Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Coronavirus: Miles away from ordinary.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Chase!

Chase!
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Isn't that movie now considered a documentary?

2. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In my mind it is.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Okay long covid is definitely over after the first shot. Walked 5 miles (and counting) today at legoland in 90°+ heat. If that doesn’t fuck me over, nothing will, especially since I could barely stand any temps over low 80s for longer than a few minutes during the long haul shit.

large crowds are still a weird thing and something I’ll have to get used to again. I feel safe in my home, and at our schools where I work, and that’s it. Also anxiety that I could get it again when I go out in public is still a major thing, even though I know I’ve essentially doubled up on antibodies. Hell, I know people who got pregnant using IUDs and condoms. Again, the mental health side of this is going to be massive. Anxiety has been part of my life for a very long time — ptsd makes this look like nothing — but for people for whom it is a new experience, it’s gonna suck. Especially since it’s either telemed therapy, or go to them in person, which… triggers it.

Last of the mental fog has lifted, only remaining issues are that I’m still slightly heat sensitive and I’m VERY caffeine sensitive now, which let’s be honest, caffeine is something I should cut back on. Decaf coffee might be in my future, because like alcohol, I still love the taste even if I no longer enjoy how it makes me feel.

4. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd let your doc know. They may have some studies going on you can participate in, or at a minimum, they may just want to see what symptoms linger past the vaccine.

That's fucking awesome, though. Congrats, man.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I second this... great to hear, and let your doc know! They're really anxious to collect any and all long-term information they can right now.

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

done. Just sent them a message for their records. I kinda was worried that the whole “shot can fix it” thing was a myth before, but for that first shot to resolve some rather drastic issues, that quick… I’m a fucking believer.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That’s one movie I support a remake of. It had so much potential for ideas and humour, and it was executed so poorly.

8. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also "testifying" at the same Ohio committee was this nurse. Does someone want to explain to her that most keys aren't magnetic?
    https://twitter.com/Tylerjoelb/status/1402646586379878409

9. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Glad to hear the long 'vid is over for you. I mostly lurk, but your tales have been a lighthouse against being too wreckless.

10. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

On the other hand, these lotteries being carried out with leftover federal stimulus money don't speak well for the the originally allocated stimulus in the first place.

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

It's exciting to possibly be rewarded for getting it, but it didn't seem to move the needle much in my state. Vaccinations have been slacking off,probably just due to the pool of people who still need it & want to get it. The expert at the end of the article says it is too early to say for sure what effect the lotteries have had on turnout though.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/202...1-million-jackpot-fails-to-motivate-many.html

13. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They've dropped off badly here. Newly vaccinated get a bonus entry so I hope it motivates some of the fence sitters.

14. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

what’s crazy is, it wasn’t even that for me. Normally my own stupidity is the direct cause of pain for me. Except this time, it was an asshole parent (who is a cop of all things) lying about her child testing positive, in order to allow him to continue playing high school basketball, and thus allowing exposure to our family. We all got it from her son. My nephew, who was directly exposed, has been to the hospital multiple times for *just* asthma and she knew this. Thank god he didn’t die from covid. His mom/my sister also got it, as did her husband/my BIL, as well as my youngest son and obviously myself.

I have some choice words for her next time I see her. Cunt.

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As I understand it the money was originally allocated for vacation marketing awareness campaigns in which case the lottery and subsequent National/worldwide news coverage of them was a brilliant strategy. Interesting to see how much it moved the needle. I have to assume it did better than some Facebook sidebar add spending could have ever done with the same amount of money.

16. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From what I understand, the lottery monies are state funds.

Not sure where you're getting "leftover stimulus" money, but between the CARES Act and the ARPA funding, a lot of the federal money hasn't been spent yet.

17. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

been here for a while, can confirm.

18. Chase!

Chase!
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Going back to Texas tomorrow having spent a week in Florida. One noticeable thing remaining from covid: extreme heat sensitivity now. Fortunately that’s largely remedied with proper clothing like those long sleeve fishing shirts, gaiters, and full brim hats (mission brand ftw). I’ve learned that I can do wind and direct sun, or shade and no wind, but not direct sun and no wind. It might be as much an issue with my body properly cooling as it is heat sensitivity.

Y’all idiots have any other tricks on how to resolve this until it resolves itself?

Normally I’ve just been avoiding the worst parts of the day, but today I’m going out with a fishing guide so it’s kinda unavoidable. Gonna give my “proper clothing” a real test. Great guide I’ve known forever with a solid boat though, so I’m confident if it gets too bad he’ll reposition us. Unless we’re on the fish, then I just suck it up until I pass out lol