Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Deadliest Catch

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by shegirl, Apr 13, 2010.

1. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

[​IMG]
    I love this show and am anxious about the new season. I turned on Mark&Brian yesterday morning and they were doing a phone interview with freakin Sig. Awesome. I've been watching reruns for days. I see Phil and the interactions with his boys and wonder how they feel about this season in particular finally premiering, with his death being Feb. 9th, 2010. Seeing him on TV and remembering their last crabbing season with their Dad at the wheel has got to be tough. I remember within days after his Dad died the youngest, Jake got pulled over, popped for a DUI and driving on a suspended license.

I cannot be the only one that has been waiting. Calling all DC watchers.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Re: The Deadliest Catch

PHIL FUCKING DIED!?!?!?!?

(Not that it's that big of a surprise, though...)

3. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

This season is going to be weird without the guy.

4. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

This seasons shows were shot last crabbing season, he'll be in this one, it's the next that will have a huge void.

Sorry I was the one to break it to those out there, like Nett, that apparently live in a cardboard box with no TV. It's true it is no big surprise but, when a salty, ornery captain finally succumbs to whatever his vices may have been it's a little shocking because you assume they will beat anything and everything because he is a badass, and had.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah yeah, I'm a Luddite. And don't have cable.

DC is just one of those shows, like Dirty Jobs, and Mythbusters, that I download to watch on rainy weekends.

6. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love this fucking show. I always feel like the biggest pussy watching these guys WORK in 40ft seas with subzero temps because I get scared of 12ft rollers that sometimes sweep the east coast during the summer.

Edgar is my favorite person on the show. He rarely gets upset and has what is probably the hardest job in the fleet. He's the guy I'd most like to have a beer with.

Anyone else want to try being a greenhorn on this show? I'd love to give it a try, just to see if I had what it takes.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

No fucking way would I want to even try that.

Unless it was as pilot/captain.

8. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

He died during the Opilio season, so he should be in some of the opilio episodes. I'm interested to see what his health was like during this coming King Crab season of DC, and it's going to be really weird watching the other captains interactions with Phil, especially someone like Keith who doesn't like him, knowing that he's dead. I wonder how they'll air the opilio season of DC.

9. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I want to say yes, but I am sure I would shit myself the first time one of those giant waves crashes onto the deck.

10. LadyLecter

LadyLecter
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I can't say I was surprised back in February when Phil died (was there every any footage where he wasn't smoking?), but it will definitely not be the same without him. I have the reruns playing in the background as we speak.

Do people have a boat that they always are hoping comes out on top? The Northwestern consistently kicks ass with Sig's magic crab sense, so usually it ends up being who do you want to at least catch up a bit to the Northwestern. I find myself going for the Time Bandit quite a bit.

That said, next year will be sad without Phil. I was thinking the same thing as pterodactyl when it comes to to interactions between Keith and Phil. The rerun that is on now has Keith and Phil arguing about Keith setting down on Phil's pots. Not exactly a friendly history.

I will definitely be tuned in tonight at 9, and will probably have the marathon on in the background as I do work.

As for trying to be a greenhorn, since I'm female not really possible (girls considered usually to be bad luck and whatnot). But even if it was, I very much doubt I could handle it. Even watching it sometimes when those huge waves come crashing down on the boats my heart starts to beat a little faster. Still, I think about it from time to time.

11. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I wonder that as well. I was thinking last night, is it better or worse that he didn't die at the hands of the Bering?

I'm sad for his boys. He was a character.

As for trying it, the only female I've seen set foot on one of the boats was Brownyn, the wife of one of the captians. Her primary reason for being there was to cook but, in the end she came out on deck and got into sorting and shit. It was kinda cool. Tough German woman.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I wonder how the ownership of the boat will play out now that Phil's gone? I wonder if it'll be a cluster fuck?

Also, the first "After The Catch" that they have after his death will be something to watch.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle it. Part of me thinks it'll be hugely emotional, and part of me thinks it could be quite the opposite. After all, death is something that is constantly around them, and ignoring it can be a bit of a defense mechanism.

13. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

What he said.

And about the after the catch episode for this season, I think it's obviously going to be emotional but they are going to try and have fun with it if that makes sense. Just remembering all of the jokes and the pranks they pulled.

14. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't they make next to nothing for the first couple seasons they're on the boat? And then when they finally do get a full share, they can still, uh, drown or be crushed or maimed in the blink of an eye? For crabs. Not gold. Not mermaid pussy. Crabs.

No thanks. Let's just assume I don't have what it takes and leave it to you to hunt the sea-dwelling deathspiders.

15. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Swapping Jakes seemed cheesy at first but I understand why they did it. Interested to see how long they stay on the other ships.

Wild Bill seems like a cool guy. Hopefully he has a large part in this season.

Seeing Phil is sad. I'm glad that he got to be a part of this season but I knowing this is his last season is depressing.

16. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think about it constantly. I think I could definitely do the week long run, but nothing longer than that. I hate the cold.

Does anyone recognize the Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder song they have been using to advertise it? I can't figure it out.

17. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's called Rise, its from the Into the Wild soundtrack.

Seeing Keith get punked made my night.

The intro was sad with all the shots of Phil with the voice over and then at the end his kids telling him that everything is going to be alright. Knowing what eventually happens to him, I really hope that he brings his son back on the boat before the end so they can fish together.

18. LadyLecter

LadyLecter
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

One thing that I was surprised about was the stand-off between Keith and Jonathan. Keith rubs a lot of people the wrong way but I was almost expecting something with Keith and Phil as they have a long-standing dislike of each other. Jonathan just kind of lost it. I gotta say the crack about Keith's brother was a pretty low shot, I'm not surprised that Keith got pissed.

It was definitely sad to see Phil, knowing that he's gone. Although there was something that occurred to me as I was watching the Jakes swap over... If Phil dies during the season, one of his sons isn't gonna see his dad again. That's kind of upsetting. Hopefully it will turn out alright (relatively speaking).

19. 304

Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Different dynamic, but some of the camera crew have been women. (I know someone who worked a season on the boat. )

20. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I agree with this and don't think it was necessary. I wonder how much they regretted doing it once Phil had died. And like most I hope they switch him back to his rightful boat before his dad dies.

Last night was one of the best I've seen as far as the pots coming up with....anything. It was so sporadic. The fact that one pot came up with one scallop and they knew they were in a gold mine was kinda cool. I don't think that had happened before so I had no idea it meant big bucks, although it's logical. I like scallops better than crab anyway, especially wrapped with bacon.