Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Couple drives across the Congo, documents it online

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LucasJackson, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mrs. Noland and I went scuba diving in Belize over Christmas 2000.

We did several night dives which Mrs. Noland didn't particularly like and she decided she wasn't going on the final night dive. Ignoring the most basic rule of dive safety I went on the final night dive without my buddy. It was a small group that night and I allowed all of them to get 15 or 20 yards ahead of me and swam over the wall so there was nothing under me for about 1,000 feet and turned off my light.

It was dark. That seems simplistic, but at 70 feet down at night, there is no light of any kind. I suppose spelunkers are familiar with that kind of dark. I floated there for a minute or two and I have honestly never felt so alone and separated from humanity as I did during that short time. It was both one of the most frightening and interesting things I've ever done.

2. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not going to fault him for reaching his breaking point when dealing continuously and consistently with people that, by any measure we in the West would use, are acting like shitbags. God knows I've reached mine in this country a few times, and they're not even remotely close to the same level of fucked up.