Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Deadwood

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

A couple years ago I first heard the rumour. Now after a lot of skepticism, this dream might be a reality. Because the missing (and let's face it ONLY) ingredient is now in:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-thrones-season-6-episode-7-hbo-a7069326.html

Ian McShane is in for the long-awaited mini series/movie, and Milch IS writing it.

To me, this might be the best show ever made. It's so grim, so vulgar, so utter and totally real. The REAL Old West, completely removing it's romanticism and six-shooter cliches. And they STOLE it from us. Left bitter and incomplete, before we can get to the great fire and Swearengen and Saul Starr both becoming immensely wealthy men. But worst of all, it robbed us of Al Swearengen who I will defend to the death is the greatest TV character in the history of television.

FOCUS: Discuss your hopes, any news you may heard, or discuss the show in general and what you loved about it.

2. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hands down my favorite show, the scenes with Al talking to the severed Indian head wrapped neatly in a box is something to see.

I'm all in, fuck the mini series, give me 3 or 4 more seasons.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The best show HBO ever made and they killed it in its infancy. I hope this happens. I hope it happens so bad.

No show had the dialogue like this one.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The fuck couldn't this have happened sooner? I hope Kim Dickens isn't in it. I hated her cry baby go nowhere character. I hear Milch is in a hundred million plus gambling debt.

It could use a full season AT LEAST. They had been heading towards a large fire storyline. I'm sure it will be involved somehow. Not sure they will or should follow history exactly as to al's final fate. I wonder if they'll have Teddy Roosevelt make some sort of appearance as he and Bullock ended up being close friends.

I'd like to also reiterate how incomprehensible John from Cincinnati was and how Meh! Luck was.

#4 Kubla Kahn, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The number I heard was that he's $20 million in debt despite making over $100 million. But yeah, he's backwards.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There a lot of interesting stuff about the people of Deafwood Gulch. Bullock is the man who had Yellowstone declared as a National Park. After the fire, Swearengen built "The Gem Theatre" which raked in $5000 a night, and in the end was beaten to death while penniless on the streets of Denver.

One season? This show was robbed of FIVE SEASONS. It's so fucking magnetic, you can't take your eyes off it. From Joannie Stubbs no-scoping Veronica Mars in the face to Charlie nearly beating serial killer Francis Wolcott to death....all meshed together with its wildly vulgar yet Shakespearean-like dialogue. There truly is nothing like it.

John from Cincinatti. Holy fuck you talk about a show that is utterly unlikable in every single aspect.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Who’s happy? I’m happy. Cocksuckers.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Ive never seen deadwood and just saw the trailer for the movie. Sounds like the show is worth watching?

9. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes. I’m actually jealous you get to watch it for the first time.

10. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dude, if you haven't seen it, drop everything and binge watch it now.

On second thought, no... take your time, one or two episodes at a time. Savor that shit like a fine wine.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I knew of Deadwood, but had not watched since I don't have HBO. I started watching it last year for the first time, because it's on Amazon Prime.
    Juice, get thee to a streaming device.
    It's fantastic.
    Also, be prepared for lots and lots of foul language.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I think it may have been the best show since the original Twilight Zone. It’s a top three of all time for me, easily. It’s as “real” as a Western gets. Painfully real.

13. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That was possibly my favourite scene on the show. The word “satisfying” gets thrown around a lot, but that beating is the very definition of it. They way he intentionally boils his own rage just seems too real to be acting.

I just hope Joanie Stubbs has been killed off before this movie begins. What a doorstop. And without the terrifying, unpredictable power that was Cy Tulliver so sadly gone from this earth in real life, she has less than zero use.

Powers Boothe is a BIG absence from this film. What a cunning yet horrible, horrible character that just devours the scenery. That man had THE deadest eyes in the history of Hollywood. Frightening.

#14 Crown Royal, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  15. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stubbs is by far the worst character on the show, it is too bad Boothe wasn’t around for the movie.

Definitely looking forward to this, may have to go back and watch all three seasons again, only show I own a box set of.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love Garrett Dillahunt. He's played some great characters. The only bad part about watching Deadwood straight through instead at the actual pace it was released, is that Dillahunt plays Jack McCall AND Francis Willcott. When he appeared the second time, I kept thinking it was some setup to reveal he was actually McCall.

17. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy. Shit. I never realized that.

And every time I watched I wondered, "Where have I seen him before?"

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He’s just that good of an actor.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Remember nothing ever just happens.

I’ll miss powers boothe.
    I thought his purpose as the anti Al Swearengen in all regards was kind of redundant but man he had a killer delivery.

My favorite scene with him:

I plan on rewatching the series without outside distractions before the movie. I hope it leads to the shows renewal. That be sweet.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Also Jeffrey Jones was amazing as newspaper publisher Merrick, but of course we won’t be seeing him in the movie because of his lingering urge to fuck little boys.

And how is the Doc (Brad Dourif) still alive? Can you have Consumption for a solid decade and live? “Nobody gets out alive, Doc.”