Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Coronavirus: Miles away from ordinary.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I do that naturally anyway, I was more referring to some flu/cold medication I'd be adding to the normal run.

As it is, I probably have 2 months of food on hand at any given time.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Good news is there's gonna be a lot of hipsters shaving their beards now.

That, or a lot of dead hipsters.

Either way, good news.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Some of the guys I work with in Tokyo are starting to report some mild panic. All stores are now sold out of tissue paper, toilet paper, masks, and most food shelves are getting bare.

This is a pic one of them sent me today when he went to go food shopping.

raph.jpg

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Not sure if you guys are aware, but a ton of the Ibuprofen, Tylenol, etc, that you buy is made in China, and most of those plants are now shut down.

That's the stuff I was talking about stocking up on... if you're prone to muscle pain, colds/flus, etc, then you may want to get some of that stuff on hand to handle a few months until the supply lines get sorted out.

5. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I forgot to mention in my previous post that a large percentage of either prescription meds or their ingredients are made in China and Korea among other places.

I was thinking about seeing what a month or two of our most vital meds would cost out of pocket. Although, there’s a good chance pharmacies are already on notice not to file them out too heavily.

We keep a good supply of Tylenol and Motrin around here, but likely not enough to see through a serious disruption of supply.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Any chance this impacts the food supply here?

7. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Mexico and countries south we get produce from? “Perhaps” is my guess.

8. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I wouldn’t be too surprised either way but personally I’d think they’d use something more potent. Just shooting from the hip with zero research though. I also don’t think Lyme disease was American government created. I’m fairly anti government but approaching this more from a “someone wouldn’t be able to keep their fucking mouth shut” approach.

I realize that’s a tougher argument for China but, yeah.

and I definitely think they are lying about the body count. My in laws lived in China for a while and were sketched out hard by the government.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

This guy was responsible for handling the AIDS epidemic in the US. Dude has solid creds and history.

He's now been told not to talk in public by the Administration.

This probably has something to do with it.... just watch Trump's reaction, knowing that this talk came right after Trump said "we'll have a cure very fast, we're working hard on a cure now, it's very close".

This is my real concern for the US... just like FEMA during various disasters... leadership matters, and you have a toddler in control, who's handed responsibility for the COVID-19 outbreak over to a guy who tried to pray AIDs away in his home state.

What could possibly go wrong?

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Anyone else’s Costco insane today?

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Wasn't too bad last night, but we had a bit of a snow storm that kept most timid people at home.

13. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We don't have one of those, but the grocery store was all but empty. Like Nett, we have easily a month or more's worth of food here at any given time but I decided it couldn't hurt to pick up a few extra odds and ends. Fucking chickens better start laying or they could have a stew pot in their future.

14. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We were going to make a trip today, but I'm not so sure I want to. I just don't want to deal with the madness.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

ABBB8A89-2F5A-4DBA-88D5-497A52BE0A38.jpeg

Lysol tapped out here.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is one of the dumbest things I have seen. Why weren't you working this hard to stop the spread of the regular flu? Get a flu shot, by your Lysol and maybe 15 - 20 million people in the US don't have the flu right now. Smh

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We currently have 2 public health crises in Houston. Yesterday, the city’s largest water main was damaged flooding the east side and cutting off water to like 2 million people. And the rest of the city is under a water boil alert. Add onto that, disease spread panic and costco and grocery stores are running low on shit.

My wife is stressed from work in addition to all of this, so things are home are going pretty great right now.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

When does hurricane season start?

19. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was in the store today stocking up on things that would go quickly in a panic (medicine, water, TP, bleach, pedialyte and gatorade for hydration if we do get sick, hand sanitizer, batteries), and I. . .

was the only one doing so. Here in north Jersey there is no run on the stores yet. Everything is well stocked.

Like some of you I’m pretty well stocked on food. Since my early teens I’ve been fascinated with prepping (mostly food, water, survival stuff as opposed to guns and gold bullion). Last year I bought a bunch of canned goods, dry goods like beans and rice, MREs, and freeze dried food so that we are good for a couple of months, and don’t even necessarily have to leave the house.

20. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah so far the stores here are normal, although it's coming up on the first of the month and are best avoided. If those big box places near you are picked over, don't forget Dollar General and similar stores. They're popping up everywhere around here, even in more rural areas and judging by the one I stopped at on the way home, are well stocked still.

I think a lot of people are still laughing it off, at least around here. Of course they do that with weather related stuff and then cry a great sob story when a warning turns into a real shitstorm.