Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Coronavirus: Miles away from ordinary.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Jan 28, 2020.

1. billy_2005

billy_2005
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

So two of my very good friends (both doctors) and their children got COVID in December. It got into their house through their nanny, who lives with her son who worked at a crossfit gym and picked it up there. The wife and kids got off pretty easy, loss of sense of taste and smell (which has returned), general feeling shitty. He wasn't quite so lucky. It manifested in him as pericarditis, and over a month later he still can't raise his heart rate without crushing chest pains. But it is slowly improving and unlikely to result in permanent damage. 34 years old and in decent shape.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I'm 32 and in good shape as well. I workout for about an hour 4-5 days a week, either running, weight lifting, or both. The scary thing is, it affects everyone differently. Sure, I was less likely for it to be severe due to my health, and certainly less likely to die (I am doing much better today than I was yesterday, which was the worst). But I can absolutely see how one little hiccup here and I'd be in the hospital or worse. Like let's say I was still drinking and I was hungover when the symptoms first hit -- absolutely certain I wouldn't have been able to fight it on my own. As it is, the doctor just called in antibiotics, steroids, and an inhaler for me.

That whole "I'm young and healthy so it won't be bad" thing is a myth. I'm young and healthy and it is fucking horrible. Everyone wear your goddamn mask.

3. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thank you for the response, She was not wearing a mask, but it was pretty brief. I am not too worried about the test tomorrow. On another note yet another person came down with Covid in my office I find out this morning. It just feels like the walls are closing in on catching this damn thing.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

do people in the office wear masks while in the office?

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Doctor gave me prednisone, z-pack and albuterol. Also known as “dropping a nuke on a single taliban”

6. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pred and albuterol are emergency meds for asthma.

Da fuq you got son?

7. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe the albuterol if you have any breathing stress. Is it prednisone or prednisolone? The latter is sometimes given for reducing severe flu symptoms.

8. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A concussion soon, probably

9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

breathing issues. SPo2 levels are still fine, but it can get quite challenging, especially at night. I’ve been “this” close to going to hospital for it several times. These would have been much better to have several days ago when the breathing was worse, as it’s gotten a bit better, but better late than never.

If you want to replicate at home what I’m experiencing, lay flat on the ground and put about a 20-30 lbs weight (at least) directly on your chest. Now take a deep breath. Repeat until exhausted.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If you find you're running out of breath, which I have a couple of times with lung infections, I found that standing in front of the freezer door breathing in super cold air really helped. It was cool, refreshing, and maybe a bit more dense.

11. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

so that’s how you got ice in your veins

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nah, I lived my pre-school years in the NorthWest Territories and Yukon.

13. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Z-pack actually shows some antiviral properties for some odd reason.

14. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

Man, that low heart rate scares me since I already have one around 50bpm and it can drop to ~40 while I'm sleeping...

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Day 7 and I feel like I have turned the corner. Still easily exhausted/winded, breathing is still a bit labored but nowhere near what it was. Smell and taste still completely gone but everything else is largely fine. I credit the inhaler and steroids to really helping with that.

Y’all, this fucking SUCKED. The only thing I can compare it to was how I felt after my brain surgery. It was worse than any hangover I’ve had, doesn’t even compare to the flu. It was absolutely some evil shit. And that I’m elated now with merely a bit of labored breathing and getting exhausted still when I walk to another room, should tell you how bad it was at the worst. There were points when I seriously considered going to the hospital, and didn’t see a way out of this for me.

do whatever you can to make sure you don’t get this fucking thing. Stay indoors until the shot becomes available. I know this doesn’t affect some people that bad, but I am young and in great shape and it absolutely destroyed me. That there’s a chance you could still get it to that extent, fucking hell...

16. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've read a lot about people feeling better then getting ten times worse and I don't know if it is how the virus works or if it is because people who feel 10% better start acting like they are 100% better.

Just remind yourself that it is okay to take extra time to recover.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

oh yeah I'm taking it super easy and slow. Can't afford to fuck this up. My thinking is, if I'm still feeling fine this time next week, then I'll slowly ramp back up.

I end "quarantine" on the 6th, and I'm giving it another 3 weeks starting then before I do any intentional exercise again. Also work basically told me take whatever time you need, just don't die.

18. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another guy at my wife's work popped positive. Difference with this guy is that she's had interactions with him vs the other guys being outside sales or technicians in the shop. She took a test today and hopefully results tomorrow or Friday. She felt a little off yesterday and had a temp of 99.0* for a few hours. Felt fine by the end of the day.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

first day of symptoms for me felt like typical allergies. About halfway through the second day it hit me like a bomb and there was no mistaking what was going on. That was also when the rapid test came back. By the time I got the lab results back I was like yeah no shit.

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The guy didn't feel the best last Friday. Boss sent him home and told him to get tested. Wifey felt run down yesterday and last night his results came back positive. She said she's feeling fine today but is staying home from work as a precaution.