for as long as it took Dexter to chase, catch, kill and dispose of Trinity. Maybe I'm nit picking though.

The thing that really bothered me about the ending was him running past Harrison and sitting with Rita. I know he was in shock but fuck. To leave your kid sitting in blood, something he experienced too, is beyond me.

5. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't felt this moved and emotionally churned from an event since they killed Wallace on "The Wire". I instantly put my hands on my head and was like seriously? I just was flabbergasted. After her being semi-annoying and "weak" in her initial appearances, I came to really like her character (besides Julie Benz being a fox) and her effect on Dexter. This is just...wow. I can't imagine what its going to be like for those kids...

6. WWSwagger

WWSwagger
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Just watched it on DVR....so yeah, holy wow motherfucker shitfuck.

I'm not even close to having my thoughts together yet, was excited to see all of your guys reactions...I'm floored right now. My favorite show out there, and my favorite season thus far.

Simply incredible.

The homicide department would have no reason to interview him before they made a connection to 10 year olds being kidnapped by Trinity.

7. Gummybear75

Gummybear75
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The way they set up Dexter becoming legitimately emotionally attached to his family before have Rita killed really set this up for me. You almost started to actually believe that Dexter was going to make an effort to control his dark traveler and change. Next season, I that Deb figures out who Dexter really is. In the end I think she will do nothing, and let him run away and disappear, so to say. Of course, all of this is after his extremely brutal, very awesome murderous rampage on the scum of the earth, avenging his wife's untimely death... Overall I loved this finale and thought this was the best season yet. Lithgow deserves an Emmy for his work, creepiest villain ever hands down!!!

8. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well that was some heavy shit to watch at 7AM this morning. I really wish I had watched Californication after Dexter instead of vice-versa but oh well.

I liked the ending because it surprised me. Dexter's life has come full circle from when he was left in a puddle of blood himself.

A few points/ideas about Season 5.

- Dexter will call the cops and not simply dump the body. He won't treat Rita like he does the murderers he dispatches

- The cops (mainly Batista) will remember seeing the face of the biggest serial killer in the police station which will provide Dexter with a reason for Trinity killing Rita. They might also think that Trinity knew his daughter killed herself thanks to Deb and that Trinity was exacting some type of revenge through Dexter. It's plausible and nice and clean.

- Rita becomes another conscience for Dexter just like Harry, maybe even replacing Harry. The "we need you" line will be echoed constantly throughout next season.

- I really hope they don't turn Dexter into the typical overwrought/stressed single dad raising three kids. Maybe for an episode or two but the whole season can't go that way or it'll be horrible and boring. I can see the major conflict being Dexter's desire to cut and run rather than raising the kids. The influence of Rita and Deb will win out in the end.

- I don't think Quinn will have too much to do with any "outing" of Dexter. They already had a season about that with Doakes.

- I don't see the Miami cops being an issue for Dexter but rather the FBI that has taken over the case. The FBI is in town and the last person to have contact with Trinity is the bodyshop guy who will call the cops as soon as they start putting out Wanted bulletins. This will keep the FBI in town, and will likely bring in a new/younger version of "Lundy" that will become Dexter's adversary and Deb's love interest.

9. Muney

Muney
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Was thinking about the whole "timeline" as to if Arthur could have killed Rita. Now i'm not saying that he didn't, just with all this talk of it possibly being a dream and stuff has me thinking.

Rita took a taxi to the airport. If she took a taxi there, she obviously took one back, and since she just forgot her id, she would have presumably just ran into the house, with the taxi waiting outside. The driver would have noticed if she didn't come back out.

10. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

We don't know how much later the next flight was. Presumably she just took the taxi home and was waiting to call another cab.

11. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

She's dead, the producers have said it. Take it from Dex himself

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/12/15/dexter-michael-c-hall-talks-finale/

12. BeerMonster

BeerMonster
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

She was taking a later flight, wasn't she? She was probably going to hang out for a bit, and call another taxi later. Trinity took advantage.

This was the biggest surprise in any TV show to me since Shane blew up Lem on The Shield. I had the same reaction too - "hoooollly SHIT!"

13. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed, the only reason I wasn't blown away more was that me and the girlfriend concocted a similar scenario that had Deb in the tub and not Rita. Trinity would have snatched Cody from Disneyworld and buried him, killed Deb and dumped her in the tub and the cliffhanger would be Trinity and Rita at the top of a very tall building with the final scene being Trinity trying to get her to jump or he'd kill her family.

14. Kerbunked

Kerbunked
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I don't get how people are confused as to the timeline for when Trinity killed Rita. After Rita left in the taxi, Dexter went to Trinity's house where they said he had left in the night.

They showed Trinity breaking into Deb's apartment (formerly Dexter's) the night before, so that gives him plenty of time to find Dexter's new house. He was probably at Dexter's house about the same time Dexter was hiding in Trinity's coffin. That's plenty of time to kill Rita and go pick up his mustang.

15. Trifecta

Trifecta
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I think my confusion was that when Dexter put her in the cab, wasn't she heading on her way to the airport and then the Keys? When would Trinity have intercepted her? I suppose she came back and forgot something. Maybe I missed that. I suppose it also would explain why Dexter wasn't rushed to get to the Keys. He said he'd meet her after work, but he's clearly shown late at night disposing of Trinity's body (presumably hours after he would have been done with work, and also quite late to meeting Rita). If they determined that instead she'd take a later flight, it would explain how Trinity got Rita, and why Dexter wasn't in a hurry to get down to meet her.

I'll need to re-watch the finale when I get time.

EDIT: I clearly missed Rita forgetting her ID...

16. IHaveCandyGetInVan

IHaveCandyGetInVan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

How much cooler would it be if Lithgow came back as his dark passenger personified?

17. megan

megan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Also just noticed Lithgow's middle name is Arthur.

He got the Golden Globe nomination today for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television. Hope he wins.

18. WWSwagger

WWSwagger
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Ok..still floored by that episode. Couple of thoughts I have..

-Totally agree with the above, I could absolutely see either Rita or Lithgow being another ghost mentor figure..it could get crowded with Remar still floating around as ghostdad.

-Next season is going to be decidedly different than any other before it. The other seasons were basically wrapped up and tied with a neat little bow. Not even close with this one..obviously. Whereas the others basically started anew, this next one is going to be season 4.5 in some ways. Interested to see if Dexter completely loses it, or if he tries to pick up his life and continue the way he had. My money is heavily on the former. I think he falls apart, I think at some point the kids get farmed out..even if just for a short time, I think he kind of goes off the deep end.

-I don't see a lot of fingers being pointed at Dexter or questions asked by the department. Reasons have all been said here: Dex has an alibi, Trinity has a connection to Dexter (albeit a thin one), and mainly I think he gets a pass because his wife just got brutally slain. I DO see a lot of questions being thrown at him by Deb though. Just like what often happens, the department is going to go about it's business and Deb is going to do her own thing and unearth a million questions like usual.

-Please don't let Rita's mother come back and be a presence next season...I know there has to be one annoying storyline every season..but that woman was intolerable.

-Speaking of side storylines...how can they have random other storylines next season? Every other season had a slow buildup where side stories were introduced..I have no clue how this season can be anything but 100mph from start to end.

-Very curious to see if Trinitys family plays a part next season, particularly if Deb decides to take some time to interview them..could be interesting when the search for Kyle Butler gets underway.

-Speaking of that, in the finale when Quinn corners Dex in the parking lot he says something about going to do field work on the Kyle Butler case...be interesting to see if that comes back to bite him in the ass.

Still reeling from that episode, still pissed I have to wait so long for next year, still absolutely adore this show.

19. FuckerTax

FuckerTax
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

There is nothing I can really add to everything that has been said previously, but let me get my "Holy shit" in here. I saw it on DVR this morning at 3 am. I had to miss it the night before and after another late night of obligations I could not wait any longer. NO show, ever, has made me feel like this. I did not get on any website that might reveal a spoiler yesterday, that means no Facebook, no YouTube, and no TiB... I'm glad I took the extra precautions. Wow.

In my opinion, greatest show on television hands down. Which brings me to my real reason for posting, where has any credible source said that next season is the last season?

I read that a few pages back and have not been able to find a reputable source. So, if this is true (I hope to god it's not) then it doesn't make sense. I just read that this season finale had 54% more viewers than the previous. That is HUGE for a show in its fourth season. Huge for the writers, for Showtime, for everyone. There's no way they will let this thing go... Right?

20. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It was the highest watched show for Showtime in more than a decade. The cast/crew is only signed on for one more season as of right now. IMO if Showtime really wanted to keep us in suspense next season, if they do in fact sign on for season 6+, they should wait until after the season to announce it. That way the entire season they can build the suspense of Dexter might actually get caught/killed.