Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Coronavirus: Miles away from ordinary.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Jan 28, 2020.

1. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

lol man, you were fuuuuuuucked up. Really put a pin in the enjoyment for that trip. We thought you had gotten COVID like...a month after the fact. Tested negative twice tho so I guess not. Or I got really luck.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

My wife and I are convinced we had it a year ago. I went on a business trip to SF in early February and about a week later my wife and I both had fevers and bad coughs that lasted another week or so.

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Nothing is annoying and everything is helpful at this point.

Y’all if you don’t have a blood oximeter, get one. Now. Last night was horrible. I would have gone to hospital if I didn’t keep getting SPo2 readings around 97% and heart rate between 55-85 bpm. Felt like someone was pushing down on my chest every time I took a breath.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Also propped myself up in bed. And slept better after that. Breathing issues still fucked up, but at least I got a few hours. Thanks to whomever said that, you made a difference.

new symptom: throbbing pain behind the eyes

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just FYI, the science is still unclear as to how much of a risk people are, who have antibodies either through illness or vaccine. It's actually pretty likely that you'll still be able to spread the virus to others even if you are no longer a disease risk yourself (you can be a temporary host for a virus while your body is fighting it off).

Wearing a mask is still going to be important for a good long time, even for people who have protective immunity. Go grab that gaiter.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

6. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Obviously this all comes with the standard disclaimer of get care if you need it/I’m not a doctor/etc.

So in addition to the standard stuff - rest (do try to move/stretch/reposition periodically because blood clots), hydration (electrolytes are important), otc meds as needed to manage symptoms, the docs at our practice recommend expectorants over decongestants (eg mucinex not Sudafed) since decongestants will dry you out more and can make it harder to actually bring mucus up. Cool mist humidifiers are good, and some people find it helpful to turn the shower on super hot and let it get really steamy in the bathroom for a little while. Spend some time every day trying to do deep breathing exercises. If anyone will get close to you, they can do some gentle percussions on your back to help break up gunk in your chest. Clinically it won’t make a difference since you’re oxygenating ok, but some people feel better sleeping on their stomachs (hospitals have been proning COVID patients since early days) since it can be easier to really fill your lungs up that way. There is evidence that vitamin d deficiency is bad for COVID outcomes, and some preliminary studies that supplementation could be helpful, so they recommend taking vit d since it *might* help and can’t hurt, though that’s better advice for before you’re sick. Last but not least, be gentle with yourself as you start to feel better. Some people recover a little then feel worse, others push themselves too hard as they start to feel less crappy and seem to draw out some of the symptoms.

Good luck, I hope you’re feeling better soon!

7. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I found out, by accident, last time I had a upper respiratory infection, that a real bass-y song played through a Bluetooth speaker that was laying on my chest broke up a ton of that gunk. Within minutes it seemed like everything in my lungs was coming out when I coughed. It helped my breathing immensely.

8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's an amazing idea and something I'm going to file away in the back of my head.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, no shit. Never would have thought of it.

10. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought it only lasted in your blood for a limited amount of time? A few months IIRC

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I don’t know. You’d think there would be some marker that would say it had been there, albeit not in force.

Worst case they take a lung x-ray and say, “yep, you had it and you’re fucked “.

12. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What's that? Need some bass in your face? This was always my benchmark for any new subwoofers I installed.
    https://youtu.be/sKwBZ83BOQw

13. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Antigen tests bind specifically to virus particles. Once there is no more virus, there's nothing to bind to - it doesn't detect antibodies in your system.

14. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going to try to patent the bass/sound treatment... but I'm lazy and never did.

15. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

i'm all about that bass

16. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm lucky that it took this long but I have my first personal death connection to covid. My cousin's husband's mom just passed due to the virus.

17. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

Wife now has it. She’s going with my kiddos to get tested later but I’m positive she has it. Pain breathing, fatigued easily, same stuff I went through.

spo2 still 97 so she’s good, no hospital yet. Heart rate low as well. I cannot emphasize this enough: get a damn oximeter

18. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck, I met with a client last Thursday, outside and for just a minute and I was masked. She started to feel ill on Friday and tested positive on Saturday. I am not sure what I am supposed to do, but I guess I had better get tested asap.

19. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Masked, outside and short duration are very good protection. It's important to get tested, but your actual chances of infection are not high, and go down even further if you kept your distance. Don't worry too much.

The most reliable test results are 5-7 days after exposure. Get a PCR test (i.e. not a rapid test) when you can - tomorrow or Wednesday are probably the most accurate days for you to get tested prior to showing symptoms.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

not sure the test would be accurate at this point. Getting tested can’t hurt, but I would expect to wait another 2 days or so before you could expect an accurate test.

regardless, if you were outside, it was quick, and you were wearing a mask, it was likely a low viral load if you did get it. Was she wearing a mask too?