Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Deadliest Catch

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by shegirl, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: The Deadliest Catch

This season we learned a little more about how the hell they get onto the crab too. They've mentioned "the survey" a couple times so far which I assume means a bunch of test pots pulled by the dept of fish and game. Sure the Capts have their own secret spots like Magoo or whatever but in some of the camera shots you see like 3-4 other ships in the surrounding waters... really close to the ship they're filming on.

I always assumed that the fleet spread out all over the place, fishing well away from other boats and that boats working for the same owner or that were friendly with each other gave the heads up if they found crab.

Edgar is still my favorite character. Listening to him talk about his life choices and that he might not want to take over next was compelling stuff.

2. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: The Deadliest Catch

Don't forget Phil's "fart smell" and "fart bubbles" theory from a season or 2 ago.

3. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I'm so glad they are returning Jake to his Dads boat. That was the best part about last nights show.

4. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This whole business of trading back Jakes is intense. They seriously couldn't figure out a better way to make the swap?

As a person who's been stuck in the water (albeit not nearly as cold as the Bearing Sea) that's some scary shit. Never dive off your boat unless you double check that the ladder is down.

5. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I could not believe they did it that way. I guess they were set on doing the switch in the middle of the sea. Again it seems that this whole thing was done for effect and nothing else. Seems they like ratings but fuck man, going that extreme for more? They aren't already raking them in this season? This season isn't dramatic enough since we all know it's Phils last?

I'm glad Jake is back with his Dad but, holy shit what a way to get there.

6. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

They wanted to get the switch done before the weather picked up, and making a trip into port to switch doesn't make sense. The boats stay out fishing until they are either full, they've caught their quota, or they have a delivery deadline at the processing plant. For them to go to port for any other reason just wastes time and fuel. The crew gets paid a portion of the profits, so higher fuel costs mean less money. More time at sea when they're not catching crab is just wasted time, plus they only have 10 days to fill their tank and get to the processor, after 10 days the crab start to die in the tank. Dead crabs give off chemicals that kill the crabs next to them, and dead crabs mean less money. None of the boats is going to waste 12 hours going to the harbor, and 12 hours back out just to swap a couple guys. The processor sets appointments so that one boat is leaving as the next comes in, so that nobody has to sit and wait. Other than at the beginning and maybe the end of the season (if they manage somehow to catch their quotas around the same time), most of those boats will never see each other at the docks.

7. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Yeah I know most of that stuff from watching the show what I don't understand is why they just didn't wait until the catch was done and they were in port offloading the crab. Seems to me that was a big risk to take with two lives because they wanted to do it right then and there, rather than the easier, safer way later. I guess it was more about the scheduling so the switch would work on land being difficult. I get it but, whoa.

8. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

But they wouldn't be in port offloading the crab at the same time. They edit the show to make it look like all the ships catch their quota around the same time (thus ending their season) but they don't. Ships might hit their quota weeks apart from each other. The harbor where they offload the crab to the processing center is not Dutch Harbor, it's St. Paul Island. They don't pull up to the dock either, the crab is actually offloaded to a processing ship. Not all of the boats offload to the same processor either. They aren't going to want to keep the ship in Dutch Harbor that long, waiting for the other one to get there. The ships may not even go back to Dutch Harbor after offloading at St. Paul, the ships go back down south to fish other seasons/species in waters off of WA/OR/CA. They aren't going to waste a week or more waiting for another ship to get in when they could be going off and making money somewhere else.

9. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I swear to God I got a tear in my eye last night at the end of the King season knowing it was Phils last one of those. So sad.

Did any one see the news story about the deck hand from like season 2 that was busted for bank robbery? He'd done it twice I think, he got out of one somehow but then was recognized on the show and then they busted him for the other. He R smRt.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Stupid is as stupid does.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.kirotv.com/news/23542237/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kirotv.com/news/23542237/detail.html</a>

11. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

It seems with every episode I get more and more sad for the boys, knowing the end is coming for Phil. Last nights was a rough one for him with the whole running aground thing. Whoops.

12. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I couldn't believe how expensive it was to fix the propeller. I know some parts of the boat were moved by 2 inches but it was less than 24 hours to fix for $50,000.

13. ksp

ksp
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

To me it kind of sounds like the factored in some other things, just kind of like ya it cost 50,000 total and they implied the fact that he had to pay the crew to sit around and basically do nothing, and the opportunity cost of still being in the harbour.

(though I may be wrong with that since i know the deckhands get paid based on the amount they haul, but that has to be ontop of some daily/hourly age.. yes/no?)

14. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Think about how expensive it was to install and operate a dry dock in that harbor, and how infrequently it probably gets used. Then think about the specialized skills needed for parts of the repairs, and that those guys probably had to be flown into town with no notice. Remember when they had to fly the diesel mechanic in for engine repairs a couple years ago? I think that repair bill came in about the same.

My company charges customers $200/hr for my labor, time and a half for overtime, and even more if it's a last-minute emergency. Add on travel costs, and freight costs to get parts shipped up there, and that $50,000 doesn't seem too high at all. Just a couple months ago I had to try and get a part shipped on a Saturday night from one of our plants in Ohio to a military test site in AZ, and they needed it the next morning. Cheapest courier service we could find wanted $5,000 and couldn't guarantee arrival until Monday. Luckily it was a small enough part that I ended up having a guy drive down to the plant and pick it up, and catch a commercial flight out to AZ. He handed it off to a limo service (was cheaper than a courier) that drove it out to the site, and caught a return flight home. Other guys I've worked with have had to charter planes before to get parts delivered to customers. The customers pay for it, because it's cheaper than the downtime. When you're out somewhere like Dutch Harbor, Alaska, it's not cheap to get anything shipped in.

15. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Knowing that Phil dies during opie season is incredibly distracting. Every time they show him I'm waiting for something to happen.

Shitty.

16. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I'm having a hard time focusing on the episodes knowing this as well. It's really difficult not to continually think about it.

17. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

WHAAAAAT!?

Actually not that surprising. Thinking back and seeing what Jake has looked like every time he's on camera it looks like he's on something. I just thought he was just kind of a slow relaxed dude but apparently that's just the opiates.

18. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think that's why they showed him all the fucked up that morning. Like he slept in, then he was babbling about something and the other guys were kind of just looking at him, then he fell in the tank.

One thing though, if he's an addict and he was stealing Phil's oxys, what did he do for the time he was on Sig's boat?

19. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Don't you guys think that just about every one of them is addicted to something, be it smokes, coke, caffine or anything else?

That kid is going to feel like total shit when he loses his Dad, not only for the obvious but this as well.
    I thought Phil was going to pass out there for a second. It's getting close and it blows.

20. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow. I'm surprised the Hillstrand's gave the captain's chair to Mike instead of Scotty. Mike is most definitely the right choice but I thought for sure Johnathan was going to overrule.

Mike's life is completely changed. Awesome.

Edit: Awwwww FUCK NO! Phil died at the fucking docks! Motherfucker that's not the way that tough old bastard should have gone out.