Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Dear Leader's Great Wisdom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Apr 4, 2013.

1. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There was a time where you didn't have to read every article/watch every show to read into some of the true story between agendas? I'm convinced I should be your age if not older Crown. i remember bits and pieces of a time before sensationalist media and I remember those bits and pieces fondly.

Spoiler for tangent that might be worth a new thread. Not sure on the bot situation or if its been done recently
    What are ya'lls thoughts on life pre and post internet? My family got AOL in 97 or 98 when I was 12/13. I didn't have cable speed internet until college in 2003 so I basically grew up with the internet. I think, despite all of the cool stuff I've seen, that I would prefer to have lived entirely in the pre internet age. Thoughts on the internet's impact on society?

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Not being able to sleep with the flu, I would love to know what's going on right now but CNN is talking about Michael Jackson. Yeah. Then, the show you "Inside the REAL North Korea" and they show people laughing it up at an amusement park. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME, YOU CUNTS!??!!?!? You're trying to make it like everyone's happy there. You lying, soulless pieces of shit. You are not even journalists anymore. Wow, North Korea has street lights and cell phones? WOW, it's like fucking Amsterdam there already!!!! Fucking fabricating liars. That country is a septic tank and you make it look like its on such a brighter path. Alino Cho doesn't deserve to blog on the internet.

Watch VICE kids. Networks don't exist anymore.

EDIT: Apparently NK is now warning Japan not to shoot down any of their missles if they fire them over top of Japan. Maybe they're trying to blow up the Pacific Garbage Swirl, because you're getting a water landing and nothing but in that direction, and Japan is probably instantly going to tell them to go fuck themselves.

3. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well to be fair the lights never work and the cell phones need towers but nobody wants to hear that.

VICE's guide to North Korea is great for anyone that hasn't heard of it, highly recommended.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

DON'T YOU FUCKING LIE TO THIS BOARD DUDE. I saw it, right on CNN. Operating theme park rides I myself use to ride only two and a half decades ago. Traffic lights with operating red AND green lights. People who understand words of English! Dancing with no guns pointed at them! I want to move there right now.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Can't we just just bomb this country and get it over with already?

[​IMG]

'Merica! Fuck Yeah!

7. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in the US military and I'm stationed in Korea, been here about a year.

A few things make me mad about this topic because now that these stories have been popping up in the news for a few weeks all of the sudden everyone is an expert on North Korean military capabilities, how they stack up to the US, and the relationship between China, Japan, the US, Russia, and North and South Korea. This shit is pretty normal; the rhetoric ramps up and then simmers back down in cycles and nothing that has been said or done by the North Koreans hasn't already been done by them several times in the past. No one here in South Korea is freaking out or even caring. The big thing that really annoys me about the reporting of the situation is that the Western media is pretending like the Chinese relations with North Korea have changed recently when they've been distancing themselves from the regime in North Korea for years.

It'd be great if we freed the North Korean people from their Orwellian leaders, but it isn't so simple. You have to take into account for the safety of the massive South Korean population that lives very close to the border. Not to mention the North Korean military consists of about 9 million (including reserves) of the 23 million people in North Korea. I'm not saying all of those 9 million people would die in the war, but we recognize that these people come up in a society where they are brainwashed and yet we're encouraging a conflict where a third of the countries people would be considered legal combatants. Then, who is going to pay to bring the North and it's people who are almost entirely unskilled and uneducated into this millennium and undo decades of brainwashing? America never goes to war unless there is something for us to gain.

I'm just a single cog in the military machine and I'm not in the intelligence field or privy to any special information about the abilities of North Korea, but I will say that when I arrived in Korea we were briefed on the first night that if we were to get into a conflict with North Korea to expect that they will use chemical or biological weapons and that most of the 28,500 of us on the peninsula would probably die while the main US force mobilizes. We're going to push their shit in in the long run if this goes down, but there are only so many of us here now and you can only move a large number of troops about as far across the world from the US as can be so quickly. The point of an all volunteer military is so that all of you who aren't in the military don't have to bear the burden of war, but please don't be so quick to throw our lives away.

My personal speculation is that if anything were to happen it would most likely be on April 15th which is Kim Il Sung's birthday and a national holiday for the Norks. I'm not saying full scale war, but possibly some kind of missile or nuclear test, or minor military aggression similar to the sinking of the Cheonan or the island shelling back in 2010. Personally I think we should pull out of South Korea or at least drastically reduce our presence there to more of a partnership where our military trains with theirs, not provide for their defense. All we're doing is perpetuating a conflict that has been going on for 63 years. Let them deal with it, the Cold War is over, it isn't any of our business, we shouldn't be the world police.

8. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Two questions: do they have chemical or biological weapons? If so, what? Why don't they advertise them as a deterrent?

Second, aren't there dozens of reunification strategies? It sounds strange to think people bank on this country existing well into the future.

Also our presence here is part of the non proliferation agreement. This region is home to plenty of ancient conflicts and we keep it from ostensibly becoming an eastern cold war between china, Japan, Vietnam, NK, SK and Russia.

9. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There are 4 different types of chemical weapons which are nerve (e.g. tabun, sarin or VX), blister (e.g. mustard gas), blood (e.g. hydrogen cyanide) and choking (e.g. phosgene or chlorine) agents and North Korea supposedly has all 4 different types. The most common type are nerve agents. I'm guessing they don't advertise them as a deterrent because chemical weapons are pretty fucking horrific. Of course, nukes are pretty bad too, but the thing is we have nukes and we've actually used them in the past whereas we've signed the treaty against chemical weapons and have pretty much eliminated our stockpile. It's more defensible for them to pursue nuclear technology even though the US doesn't want them to have it, we can't really say shit with out massive stockpile and past use, chemical and biological weapons are pretty much taboo and I think they realized this.

As far as the plans go you must be talking about this. I don't know anything about it aside from what the Wikipedia article says, and it seems to be mostly a bunch of defensive, reactionary plans.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I always thought he had a closer resemblance to...

[​IMG]

12. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And this one seems about right...

Attached Files:

13. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Chemical and biological weapons are banned because they aren't really that effective. Sure, they're a pain in the ass to deal with, (Go through a CBRN class and just imagine all of the decon procedures and how shitty wearing MOPP gear is) but they don't kill soldiers or take terrain. Their only real use is against civilians, and even then it's far easier just to bomb, burn, or shoot them.

Also, the US has a pretty clear policy on countries that use chemical and biological weapons - it's considered equivalent to a nuclear attack, and will be treated as such. And we have weapons that are a lot nastier than anyone else can come up with.

As for North Korea itself - it's a shitty situation, one with no clear-cut solution. Personally, what I think should happen is the following:

1. We cut off all aid. Yes, a lot of people will starve, but it will show that we're serious.
    2. Park a couple aircraft carriers off the coast and say, "You will disarm all of these artillery sites, or we will disarm them for you. With bombs."
    3. If they disarm, great. Give more conditions for disarmament with the same threat. If not, then bomb.
    4. The South Koreans will spearhead the land war if it happens, supported by American air, logistical, and satellite support.
    5. International aid will pay for the North Korean rehabilitation, with the onus on China. This situation wouldn't have arisen without China propping up this madhouse and the UN pandering to them like they were worth keeping alive.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Do they even have an air force of any sort?

15. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    Yes, but it's all either Russian-sourced or (worse) Chinese-sourced copies of Russian aircraft. According to Wikipedia (haha), they still have Su-7's, Il-28's, MiG-17's and MiG-21's in service. Jesus. Those are ALL 45+ year old designs, equivalent to a sealed KFC family bucket with a bottle rocket and wings attached.

Their best aircraft available is probably the MiG-29 - but those would be F-22 Raptor fodder.

Should be no problem for the U.S.A.F., U.S.N. or U.S.M.C to wipe them out.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Those are fighters that are the equivalent of the Phantom and Intruder. You only see planes like that at air shows.

17. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    Pretty much. Except the Intruder is STILL miles better than a fucking "Beagle". Yes, that's right, the Il-28's NATO Reporting Name is "Beagle". The jokes just write themselves.

Ask the retired U.S.N. guys how many Mig-17s got fucked up by their F-4's in 'Nam.

18. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This was interesting reading, even if it is outdated and/or wrong:

<a class="postlink" href="http://nautilus.org/napsnet/napsnet-special-reports/mind-the-gap-between-rhetoric-and-reality/#axzz2NZBFLe5R" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nautilus.org/napsnet/napsnet-spe ... z2NZBFLe5R</a>

This is a semi-strategic analysis that basically says if NK attacks Seoul, there will be around 30,000 casualties until everyone gets into the shelters and bunkers and then NK's military machine is dismantled from the air and sea. It sounds a bit simplistic, obviously, but it's worth a read.

I was curious about reunification plans. Everyone seems to agree this regime is on the verge of collapsing, but there are no think tank or policy documents outlining what should be done when that happens?

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

20. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is actually the reason why the DPRK regime hasn't been dismantled yet.

North Korea is a shitty country. There's nothing there that's even close to being desirable. Its people are uneducated and completely brainwashed; they have absolutely no idea how to live in a modern society. Its infrastructure is also completely gutted and will take billions of dollars of investment to bring it up to even livable standards.

Basically, think about it this way - North Korea is currently a Craigslist ad for a house. It's completely falling apart, isn't that great of a house to begin with, and is also filled with 30 feral children that you'll have to adopt. Currently, the leader of the feral children lives in luxury while the rest are slaves to his whim, and that sucks. But who the hell wants to take up that responsibility?

Personally, I think that China should bear the brunt of the burden because they're largely responsible for the regime being propped up for so long. They should break up North Korea into two halves. The top half will be a buffer zone to keep China happy; the bottom half will go to South Korea.