Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

DEATH AND TAXES

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Apr 17, 2018.

1. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Today is the day for those that like that "wait until the last minute" rush. Mine were done just last week. It's never some great thing since I chose not to spawn. Although from what my CPA said there are changes to the child tax credit in it going to a sliding scale based on the earned wages in the household.

I'm not allowed to have an opinion on that since it does not and will never apply to me but seems to me it should have been that way all along. *shrug*

FOCUS: Tax Day Ventage

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Rant: submitted taxes this year without any deductions for medications or expenses or donations.

El hubs did the taxes this year since I did that last year. I am the one who keeps up with all the filing and receipts so I was supposed to put them in but kept forgetting to do it/putting it off. At midnight last night he asked me if I had submitted the taxes so he frantically got it submitted at midnight. I suck.

On the plus side, this is the first time we have ever gotten any money back. And last year when I submitted all those receipts it didn't make a damned difference in the money that we had to pay. So maybe he will be responsible for the taxes from here on out.

Who the fuck cares. It's over. One more year until we have to do it again.

I would love to abuse some tax loopholes but I would probably need a personal accountant for that.

Edit: I probably need to make a whole lot more too. Whatever.

3. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I do my taxes as soon as possible each year because my information was compromised a few years ago and each year is a fun new race to file my taxes before someone tries to do it on my behalf and steal my refund.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

After both returns are filed, we get money back every year. This year about a thousand dollars. We also get to claim a lot too: my shitloads of tools and travel, daughter’s childcare and summer camp, etc. My wife has paid a couple times (she makes substantially more than I do) but I have received a refund every year of my working life.

5. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I usually get everything done by end of January/very beginning of February.

This year I owed less than fifty bucks combined state/federal. Which is just fine with me. I didn't pay any extra and I get to invest as much as I can as soon as I can throughout the year. Or just spend the extra stupidly.

6. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You know last night wasn’t the deadline, right?

We owed this year because of capital gains. I sold a lot of stock to pay off a lot of debt. I guess I can’t really be mad about that.

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have been slacking this year, haven't done them yet, but we have till the end of the month. Both me and the wife get a couple grand back each year, I would rather give the government and interest free loan then have to pay them at the end of the year.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yes, but that was a deadline we set for ourselves. And let's not kid ourselves here, even if I had to the end of the month I probably still would not have done it.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had to take it to a cpa this year because of inheritance money coming in. Too many angles to keep up. I ended up owing like 1200 because of capital gains. The lawyer for my grandfathers estate took his god damn time getting us the proper forms. My aunt had filed everything with him in January but he didn’t get back with them until this Thursday. Our CPA filed an extension but my mom had it in her head the checks had to be mailed today and was frantically messaging me and my brothers to get them to post office today.

#9 Kubla Kahn, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  10. Improper

Improper
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Kubla, filing on time is required, but sending the check with the return is not.

Believe me, they will send you a bill.

11. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You are supposed to send in what you owe if you file an extension. They will bill you as Improper said, but you will end up owing more because of fines.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So my moms frantic worrying was on the money. I mean I did send out a check today for what the CPA quoted. Y'all can stop worrying.

13. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep, your mom was correct to worry in this case.

14. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I always do my taxes in mid-February.

With the exception of the one year where I worked mostly as an independent contractor, this was the first time that I ever owed the government money. It was about $400 total between federal and state. I guess that I should be happy that I wasn't qualified to give Uncle Sam an interest free loan?

Next year will be more fun, since I closed on my townhouse on January 2 of this year.

15. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Had another kid last year, so I got to claim her and all the medical costs that come with that process. Resulted in a nice sized return this year, so I used that money to have a new concrete patio installed since the old original Trex deck was warped to hell.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I’m pretty sure you need to pay by tax day unless you put in an extension request.

17. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Perhaps you should, but I know for a fact they will send you a "bill" which includes fines and penalties mentioned above.

18. sharkhead nachos

sharkhead nachos
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

This year we applied the exceptions they allowed from the flood of 2016. That was the difference between owing a few grand and instead getting back roughly that amount.

I would have been happy to pay "only" a thousand or so. I am happy to get anything back... ecstatic to actually back get a good amount.

19. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I had to itemize for the first time this year because I bought a house last May, and I'm pretty sure I didn't claim everything I could have. That being said, I always file as soon as I have all the documents I need, then schedule the withdrawal for what I owe on tax day because that seems logical to me. Except for last year, when I paid in the beginning of January so I could send my sad tax dollars in before trump got inaugurated because fuck that guy.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

This year was a weird year... basically net zero. Having been fucked over by CRA (the Canadian version of the IRS) for over $150k in the past, I'm OK with that.