Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Coronavirus: Miles away from ordinary.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Jan 28, 2020.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I read a study with a guy who got the 2 Pfizer doses with a Moderna booster (studying possible improved immunity by mixing shots) and he says the 3rd shot was the absolute worst in terms of side effects. I don't know if it was just because it was an additional booster with corresponding immune response, or if it was because it was a different vaccine... but I'm thinking future boosters are going to kick me on my ass.

Wondering if boosters will be available by the time our child gets the first dose. I'm thinking sometime between Oct-Dec the youngest age groups will be eligible, which would also be 6-9mo after we were dosed.

It would be amazing if the US had a federal "health maintenance day" where you get a routine checkup, bloodwork if you need it, check your BP/sugars, and get annual vaccinations. I know everyone wasn't affected like me and hubs were by the vaccine, but we were totally useless the next day. He luckily had PTO so we managed, but a lot of people are not so lucky.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the ACA mandated insurance companies provide one free physical a year. I got mine last month hoping to spend all of my hsa allowance before it ran out on the testing I assumed I would be responsible for. All covered. I had to blow it on Amazon with hsa approved products.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

when I had actual covid I had some pretty intense pain at the back of the knee. Like, couldn’t get out of bed because of it kinda intense. At least from how it impacted me, it was hugely neurological, so my body thought one thing was happening even if it wasn’t. And my understanding is that the shot mimics the actual disease, just in a safer and more mild way.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Second dose of Pfizer in the arm! Now I just sit and wait to see what kinda crazy shit my body is gonna do this time!!

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

That's awesome, but I meant to take it a bit further and offer workplace protections for going to the visit and recovering from vaccine side effects. If it's important for community health and health system costs, it should be encouraged and protected.

I read a lot of the vaccine side effect is related to your personal inflammatory response, and that there's not a correlation between the strength of your immune response and your vax side effects. Like for me, I have pretty severe chronic issues with my lumbar discs and after the shot I had a crazy flare of inflammation in my back. Couldn't lift my kid, it hurt to walk. Have you ever had a knee injury on that knee?

6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I've had various knee injuries on both knees yes. Long distance running doesn't take kindly to your joints over the years, plus after the brain surgery I lost so much weight, most of it in my lower body, that I actually dislocated both knees several times each because there was basically no muscle holding them in place.

7. Chase!

Chase!
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

8. Chase!

Chase!
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just got the call. Covid negative. Fucking awesome.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just got my 2nd jab rescheduled for next week after they opened it up more today.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Have Advil handy. I feel so damn weak and have cold sweats now.

11. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They actually do have vaccine hours in some places you can use for vacation time. I was out two days after my second shot. One day I had to use vacation time, the other day was covered by COVID vaccine pay. Not sure if it's a NY thing or just my company, but there was definitely a payroll code for it.

12. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I've never heard of that. Awesome that you had it though!

13. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I just checked, it's a NY thing. You get 4 hours per vaccine shot. Since I didn't skip any time for my first one, they added 8 for my second.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

At least they were quickly handled and it only lasted for a few hours.

Too bad it get all the attention though. Fucking MSM.

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's not really precise.

The shot triggers an immune response, which is where some of the symptoms of any disease come from. But since there's no actual infection occurring (no virus particles actually infecting host cells), you aren't going to experience any of the symptoms of the actual disease itself, especially as it relates to infections within specific organs.

With many/most diseases, the side effects of the immune response are part of the infection symptoms, but the specific disease process is also a component to that.

My company had a decent response to this, and one of the items was providing 4 hours of vacation time per dose so you could both get the dose and take the afternoon off or whatever. I didn't realize it was a NY thing, that's probably where it came from - since the company is national, they frequently take state-specific benefits and just apply them across the board.

18. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

doesn't it basically train your body how to fight this specific one though? Thanks for correcting it. I understand this on a surface level to the extent that I know it's really good for me and I should do it to protect myself and others.

Also, field report: once you get it, side effects from the shot are not pleasant. Got the second dose of pfizer around this time yesterday. I feel.... not ideal

19. Evolution

Evolution
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yes and no. To keep it quick, it’s an RNA vaccine right? And the job of RNA is to make protein. So basically, the way this vaccine works is that the developers found a piece of protein that codes for a recognizable piece of the virus, kind of like giving a bouncer a picture of someone. There isn’t any infectious material of the virus in the RNA that is used though.

20. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup, it absolutely does.

Building an immune response to a novel infection takes time, and often once the body has recognized the invasion and built up that immune response, the infection has progressed really far and is difficult to fight effectively. It's actually one of the reasons why the immune response is sometimes what kills people: your body is suddenly trying to kill off this enormous number of infectious agents in every part (or critical parts) of your body, and in doing so, the fever or cell destruction or whatever ends up being fatal.

But your immune system can remember infections that it has seen and fought off previously, which allows it to attack infections as soon as they're seen rather than having a lag time during the detection and response building phase. Vaccines have a variety of ways they train the immune system, but this one actually hands your own cells a "blueprint" for manufacturing one of the proteins of the Coronavirus - the spike protein that sits on the outside of the virus. Your cells manufacture the protein, then your body sees the foreign protein and builds an immune response to it. Then when the spike protein shows up again for real, your body recognizes it immediately.

The cool part of the mRNA vaccine is that you can basically stuff any part of any virus into it. So it makes it really easy to create new ones - you just get a copy of the virus, sequence it (analyze its parts), decide which sequence/part you want to create an immune response to, and stuff that sequence into the vaccine. The vaccine itself doesn't really change much, just the little viral sequence/"blueprint" that you stuff into it.