Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dexter Season 4

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by travis, Oct 19, 2009.

1. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I've had probably less than 10 moments in my life where I've said "holy shit" aloud at the TV, and the end of that season was definitely another one. Because I don't want to gush, I just want to point out one annoyance I had:
    Deb's become a pretty good cop over the past few years, so you'd think she might just make a connection between one serial killer brother and the fact that the other child works for the police, a fact made very clear about the Bay Harbor Butcher in S2. I'm sure she could subconsciously keep herself from making that leap, but it seems to me like the Laura Moser finding was rushed and added onto the episode. Aside from that, it was brilliant.

Questions:
    - Didn't Angel walk past and notice the Arthur/Dexter showdown?
    - Do we think the Mitchells could eventually out Dexter's connection to Arthur?

I truly don't know how they're going to write next season.

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

FUCK.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck FUCK.

That was the most messed up shit in the history of messed up shit.

What now?

3. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

What the FUCK?! What do they do now? Before I go on about how fucking amazing this show is, I do want to say that I don't like HOW out of nowhere that was. Maybe it's just because I liked Rita, but still.

That aside, WHAT THE FUCK?! Does Dexter call the cops and risk tying himself up in the Trinity investigation where his own transgressions can possibly be revealed (knowing Trinity for a while, Arthur's family has seen him, as have numerous volunteers) or does he do the unthinkable and mop it up and make Rita disappear? As fucked up as that sounds I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, and it would be the smartest play here.

4. three sheets

three sheets
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Trinity's daughter killed lundy and herself. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to tie it to Deb and not Dexter. As for everything else, I need to digest it all a little more before I even start to guess where they go from here.

5. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Wow these writers have balls. I was on the edge of my seat after Dexter killed Trinity waiting for the shocking ending. When he was on the boat I was waiting for them to show Quinn watching him from the distance...nothing happened. When he got home I expected Rita to pull up behind him having followed him, didn't happen. When he checked his messages I expected there to be a message about Ritas plane crashing or something, I never expected her to be in the bathtub, holy crap.

1 question though...Dexter came from the trunk/backseat of Trinitys car correct? I was believing that he was in the car from the body shop until the car broke down, or he was at least following him from the body shop until he had an opportunity to get in the car. When did Trinity kill Rita? Was Dexter in the trunk while Trinity was inside the house killing her?

6. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

In the interview after w/ Michael C Hall and John Lithgow, Lithgow mentions how viewers will be rewinding back to their conversation after seeing the ending. While I didn't rewind it, I did just catch it re-aired while flipping channels, and everything after Dexter says "I have a family too, Arthur" is especially chilling, especially Arthur's repeated "it's already over" which gets a confused look from Dexter.

7. camwilson

camwilson
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Just thought I'd point out this tidbit I found on Lithgow's wikipedia

Creepy.

8. SaintBastard

SaintBastard
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I just watched the finale and it felt like Hitchcock just took a shit in my head. I can't remember a season finale is recent memory that was as fucked up / awesome as this one.

I don't care if John Lithgow is the nicest guy in the universe. If I am ever meet the guy, I will still be creeped the fuck out.

9. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

WHAT THE MOTHERFUCKING SHIT NOW!?

Wow. I seriously did not see that one coming at all. I agree with Dexter chopping up Rita. It'll be a lot harder to explain away to the family where Mommy went, but it's really the only play he's got that still allows him to operate. If, for whatever reason, the cops get in on this, they're going to put two and two together. Seeing as the show is only set to run through next season, I could definitely see Dexter's life falling apart around him, leading up to either Quinn or Deb taking him down at the series finalie.

10. Kerbunked

Kerbunked
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I don't know about you guys but I think hiding Rita's death would be just as bad a move as calling 911. Quinn is already suspicious of Dexter. Do you think he's just going to sit there and let Dexter's wife go missing without raising an eyebrow?

That was fucking insane.

11. cllrbone11

cllrbone11
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Jesus. I thought I was going to be sick after that episode. Wow. What are these writers trying to do to us? Shit.

My roommate thinks that the Rita death could be a dream. He smokes a lot though so I'm going to disagree with him there. I can't figure out when Trinity killed Rita though. Why did Dexter just get the message when he got home, wouldn't he have his phone on him during the day? Unless he had it off or something while he was in the trunk so it wouldn't give him away? I'm trying to remember whether Rita said the moon was nice out or if it was supposed to be nice, the roommate tells me she said it was supposed to be nice which would allow for Trinity killing her during the day, but if she said it was nice she would have to be able to see it in which case Trinity would have killed her sometime during the night while Dexter was waiting in the trunk, though I guess he would have gotten out once Trinity stopped. Jesus what a show. Seasons 1 and 2 here I come I guess. September's a long ways away, this sucks.

12. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

You can't say you weren't warned. Jesus Fucking Christ. I'd like to see the next season pick up right where this one left off. If they show us Dexter 9 months later all fucked up or whatever that's going to suck. I want to see what happens right after.

13. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I honestly can't believe that episode. I had a strange feeling because when he finally did get Trinity it was too clean and easy. The ending was such that it's all we have been posting on but how about the back and forth between Dexter and Trinity while he was on the table? AMAZING. He was so calm, Prado wasn't that scared but he was incredibly angry and emotional. Also Dexter was kind of "sympathetic" with the trains and record?

I couldn't believe they ended the show that way. It was so powerful that my wife was literally upset. For the rest of the night she kept saying "I really did not like that ending!" What an amazing perfectly written season. The past two seasons have propelled Dexter to the best FUCKING show on TV period. I always loved the show but now it is pure genius. I'm sad that I have to wait so long to see it again!

Next season I'm pretty sure Quinn will be a major adversary if not the prime antagonist. Should be interesting he is smarter and has lower morals than Doakes.

I'm curious to see what will happen if Dexter run's into Trinity's family, it may be difficult to explain how he knew them. Maybe tell Deb he had a hunch about who Trinity was, it cost him Rita so she would let him be?

I officially forgive the writers for the LaGuerta/ Batista crap, let's just end it and wrap it up now.

Michael C Hall should grow his hair back ASAP he looks awful with a crew cut.

Move over HBO your reign is offically over the best show on cable is on Showtime.

14. Muney

Muney
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Fucking assholes with Dexter spoilers in their facebook status. I didnt watch it last night and planned on watching it on my lunch break. I logged onto facebook this morning and BAM right there. "Cant believe Rita got killed! Dexter is now a single dad of 3". I ripped into that person and told them to go die. It totally ruined everything for me.

That being said, it was still the most amazing season finales I think i've ever seen. It was perfect.

The part where Arthur is on the table and Dexter says "I still have a family", you can see Arthur realize that Dexter doesnt know Rita is dead yet. That whole scene was perfect, but that part jumped out at me the most.

Also, why the hell didnt they interview the kid long before that? How long after he got kidnapped was this episode to have taken place?

15. Trifecta

Trifecta
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have basically no idea where they go now.

Dexter the single father of three? I guess it'll have to be done. What legit reason could Dexter give to put the kids under someone else's care? Why would he want to after the whole season stressed how important they were to him?

Dexter has to call the cops about Rita. If he calls the cops, her death is explained as a Trinity victim. It will raise questions about Dexter and Trinity, but those would be much better than the questions raised if Rita disappears. If Rita just goes away, what does he tell the kids? How does he handle the missing person report? Matsuka already knows Dexter and Rita's relationship had some strains, and the neighbor knows Dexter could get violent about it. If Rita is a Trinity victim, Dexter is questioned in connection with a murder. If Rita disappears, Dexter is a prime suspect.

Deb will have to get over her blinding loyalty, but I see her as being the main person looking into Dexter next season. Quinn might make more sense if he wasn't such a meathead.

There will probably be some development regarding Harry's death next season. Matthews' behavior was suspicious about it, and they've never been clear that Harry was actually a suicide. In fact, Matthews is the only reason to believe Harry's death was a suicide, so perhaps he was involved with Harry's death. Restoring Harry's honor in Dexter's eyes would probably inspire him to be a good father role for his own kids.

I thought season 4 was great, but the finale somewhat of a letdown. A repeat of the season 1 "I overhead the dispach and got here before most of the cops" finale situation at Trinity's house, a complete character break when Dexter becomes aggressive with the cops, pretty strange logistical holes in the timelines/plot, and I generally found the finale of Trinity to be pretty dull compared to other seasons.

That said, I fully realize that I'm just griping about it not being flawless. It is still among the best shows on TV airing now, and Lithgow should at least get an Emmy nomination. They've continuously discovered new and interesting ways to develop Dexter's character, and I anxiously await Season 5.

16. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Q&A with John Lithgow on right now at http://www.facebook.com/dexter?v=app_189630506587

Few thoughts:
    - If that was a dream, then fuck this show. That's some Heroes type shit (not keeping people dead).
    - When did they announce the show was done next season?
    - I figured out what left me mildly bothered about the last episode. It just seemed SLIGHTLY rushed. We didn't see anything really about Trinity discovering Dexter's real life and we didn't see Dexter tracking down Trinity and stealing the oil cap, so we only get the two "holy shit, Dexter did all of that and he was in the trunk!"and "holy shit, Trinity found Dexter's family and killed Rita!" moments. A little more buildup would have been nice, but the episode was still 9.5/10.
    - If next season is the last, Deb is going to figure out Dexter after a lengthy investigation and will either turn him in or be the one that accidentally kills him.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im not buying the hiding Rita line either. It be pretty easy to get a ball park time of death and Id say it probably happened while Dex was with the police at the Trinity house, thus providing an alibi. They did set it up nicely that Trinity disappears and the FBI is now on the hunt for him with the last victim being directly connected to Dexter.

My bet is on Deb and Quinn getting together with Dex having to dispatch him thus being directly connected to killing another one of her love interest with Deb having to choose whether or not to kill dexter.

18. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Agreed. If they have Dex call the cops they can set it up nicely for next season where Quinn doesn't buy it that its just a Trinity killing (doesn't fit the pattern etc...) and starts investigating the connection to Dexter a lot closer. If she just disappears Quinn will still be suspicious but without knowing exactly what happened to Rita the trail goes cold pretty quick.

19. megan

megan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Wow - that was wild. The writers have their work cut out for them next season.

I can't find now who said this, but where did you hear next season is going to be the last? Seems like a bad move for Showtime with Dexter gaining more and more viewers each week. But if it is the final season, it is good timing as Dexter finally left enough loose ends for someone to figure him out.

One thing that I can't get over is how Batista didn't recognize Trinity from the police station. As annoying as his story line was this season, Batista is a great cop. They showed him looking directly at Dexter and Trinity when they were talking and I think he would have remembered. I thought for sure it would come up when Arthur's picture was posted in the middle of the evidence board.

It will be interesting to see how Dexter handles the way Rita was killed. It will lead to way too many questions if they see her in the tub or if Dexter cuts her up and makes her disappear, so he may be screwed either way. My friend mentioned that he could alter the crime scene, but then he would have to do something to hide the signature cut Trinity slices on the woman's leg.

Do you think Trinity putting Dexter's kid in the puddle of blood was a coincidence, or did he find out about Dex's past? It doesn't seem believable that he would have figured that out so quickly, as it took Deb months and she knew where to look and had all the police resources. The only thing I can think is that Trinity may have found the case files in Deb's apartment.

Also, whoever asked why Dexter didn't get Rita's message earlier, that is a great point. When I watched it back today, I thought maybe he goes into his house and turns his phone back on and gets the voicemail, but no, it just starts beeping in his pocket.

20. IHaveCandyGetInVan

IHaveCandyGetInVan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I have to assume this will come up next season. It seems plausible that with everything going on, the fact that he'd seen Trinity in the station with Dexter either slipped Batista's mind, or he wasn't sure what to make of it and didn't say anything. But for the writers to specifically include the slo-mo shot of Batista looking at Trinity and Dexter, and then ignore that entirely, would be uncharacteristically sloppy.