Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Coronavirus: Miles away from ordinary.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Trickysista

Trickysista
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Reading all these posts about the upcoming school year is making my anxiety flare-up. My daughter will be 5 in August and supposed to be starting kindergarden. However, our school district has not yet set out a concrete plan of attendance. One plan that was mentioned at a school board meeting would have my daughter attending school Monday, Tuesday and every other Wednesday from 9:00-1:15, and then distance learning Thursday and Friday. My firm didn't give me the option to wfh when our county shut down for 3 months, so I'm not positive they will let me wfh if I have to pick up my daughter at 1:15 and then stay home with her when she's distance learning. I have so many questions, it makes my head spin. And it makes me so sad for her, because if she doesn't have a good, solid experience during her first year in "big girl school", what kind of precedent will that set for her future schooling?

2. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Your not the only parent with those problems, my wife and her teacher friends have been having the phones blow up by parents asking them same questions and dealing with the same issues.

The big one besides health and safety is who is gonna stay home and watch the kids while the parents work?

No easy answer there, if your not comfortable with your kids going to school, daycare isn’t any better, even if you can afford it.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw a kid put his lips on the fountain when I was in first grade even at that age I was disgusted with it. My gym opened back up the water fountains but assholes still spit in them so I don’t go near them. There is a bottle filler one I don’t mind.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Bottle-filler fountains are an absolutely marvellous invention. I always hated drinking fountains, it’s impossible to not look stupid while using one.

5. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, a guy I work with in Tokyo has tested positive and is now hospitalized... as in "hmmm... I wonder why Covid-Dude isn't showing up for this scheduled meeting?" Afterwards we found out why.

Thankfully it's not @malisbad , but we both know him. As a result, though, @malisbad is now back to working from home, along with the rest of the multi-company org, and they all have to take their temps and report on them multiple times a day as part of the post-contact regimen.

I'm quite happy just sitting over here, at home, watching my garden grow in the heat. Alone. Socially distanced.

7. Trickysista

Trickysista
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Welp, the universe must have heard me, because I just received an email from my school district stating what the plan is for this school year. "Based on the latest release of guidance and current “Green” status for [my county], [my school district] continues to plan to reopen schools in Fall 2020 with face-to-face instruction for all students to the maximum extent possible while adhering to health and safety guidelines. This plan will include a remote learning option that is more rigorous than the Continuity of Learning program utilized for the Spring 2020 closure. This remote learning option taught by teachers will be available for any student or family who does not wish to return for in-person learning in the fall."

So now it's decision time! YAY.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

I'm leaving tomorrow to go to the Texas coast for two days. Six of us + two kids staying in a rented friend's house, bringing three canopies and three vehicles to assert our socially distanced dominance over the public access beach. Since one member of the group is pregnant (not me), we will be VERY cautious, and have enough food to fill the bed of my f250 by itself. House we're staying at is on the water and fishing should be good. Last we heard the place is decimated anyway, as most everyone there is either sick, in the hospital, or headed that way. Like a ghost town.

Watch there be a bunch of frat bros all running around now.

9. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's a fucking travesty that rich and/or out of touch old people are making parents choose between paying the bills or the health of their children.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

11. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

American politicians are signing a document demanding the border be reopen and Canadians are having NONE of it.

We are at a point up here where more are are more terrified of Americans coming here than they are of the virus itself. And it comes with good reason: minimal new cases are coming in here, while America is a complete hotzone. Here’s the John Hopkins University outbreak map:

2D23781D-D4E4-42BC-9E1E-CA51D5A7A7E1.jpeg

...the only spot on the USA map that isn’t red is where mountains or desert are. Opening the border would be a fucking disaster for us, what the fuck are they thinking down there?

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, the US has, for the most part, stupid fucking politicians, so don't care what they're whining about... stay the fuck out of my country until you get your COVID shit together.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

15. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah if anything anyone I talk to wants them to actually tighten up the border closure to stop the American lying about their reason to get in and then just going about their vacation as if everything was normal. Until the Americans start operating in reality no one really wants them here.

16. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know about the USA, but that red dot up by alaska near the coast is BS. In the whole of Northern BC there 65 cases and all 65 have recovered. Which is why i am not really worried about school come September.

18. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You telling me your area is Covid free now, and not one person died from it when it was active?

No wonder you lot don't want Americans up there.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Ummmmm.... is this for real? That serviceman sure doesn’t sound like he’s joking.

20. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes in our health district(roughly the size of texas) within the province has had zero deaths. Our whole province 3028 cases with 186 deaths. But 99 percent of those are from the Metro Vancouver area.