Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dexter Season 4

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by travis, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A lot of people think the Vacation Murderer killed Lundy, and I have to say this is the most probable scenario in my mind too. I was just thinking of something though.

They made it out like the VM's motive was primarily to rob people and he just found it easiest to kill them in the process. If he saw Lundy's name in the paper and sought him out only to kill him, then that kind of puts his motives into a new perspective. It makes it seem that his pathology for killing these people is because they're from out of town, and robbing them is only an after-thought.

Or perhaps VM saw Lundy was investigating his case, got scared and killed him.

Even if Trinity did it, if it was one of those 2 guys, both cases involve someone deviating from their usual MO and makes me ask "Why?"

Whatever happened to the lead Angel and Leguerta had on the Latino guy who shot at them? Do we still think he's the VM? If so, why would he surface and stick his neck out to shoot Lundy? Seems kind of risky for a guy who already knows the police are onto him. If I was that guy I'd have gotten the hell out of Dodge by now.

2. Kerbunked

Kerbunked
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I wouldn't be surprised if Lundy was killed by the Vacation Murderer. He could have easily thought, after reading that article, that Lundy, the hot-shot FBI profiler was on his case instead of chasing after Trinity. It would make sense to kill the guy you think is coming after you.

3. Hello

Hello
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I think the family theory is perfect. I think that his father was abusive and/or caused the deaths of the mother and sister. After all, he did say "it is all your fault" to the drunk outside the bar.

The most interesting thing about Trinity is the mystery surrounding him. Where does he live? What does he do for a living?

4. WWSwagger

WWSwagger
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Wow...

I was agreeing with what some of you were thinking with Trinity; as far as believing all the things Lundy had said about him so far. IE: Lone wolf, nothing to tie him down, minimal human contact, etc...
    The revelation from tonight...just wow. I loved the episode, even Deb's hysterics didn't get on my nerves, but the last thirty seconds blew everything out of the water. What an amazing twist that opens up such a world of possibilities. Absolutely can not wait to see how Dexter's need to take down Trinity clashes with his need to understand how to balance both sides of his life.

As if I wasn't already crazy excited about this season, this episode took it to a new level.
    Love this show.

5. Kerbunked

Kerbunked
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

^^^^^^^^^^ Everything he said.

I can definitely see Dexter looking to Trinity as a role model, I'm just interested in seeing how he gets advice from him on how to live both lives without conflict.

6. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Excellent episode. I really did not expect Trinity to have a family, they portrayed him so creeplily, he fit the lone wolf identity perfect.

One thing that has bothered me a little is that the show is kind of making the police look like the bumbiling keystone cops at times. None of the other officers considered that Lundy was the target? That Deb was shot first and then left alive, and as a possible witness? The show always needed Dexter to be smarter and a step ahead of the police but sometimes the cops were too stupid for me.

Even with Deb's crying the episode was excellent. The producers have now brought on the reporter to not only add another story line but give us the gratuitus nudity we all need and no longer get from Rita!

Watching Trinity kill that guy in the bathroom was disturbing. I had never been bothered by any of the violence or gore in the show but I actually turned my head for a second on that scene. (Again it was just a second) I'm not sure if it was the gore of turning the hammer around or just feeling so BAD for the victim.

Not sure where the writers are headed with this, plenty of Dexter left and I would think they would save the Dexter vs. Trinity showdown for the final episode but that doesn't look like the case.

7. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The detectives actually showed some smarts in this very episode though. Batista planting the syphilis story in the paper was pretty slick.

The writers totally fooled me with Trinity. Like most people, I figured him as the loner type. It was a dumb mistake though as each of Dexter's more murderous antagonists have actually been pretty social. Brian was pretty good at seducing Deb. Prado was a family man himself and very much in the public eye obviously. It just seemed so right to assume Trinity was different though. His crimes/MO seems so bizarre, and he's so creepy and out of place when interacting with people when he's focused on his plot. I give the writers and Lithgow a lot of credit there.

Also, so many of us thought that Trinity bumping into Lundy was too obvious a hint about Lundy's killer that we wanted to look elsewhere and thought it'd be the Vacation Murderer. Nice fake out, and it makes me feel kind of silly.

Finally, here's why I think this is perhaps the best episode of Dexter yet. I have pretty much no answer to the question "So, what's going to happen next?" No fucking clue. Trinity is done with his ritual so there isn't exactly any pressing time constraint to stop him. He could become a kind of mentor to Dexter, but Dexter already had a bad experience disclosing his secret to other people, he should know better by now. Beyond that, he seemed pretty fueled to avenge Deb and Lundy. Would he just toss that aside and let bygones be bygones? I assume Dexter is going to be called in to investigate the splatter of the hammer-beating, but beyond that, who knows?

8. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think the Trinity killer is going to be any kind of mentor Dexter. At least not directly. He might study his patterns and find it interesting how long he's survived, but again, he's got his own MO and probably won't change it. He'll be out to kill Trinity, not make buddies.

I'm not sure what's going to happen next either. Dexter knows who Trinity is, where he lives, etc. so it should be easy to take him out. However, we're only five episodes in and I don't see them settling this so quickly. And I'm curious: How did the Trinity killer hop around so easily? How does he travel to all these cities to complete his ritual when he has such an established personal life? Does he claim he's going away on business? What the fuck?

As much as people get sick of Deb you had to expect a breakdown there. She seems like the character the writers picked and said 'Let's fuck up her life.' I am getting a little tired of Rita though. I hope she either finds the secret out soon or Dexter finds a way to convince her to chill. The constant suspicion over every little thing is getting annoying.

9. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would think a traveling sales job would be the answer, it's not far fetched. Especially seeing Trinity's age; he worked in a sales industry long before internet, e-mail, fax ect.....long periods away and travel were normal and necessary. The crazy thing to me is the need to do it in the exact same location, not only the city but right down to the building.

I 100% agree with your observation on Deb, they absolutely decided to make her life much worse (although she had been almost killed by Dexter's brother/ her boyfriend in season one) I thought for sure we were going to get a painkiller addiction storyline as well; I was surprised when she threw them in the trash. Anton's character.......well we knew he was getting phased out but that was rather abrupt! As for Rita she would be less annoying if she was topless more. I'm sorry I know that is so frat boy, but I miss her nude scenes.

The show has evolved so amazingly and stuck to what makes it great. The only one who can touch Hall's acting ability's are (whoever plays his Dad) and the guest stars they bring in (Smits and Lithgow) other than that Dexter's odd and uncomfortable reactions to the other characters make the show fantastic, of course I can not forget one liners from Mazuka.

I'm not quite sure who posted it previously but whomever pointed out that we are all at a loss as to what happens next, nailed it. The show keeps you guessing and the main character is one of the best on television.

This is a show I look forward too every week.

10. Marjorine

Marjorine
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Was I the only one who laughed out loud when they brought Deb into Astor's room and she had the giant Twilight poster on the wall? Yeah, nothing out of the ordinary for a tween girl, but the fact that Dexter is standing directly in front of it making the exact same face as Edward made me giggle.

In all seriousness, though, ditto on the jaw-dropping moment when we discover Trinity is a family man. I did not see that coming at all. Fantastic. I mean, Dexter always ends on a cliffhanger, but that has got to be one of the best.

Did anyone else find the scene between Quinn and his reporter gf a little... forced? I mean, I'm all for the hot sex when it's justified (Dexter & Lila come to mind), and they are both good-looking sexy people, but I can barely make myself care about those two characters. Quinn used to be so badass, now he's just a softie. I can't even remember the girl's name.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So hot sweaty sex isn't justified because you can't remember a girls name? Sweet dear lord Im at a total loss for words. I was kinda pissed they introduced a super fine family killin she-cop only to not show what looked like a very nice set of breast and a peach ass. Booooo

12. Kerbunked

Kerbunked
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

That last episode was 100% filler. Everything was setting up for later in the season and I was a bit disappointed. I mean, Dexter doesn't have to kill someone every episode, but this one just plodded along, and didn't even have a payoff surprise or anything at the end.

Best part was definitely Masuka "I was breast fed until 6, no other woman can ever compare to my mother".

13. Hogie

Hogie
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Couldn't agree with you more. The lady-cop was hot... when she wasn't in uniform. As soon as she put that shit on and her hair back, ruined it for me. John Lithgow is awesomely creepy, perfect for the role, looking forward to some more great interactions between him and Dexter.

14. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I completely disagree. This episode wrapped up a bunch of stuff that needed to be taken care of and started the ball rolling in a new direction.

- The trust issues between Rita and Dexter get resolved
    - Dexter learns his first lesson from Trinity (hide in the open)
    - We learn that it doesn't take too much to unhinge Trinity
    - Deb realizes that the vacation killers didn't kill Lundy
    - Deb is getting closer to finding out about Dexter's mom and Harry

and a bunch of other stuff.

It's interesting that the police/lab have more information on Trinity than usual. Dexter usually is ahead of them by leaps and bounds but this time they're at least on the right track. Also Dexter's thoughts about needing to kill Trinity but first needing to study him are going to bite him in the ass. He can't play "Kyle" perfectly forever, eventually Trinity is going to get wise to a snooping Dexter.

John Lithgow plays and awesome serial killer.

15. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even with a filler episode it is very entertaining. Anyone else think Dexter should be more cautious? If trinity did shoot Deb, finding out that her brother is nosing around and lying about his name could get a rise out of him.

I'm praying they finally put an end to the absolute worst storyline on the show........Angel and LaGuerta. No one cares if they date or not!!!! Not even a little bit!!! The only thing that whole storyline offers is a little humor at Dexter's awkwardness when they ask him advice. The hour long cable shows always try and give separate characters different storylines, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Unfortunately Dexter's main character is SO GOOD, that you only want to see him and the person he is stalking. Not Quinn, Not the Latin lovers almost never Deb, (although her hunting Trinity might be ok) just DEXTER.

16. theking23

theking23
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I would watch an entire episode about Quinn if it means more of that reporter.

Also, I remember last season Deb asking Quinn about how he affords a Caddy and I think he replied with something about inheriting money from an uncle or something? Did I make this up? I can't find the episode.

17. upgrayedd

upgrayedd
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Did anyone else laugh out loud when he came in with the bread maker? This was up there as far as humor goes when last season Rita asked what kind of food he wanted for the wedding and he replied "Steak". I love situations when Dexter takes things at their most literal meaning.

18. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes you are correct. However at the expense of having to see that asian IA agent on the show again, we don't need that explored any further.

It's pretty obvious Quinn takes cash when an easy situation presents itself. Personally, I have no problem with it. The guy does his job, busts bad guys takes $200 out of a drug dealers car, doesn't bother me as long as they are not too crooked.

19. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's pretty obvious from the previews that Quinn is going down the Doakes road, poor fucker doesn't know what he's in for...

One theory I've been kicking around is that Deb will turn murderer before the season ends, her rage while interrogating the Vacation Murder chick (I forget her name) was white hot and I wouldn't be surprised to see her snap.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't kick the feeling that at some point Quinn and Deb will end up hooking up. He'll end up on the bad side of Dexter, like Doakes, and once again Deb will lose another boyfriend. Or he'll possibly be killed by Trinity thus allowing either Dexter or Deb to kill Trinity. Who knows, it's hard to guess with this show.

At some point Debs constant probing into Harry's past will lead her to Dexter's "dark passenger.