Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Coronavirus: Miles away from ordinary.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

yeah it got caught in my kidneys and almost killed me. I don’t drink alcohol anymore, but I was told in no uncertain terms that, based upon the blood work they took the day I was out of quarantine, that had I been drinking I would have been in the hospital at least or likely died. The doctor thought it was funnier than I did.

In regard to the lung capacity thing, I’d posted on here that I’d been having heart palpitations and a severely diminished lung capacity. Well after I got the bivalent booster, those palpitations went away, and I literally just got back from going on a run for the first time in at least a year, if not more (I was previously propped up by post-Covid medicine). Sure, it was only a mile in 10:30, and I feel like shit, but at least it was *something*. And this is going on almost 3 years since I got Covid.

All these people saying they don’t wanna take the shot, haven’t dealt with the unvaccinated version of it. I understand that I might still get it again. I get vaccinated so that it doesn’t kill me.

2. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What do you think happened to Monkeypox, please tell us.

3. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think that since there weren't enough cases soreading, the news media couldn't generate enough fear-clicks to warrant reporting on it.

Also, midterms are going on; that takes up people's attention.

Is that what you wanted to know?

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Also, not nearly as contagious, is spread via different methods and a large percentage of people hospitalized from it also had active HIV/AIDS infections.

I thought the reporting on Moneypox was generally pretty measured.

5. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

I get my 4th tomorrow. So far the two minions of mine that have gotten it got wrecked the next day. I was out for two days on the past vaccinations so I hope it doesn't happen again.

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Got the new booster + flu shot yesterday. No side effects other than a sore arm.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone not go the booster route and say fuck it like I did? Maybe if places were more fervent in needing boosters for entry I’d think about it. Half the reason I got it in the first place was I figured it’d make life easier with mandates but everyone just threw up their hands on enforcing anything. At what point do the new strains get less and less virulent enough that boosters are overkill? Potential side effects worse than the potential side effects of the now non novel virus?

8. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I only got that original booster from long ago, none of these new bivalve whatever shots. I may reconsider since the 'Vid decided to run through our shop again.

9. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know plenty of young, healthy, fully vaccinated people who have gotten covid and they pretty unanimously said it sucked. I’ll take 36 hours of vague malaise over an actual illness. I also get a flu shot every year. If they ever release the RSV vaccine I’ll get that one, too. I am team less respiratory illness writ large, for my own sake but also the general health and well-being of people around me.

10. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got J&J for my initial shot and first booster, and then Moderna for my second booster back at the end of June.

I am planning to get the new shot, but I was going to wait until around New Year's. With the holidays coming up though I may go ahead and try to get it sooner.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My logic was to get all the good juices well incorporated before holiday travel. That's the period with the highest chance of infection and the most inconvenience if I'm sick.

12. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

We’re on page 420 of the Covid thread. Heh

Anyway anyone thinking about getting the bivalent booster, even if you’re just on the fence, get it. The bivalent booster’s “symptoms” aren’t that bad at all — I’ve had it the worst of anyone I know and it was just a bad headache and lethargy for exactly 24 hours.

These new strands are supposed to be super contagious, and some of them have been real rough from what I’ve seen. As of yet I don’t know a person who has gotten the bivalent booster who has since gotten Covid, though I’m sure that’ll come with time. For now though, it’s working. Thinking of it as a condom for the holidays.

13. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, that’s where I am. If I get sick with any covid-like symptoms, I still have to quarantine for five days unless I prove with a doctor’s note that it isn’t covid. If getting a booster allowed me to just take one sick day for a sinus infection, I’d do it instead of being forced to use all my PTO on laying around like a sponge.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

See I’ve just not seen any appreciable differences in people that are boosted and got covid and the people that didn’t get any vaccination and got covid. Regardless of status it either was a nothing burger for the person or it kicked their ass for a few days. Just as random as it always has been. I never have bothered with the flu shot. Took it once when my doctor offered it at a check up. Never had the flu.

Being in Ohio most people I know refused the vaccine anyway. Most of my young liberal friends have given up on the boosters because they were just burned out on the whole concept of covid and just moved on emotionally. Most all of them have had it at least once if not multiple times and don’t see it as some death sentence or anything close, again just burned out emotionally about worrying about it. My mom and her 83 year old boyfriend are the only people I know that are still on the as soon as humanly possible train and at their age they should be.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Im going to get mine before Thanksgiving, but I’m going to schedule it on a Friday. I haven’t a had a single round of the vax that didn’t kick my butt.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I did an interview today with a very athletic lady in her young 20s. Former Olympic-style weight lifter. Covid has taken that from her. She laughed as she said "but at least it didn't kill me." Laughter, of course, being the way we often process trauma. Today I was able to run for only the second time in almost two years, because prior to the bivalent shot I was getting heart palpitations from long covid. Sadly, I have been to funerals of family and friends who did die of covid. Many more remain permanently on oxygen.

Consider yourself extremely lucky. But please don't for a second take that for granted. What you are experiencing in your circle is an anomaly, not the norm. As of currently, over 2500 people still die each week in the US from COVID. That's PREVENTABLE. The shots do not prevent you from getting covid, but they do prevent you from dying of it. Bet the families of those 2500 wish they just took the fucking shot.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

well then maybe you're just the kind that enjoys ass kickings there bud! Does your boyfriend also tuck you in at night?

18. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have we really gotten this lazy? I can see being burned out on masks, or other day-in-day-out measures, but a vaccine? I grabbed mine at the pharmacy during my lunch run to buy cornbread. I didn't even have to take the time to pay for it; the pharmacist said "you're good to go" and I walked out the door. Absolutely minimal effort.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

[​IMG]

Having a Feisty Friday, ‘Nerds?

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well the gubmint just came out and said they aren’t paying for it or testing anymore so be prepared for even lower numbers.