Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Covert Assholes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, May 12, 2012.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://listverse.com/2012/05/12/top-10-unpleasant-facts-about-john-lennon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://listverse.com/2012/05/12/top-10- ... hn-lennon/</a>

Inspired by the above link.

Focus: Who are some assholes that people admire? Who are the people that are secretly enormous douche bags?

2. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mick Jagger.

3. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Edge

4. Dude

Dude
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

EMTs.

I will probably (and rightfully) get a lot of hate for saying that, as they are not generally an acceptable group to dislike. Let me say this first: EMTs on the job are fantastic. I've had to send several friends to the hospital for various reasons, I've been to the hospital for various reasons, and every EMT I've dealt with who is on the job has been professional and I've had no problem with. They save lives and should be thanked.

EMTs off the job, in my experience, are a different story. Of the ones I've met, about 80% are douches. All shaved heads, oakley sunglasses, and this pretentious fucking air of "I'm better than you." And they let you know, too. All they seem to talk about is how much of a fucking hero they are and by extension, how much the community should appreciate them.

I'm sure there are a ton of great EMTs out there who are genuinely nice people and aren't arrogant pricks, but out of the 10-12 I've met there seems to be a distinct trend.

5. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Basically 90% of all elite professional athletes. What makes them great is what makes them pretty terrible in social settings.

Kanye West

A little more secretly? In my experience, college professors. For every great professor who truly cares about educating and his students, there are 2 who are either burnouts in their field or bored academics who derive their pleasure from putting students in their place through constant shows of how accomplished they are or how incorrect your thoughts or opinions are.

6. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It would be nice if people can specify exactly why so and so is a covert asshole. I could just simply name Mother Theresa, but unless I have specific reasons why, then how do you know if it is true. And more importantly, how fascinating is it to simply read down a list of names? Much like the specific list given for John Lennon, it is much more interesting if there is a story behind it.

I know this isn't my thread and boy am I being demanding about it, but can we add a counter focus. Who have you encountered that has been fantastic (what can I say, I like balance)?

7. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

My cousin used to do PR work back in the late 70s/early 80s. One of her clients, for a time, was Dr. Bill Cosby. She said he was the biggest asshole she had ever worked with.

That's purely anecdotal, though.

8. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lance Armstrong is a notorious prick and douche, but beyond the obvious, Livestrong is basically a giant way to make Lance and his advertisers rich. Their stated goal is to raise awareness which is vague at best, and of all the revenue Livestrong generates only less than 5% goes to anything cancer research related, the rest goes to growing the brand and making Lance more rich. So all rose gay little wristbands people were so crazy about we're basically a direct donation to Lances I want another Ferrari and big ass house fund.

9. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Michael Phelps. The guy won a bunch of gold medals and he has every right to be a cocky sunnova bitch. The guy is a douchebag for sure and all he talks about is himself and his gold medals while he rips the bong while drinking shity beer at the University of Michigan. When I met him, he had that massive celebrity head and none of the ladies (take ladies at UofM with a large grain of salt) seemed to notice how much of a cockbag he was. Go eat a five dollar foot long and smoke a bowl you smug bastard

10. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dislike Kobe Bryan't selfish game on the court and even more selfish personality off of it, but what happened to him with that false rape claim was absolute bullshit. I only feel deep sympathy for him there; Bryant slept with a skank, and that cunt decided that since Bryant was rich and famous, she could garner fame and fortune by claiming he raped her. Even though she slept with a different man later that same night.

The annoying thing are all the mindless douchebags and fans of other teams who insult(ed) him about being a rapist and thought they were being clever. Insult him if you want for being an annoying, selfish personality, but not for being the victim of a piece of shit who wanted to ruin his life for personal gain.

Focus-

Roberty Downey Jr. I see a lot of people looking up to him, and I'm wondering why.

Yeah, he is a good actor who came back from drug addiction, but he is a self-important douche who thinks he is God's gift to film. His reaction of outrage to Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes moments after a tasteless, unfunny bit about claiming to have slept with all the Best Actress nominees is just one example.

Downey Jr. is also not particularly funny or charming outside of movies. Instead, he comes across as very simple and dull-witted in interviews...like most actors.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Harvey Weinstein is the biggest asshole in the ENTIRE Hollywood machine. The biggest, A-number-One Ashhole over and all all others. End of story.

Emile Hirsch. Just because you went to Africa with Sean Penn doesn't make you a freedom-fighting "activist".

Kanye West and Chris Brown. People don't hate you because you're talented. They hate you because you are fucking twats. Talent has NOTHING to do with it, so do me a favour and kiss a fucking freight train.

Vince Neil. I LOVE Motley Crue, but this guy's laundry list of selfish behaviour goes on to infinity.

Any and every athlete that cheats, and by that I mean uses steroids ...sorry: "Performance Enhancing Drugs" a.k.a steroids. Double the points if you smugly lie or make excuses to reporters, committees and especially your own fucking FANS.

The entire Fox News team. So, what is like making a living off telling straight-up lies and trashing opinions while not actually being smart? Ask them.

Zach Braff. "The next Tom Hanks"?!?!? What is your damage? This cockclown is fucking reulsive in avery aspect.

12. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seriously? What interviews are you watching? I think he's quick clever and pretty much hilarious. The man is charisma personified. And the fact that he went from being a complete washout to one of the most bankable actors in Hollywood and staying out of trouble, is fairly admirable. Dude turned his shit around.

13. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, are we doing that thing where we bitch about celebrities we don't like and call people that are widely acknowledged as assholes, "secret assholes" again?

Jesus people, give us something better than "I don't like zach braff's acting, what a twat."

14. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

The more you know.

#14 ghettoastronaut, May 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

My 10th grade Civics teacher.

Everyone thought he was cool and hip, but he was an incredible douchebag. He knew the majority of the student body adored him and he acted accordingly. He would treat the popular kids as his equals, but if you went to him for extra help or clarification after class, he would belittle you and make you feel like an idiot. On more than one occasion myself or another student would ask a completely relevant question and he would lead the rest of the class in mocking you. He was the exact opposite of everything a teacher should be. Fuck him.

Im glad he slept with a student and ruined his life.

16. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't like Jimmy Smits

Never met the guy, but I can tell.

I also want to punch Carson Daly. Fucking asshole trying to host shows. He's got some nerve.

17. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree with that list writer that Lennon is a douche, but he's really pushing it on some of those accusations. Specifically, number 5.

Talentless

This is probably the most controversial item on this list, and it must be admitted that it is an inherently subjective issue to some extent, but a very good case can be made that even as a musician and a songwriter, Lennon was remarkably under-talented. First, he was at best an average guitar player, mostly confined to basic rhythm parts, and his piano playing wasn’t much better. As for his songwriting, yes he did write a handful of truly inspired songs, but as time passes and the nostalgic hype surrounding the Beatles begins to fade, a lot of his works comes off as silly and dated. Try reading the lyrics to “Strawberry Fields Forever” or “Come Together” sometime. They’re pure hippie psychedelic babbling, the kind of thing that passed for profundity in the drug-induced haze of the late 1960s. The only thing that makes them work is the terrific production, for which credit easily goes to producer George Martin and the other Beatles as much as to Lennon himself.

In fact, looking back on the Beatles legacy, one can make a pretty good case that both Paul McCartney and George Harrison (on the later albums, at least) were superior talents to Lennon in the songwriting department. The truth is, after about 1965, Lennon more or less drops out of the Beatles. He had almost nothing to do with the Sgt. Pepper album, and most of what came after was – by everyone’s admission – largely at the behest of Paul McCartney. By the end, as you can see in the film Let It Be, McCartney was desperately trying to motivate a Lennon who simply didn’t want to be there. As for Lennon’s solo career, there are five or six memorable songs and the rest… Well, can you name a single track from “Sometime in New York City”?

First, being untalented isn't really a reason to hate on someone, but how the hell do you call Lennon untalented and use Strawberry Fields as an example? What. the. fuck. The idea that George Harrison was a superior talent to Lennon is laughable, and damn near every music critic would agree. I'm pretty sure you could make the case of Lennon being the most talented musician of the entire 20th century before you could call him talentless. An asshole? Sure, but let's not be ridiculous.

Focus: Brett Favre. Total douche in almost every way possible short of killing someone. He cheats on his wife, skipped training camp just because he could, sent cock photos to women, pulled the same will I retire bullshit year in year out, and the announcers sucking him off during the entirety of every game he played in (sometimes even in games he didn't play) was just an added bonus. He was a great player, but fuck did I hate him.

Tom Cruise. I have an unhealthy amount of hatred for this clown. Everything that comes out of his mouth makes me want to strangle him. I'll let him speak for himself:

Want to choke him yet?

#17 Kampf Trinker, May 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  18. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Steve Jobs.

I have to deal with the worship of Jobs at work, but seriously, fuck that guy. Aside from eliminating the philanthropy of one of the most successful companies in recent memory, you treat your family like utter shit, try to bypass kids to get a transplant and take credit from the people under you for their ideas and input.

Along the same lines, a hundred or so years ago:
    Thomas fucking Edison.

<a class="postlink" href="http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla</a>

[​IMG]

19. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Probably one of the best examples out there. While a great inventor, the way Edison treated and bullied Tesla (who worked for him) was disgraceful, as was the disgusting smear campaign he ran against Tesla's alternating current. (Edison's company was a proponent of direct current)

It did, however, lead to a 1903 film featuring an elephant being electrocuted to death.

From the video description;

"In an attempt to discredit Westinghouse and Tesla by showing how dangerous AC electricity is, Thomas Edison electrified an elephant named Topsy."

20. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is this notion that a certain old, ex-President, philanthropist peanut farmer is this gentle, sweet, human rights advocate when in fact he is an insufferable moron, instigator, and zealot.

Sean Penn. "Ohhhh, he's a humanitarian! Look what he did for Haiti and New Orleans!" He's a self aggrandizing, smarmy pussy that alienated everyone around him and hampered real productivity in those places. He's a hero when it's convenient... and when his personal photographer has him framed properly. He's no Clooney. *Swooooon*

See also: Bono. But we all knew that.

The Pope. Leave science, gay relations, family values be. It'd also be nice if you stopped harboring rapists under the name of God. Though I admit there's a huge philanthropy movement coming from the Vatican. Then again, that's the point, isn't it?

Michael Jackson. He may not have been a rapist, but he spent almost as much hush money as The Vatican. His death allowed us to forget a tragically deluded, deranged man-child with an unhealthy obsession with children and reminded us that, boy, the guy sure could dance.