Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Season 8

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by bean, Jul 11, 2011.

1. bean

bean
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just in case you weren't paying attention, the first episode of Curb aired this past Sunday. Anyone still watching this?

#1 bean, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Of course. Larry David is my hero. I enjoyed the hell out of the first episode but did anyone think it had a slightly different feel to it than previous seasons? It just seemed very fast paced. Maybe because they wanted to hurry up and get the season arc going but I wouldn't be surprised if it had a different director than usual.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I noticed it too. They jumped ahead a few times with black screen and title cards which felt weird as well as starting off with the same scene from last seasons closer, for an opening episode joke it was basically just a repeat. You are probably dead on that they just want to get moving, I was kind of hoping they had stretched the non jewish lawyer thing out more but I guess that's done with the divorce. Besides that it was ALL classic Larry. Hopefully Leon tags along to New York, they've kept him around this long, dude is seriously one of the funniest parts of the show.

4. Gatling

Gatling
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I thought the first episode was solid, but not spectacular -- although some very funny moments. I agree with the idea that they just wanted to get going.

For fans of the show, I recommend a recent Rich Eisen Podcast. He interviewed Larry David solo for about 20 minutes, then chatted with the three producers/writers that, along with David, outline the plots for each season. Then he did a roundtable with Jeff Garlin, Leon (JB Smoove), Funckhouser (Bob Einstein -- who I only recently learned is Albert Brooks' brother), and Larry David.

The whole podcast is great and very informative about the Show's process.

I expect the episodes where they move the show to New York (for five shows, I think) will be fantastic.

5. stcardsfan

stcardsfan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Larry sharing the buffet, helping the girl scout out with her period, Cheryl being smokin' hot...I'm glad it's back!

6. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

You really think Cheryl is hot? I am attracted to her sometimes in a milf kind of why but sometimes her face just reminds me of skeletor.

7. bean

bean
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Only Larry David could make a story about racism, domestic violence and a battered womens' shelter hilarious. Too bad because most other episodes have been mediocre for comedy.

"So you think that all black people look alike?"
    "I think that all computers look alike."

8. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope we see more of the Palestinian girl, she was hot.

9. Macgruber

Macgruber
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Only watched episode 2 last night, but other than every second Richard Lewis was on screen, that was a fucking awesome episode. It sounds like Leon is rubbing off on Larry too, it seems like he swears more this season.

"I wanna know how the FUCK you got my mother's maiden name!"

Awesome.

10. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Episode 3 was fan-tastic. There are a lot of great episodes, but I think it's one of my favorite of the entire series. Though it did make me wonder, does all of Larry David's shtick have the same appeal for you non-Jews? Are there Jew jokes that just don't quite work for you? Because there were a lot of Jewish jokes and scenes in that episode that I'm not sure would have the same impact for you gentiles.

I'll do some field research with a couple non-Jew buddies that like Curb and get back to you all, but in the meantime, I am curious, what do you think?

11. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse

Maybe the Jews enjoy them a little more, but I certainly get a kick out of the Jewish humor too. Great comedy is great comedy, regardless of what race it addresses.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know if there is a show that can be as predictable and repetitive yet always be so hilarious. Simple show, always delivers.

13. Superfantastic

Superfantastic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy fucking shit was that a jam-packed episode. The chat 'n cut, the vet, Oscar dying/the ice cream, vow of silence, avoiding the charity thing, pig-parker and finally moving to New York all to uphold a lie -- it felt like two episodes in one.

I think my favourite line was the exchange between Larry and the vet's wife:

"How much money does a vet make?"

"Are you serious? That's a very personal question, Larry. How would you like it if I asked you personal questions?"

"Ask me anything."

"Ok, when's the last time you jacked off?"

"This morning."

"I'm leaving."

Fucking brilliant. As for a non-Jew liking/getting the humour, take it for what it's worth, but I consider Larry David one of the greatest humourists of the last 30 years at least. In fact, in the middle of the last episode I said to my roommate, "He's like a Jewish superhero. He's what would happen if a Jew took steroids -- no muscle growth, just amped up neuroticism and hilarity". I mean this in the best, most non-racist way possible.

14. Gatling

Gatling
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

The last episode was fantastic.

You just knew it would end with Richard Lewis sitting alone at the eatery waiting for Larry. But even though you knew it was coming it was still hilarious.

I think this season just gets better each episode.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Little late but I caught up with all of these in the past few days. Somehow his formula is so simple but so fucking hilarious. The season was fucking awesome. Leon is probably the top comedy character on tv.