Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Coronavirus: Miles away from ordinary.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wonder if they preserve a sample to test down the road so future studies can get an accurate picture of what happened and how many deaths were attributable to the disease.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Might be a nice idea on paper but no way it happens while shit is hitting the fan.

3. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also reading that John Prine is in critical condition with the Rona, after his wife was diagnosed with it last month. And he’s already up there in age and has had some health issues.

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It would be interesting if someone looked into that. You see all kinds of speculation on the unrecorded number of cases, but not so much on this. I would bet deaths like this are rampant in the third world. I wonder about Europe and the US. Right now about 85% of the test results are negative. You would hope they are able to test those in high risks groups showing symptoms. There was a story a few days back from Spain about elderly who succumbed to the disease being left where they died. Just walked off and left them to rot.

5. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I also wonder how much testing there will be for titers after all this is over to see how many more people had it than they realized.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

They are sealing off all the Reservations in Ontario tomorrow night, so everyone is going ape shot converging on cheap smokes, weed and especially gasoline. If you have generators, gas motors etc. it’s now or never to get them filled with the cheapest fuel you will EVER see around here until the electric cars take over.

7. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, what the fuck? You have got to be kidding me.

As if this thing wasn't hard enough to contain. You have people who recovered from the virus walking around for weeks as asymptomatic carriers, *and* there is period in there where they show up negative on the tests.

I have no idea how common this is, but pretending it's fairly prevalent for a moment, how do you ever stop it? How long can a country realistically maintain a full lock down?

8. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Australia finally seems to be taking this more seriously, next weeks case numbers will tell if they've made the moves quick enough. First day working from home and the Defence online network is crashing due to the numbers trying to use it. Another quality purchase by Defence.

Also fuel isn't that much lower here, Diesel state average is still aroun $1.40

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Trump extended guidelines until April 30

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Pretty powerful video from a NY doctor on the front lines.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

12. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@downndirty (or @Nettdata ) - you’ve posted the arcgis.com site with the WarGames style map, and I’ve been following that one for a few weeks as well.
    Is there a reason that the number of “recovered” cases isn’t being listed by county?
    When the cases started being recorded (when Washington was the main area) they were showing recoveries there, but when they started listing cases by state, that info was gone. I dug into the map and found there was a random dot in Kansas that was devoted to all of the recovered cases in the nation. However, now that it’s by county they’re still not showing that info per county (and that dot is gone).
    There’s actually been times when the amount of recovered cases in the US isn’t being listed at all in the “recovered” column, for an hour or so.
    I was just genuinely curious if there’s a certain reason for that, is it how the data’s being inputted, or what.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Don't know... the map itself is showing data that is not in the raw data dump in that github repo, so there is some data manipulation/aggregation/sanitization being done, so what you see is not 100% the raw data from the set.

That's one thing we're working through right now, is figuring out where all the data sets are, and then aggregating/relating them all to each other. One thing that it's really showing us is where there are huge holes in data... some of the bigger counties/states like New York have budgets for fine grained data collection, but a lot of places just don't do it and don't report, or if they do, it's via health channels and therefore not publicly available.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

16. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    As far as unreported fatalities go....

Take this with a grain of salt because there is a lot of erroneous information going around, but I read a story in the past few days that Italy was calling anyone that died in a hospital with a COVID 19 patient as a victim of the virus. Later testing showed that 80%+ of them died of something else. Add that to the fact that reputable sources cited the average age of Italy's fatalities at 81 years old a week ago and it does seem plausible. They may have just died from being old.

Once again, I don't know how reliable that report was/is. I just wish we were only being given reliable information instead of trying to filter out what may or may not be true.

17. greybeard

greybeard
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Therein lies the problem. Someone read something that was written by someone else with maybe unconfirmable information. Then the reader person passed it on. Is it true, partially true or complete bollocks? Catch22.

18. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

There is a lot of bad stuff going on not just because of the virus too. That one guy who isn't opening his hospital and beds because it's not profitable. The company that bought a ventilator manufacturer and stopped production because they weren't getting inflated prices for them.

In Japanese news, a popular comedian took a dirt nap today from coronavirus. This might be the thing that gets Japanese people to take it more seriously. Unofficial news from the grapevine says that some airlines are being told that Tokyo won't be accepting non-emergency flights after Wednesday. People are suspecting that the Shinkansen (bullet trains) will have non-emergency travel restricted from the same date.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What later testing? They only have test kits for a very few. They aren’t wasting them in the dead. I guaranfuckintee you that.

South Korea, one of the highest tested countries, has only been able to test a few thousand people per million.

Iceland testing is some of the most informative yet, and they are around 3%

https://www.iflscience.com/health-a...sting-is-telling-us-a-lot-about-the-outbreak/

Italy isn’t testing much, and Spain’s testing was a problem after their test kits were only 30% effective so they returned them to China.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ger...rate-lower-italy-spain-test-healthcare-2020-3

20. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    Like I said,I don't know about the authenticity of the story.

Possibly they maybe did autopsies and figured out they died of pneumonia or cancer or something? I don't know.

The whole story may have been 100% bullshit, but there was a hint of plausibility to it.