Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Coronavirus: Miles away from ordinary.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Jan 28, 2020.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You will also have parents who refuse to send kids.

I would wager they wont be able to send kids for the full year.

2. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I find out a parent sent a child to school with a fever, something parents do during a typical flu season anyway, I'm going to swear revenge on that parent.

Otherwise, I don't know what fever rooms would be used for except having a child show up with a fever.

My son is autistic, in special education, so here in Virginia, he can go 4 days a week. That's something he will benefit from immensely. We could choose to do Virtual learning, but he didn't respond to it end of last year, he won't this year. His teachers seem to want him back in a classroom with them. His class only had eight kids in it and he was probably the one child that distances himself naturally. He will wash hands and sanitize and wear a mask when appropriate, we have been working on those things.

Other students can alternate weeks, one on one off, or something like that, or choose virtual classes.

Everyone is getting fucked one way or another around here. Parents, teachers and students. It's a huge fucking disruption in everyone's life, career and education.

3. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One kind of funny thing.

My district started some in-person summer school this week. They asked every kid if they had contact with someone infected with Covid-19. If they said yes, they were sent home.

It didn’t take students long to figure out how to manipulate that one.

4. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

North Carolina, no unions here for teachers.

they will lose staff this year over this, no question

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The private school my sister sends her 4 kids to is going to heavily use remote learning and zoom calls. They started to do 100% remote at the end of this past semester when the covid stuff started to look serious and will continue to do it in the fall. I think there is a possibility they may cycle in students in the classes and take turns physically at the classroom site to keep the number of bodies down.

The schools are still formulating a plan and the information is not super clear to the parents although her husband is a teacher so he had a little more inside info. As expensive as the private schools are, and with the type of learning disability one of her children has, she thinks that she is just going to homeschool them this year.

Considering how much she bitched about it last semester and just generally seem stressed and miserable, I foresee a rough time of it for them in the future.

I have no I have no idea what the public school system is doing but considering how shitty and underfunded their public schools are, I doubt they have the resources to do any sort of remote education.

6. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In Texas there is a union but bargaining power is severely limited.

It’s illegal for teachers to strike here as well. Those who do can lose their certification and their pension.

The one big problem the government could help solve now but won’t is substitute teachers. Right now there is a shortage of substitutes and the few there are fall into high risk groups.

We are going to need more substitutes than ever because teachers should quarantine if exposed. One kid who has Covid will expose 6 teachers.

Pay subs more to attract a younger clientele, loosen requirements for education (it doesn’t matter if you have college education to be a sub more or less) and get them hired now.

#2806 Gravy, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It might comfort you to know Kanye is running on an anti-vax platform. I fucking DARE your country to be stupid again this November.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Substitute teachers is one topic I had not considered with covid.

I got into the sub system when I first moved to Oregon. There was a bit of cost upfront (altogether maybe $400 or so) because I needed temporary certifications and other credentials, especially since I do not have an education degree. They are very very short on substitutes here and work was available. However, they expect the substitutes to function as a full teacher in the classroom using their usual teaching materials which I was not expecting. I have never taught before and do not have training to do so, so I was kind of blindsided because they do not prepare you for the classroom with your certifications. Plus, schools operate a lot differently here compared to when I was in school. I basically made enough money to cover my sunk cost and stopped answering calls. Every day in the classroom was an anxiety-inducing experience and I hated it. I felt like I was going to do something wrong and screw the kids up.

Are expectations for substitute teachers different in other states?

If there ends up being an even worse shortage of teachers and substitutes they maybe should look at modifying their expectations...

Also, fuck common core math. That brief exposure alone was enough to make me want to homeschool my kid.

9. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Theoretically, no. Subs should be able to carry out a full plan. But in reality (Like you pointed out) that’s an incredibly dumb expectation.

I think elementary teachers approach it a little more methodically, but high school teachers approach it thusly: read this announcement, pass out these papers, keep them relatively quiet. Even pre-pandemic, teachers who gave a shit had all of their work online anyway. My sub plans are always “tell the students to check google classroom.”

It’s a baby sitting job that should be tremendously easy ( if teenagers weren’t absolute dicks to subs).

However, as a sub there is just an endless list of things you have to rely on students for: do you go to lunch at first or second bell? Is there any extra Kleenex in the room? Can students go to the library/computer lab? The plans so no student can go to the bathroom but Sally Q says she has permission from the nurse. Blah blah blah. There are so many things like that a true sub plan would be five pages long.

I’ve had more than a few jobs and being a substitute teacher is among the worst of them because you don’t know shit, the kids hate you, and you’re making zilch.

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With unemployment this high, you can afford to lose staff. What you cannot afford are going to be the lawsuits, which some states AG's are already working on.

I feel for the parents in this, especially those that can't work remote. The anxiety over the educational disruption alone would make me lose my shit.

11. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My daughter has developmental delays and is in special education as well. She also gets occupational and speech therapy service through the school district in addition to the therapy she gets through my health insurance. The problem is that she's going to be 5 on August 27th, meaning that she'd be going into kindergarten as probably the youngest kid in class. Couple this with her delays and the chances of her being held back would be pretty high. So, my wife and I decided to send her to a private preschool for the upcoming year so she could go into public school right after she turned 6. This way she could still get her therapy through the school and be more prepared for kindergarten.

That's the plan anyway. The problem is that we haven't heard shit from the preschool on how classes will be handled or from the school district on how she'll get her therapy. The initial thought was that she'd be in a small classroom with other special needs kids and get her services that way, but given how the case numbers are spiking it's hard to be hopeful about it.

Luckily for me, I'm working remotely, so I can at least give my wife a hand. My poor wife on the other hand, is facing the prospect of homeschooling like she did during spring. The difference being that she'll also have to manage our son, who did a lot more sleeping and couldn't walk yet during spring. Now he's a 30 pound wrecking ball that puts everything that isn't nailed down into his mouth.

I'm fairly certain every person in this household is going to ugly cry at some point in September.

12. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sweet fuck, I had to put a customer in a fucking arm bar in front of his family today. Just spent my entire afternoon and evening at the goddamn cop shop and lost most of my wages for the day on top of it.

Place I work at requires masks to be worn until your order is placed and drinks arrive, which is to say roughly 5-10 minutes or so. Reason is because the place is long and narrow by design so that it looks fuller even if you only have a handful of tables. Makes it tricky to distance people on the way to and from their tables so it’s our workaround.

So the owner gives out masks for free and put a giant blackboard at the entrance explaining the situation as concisely as possible. Poor guy agonized over it because it’s important but you can’t have people jamming up the entrance while they read. Been open for just under a month now and aside from a few snide remarks everyone has been playing nice.

Then today around noon some dicksmack rolls through the door with his rubber head family, reads the sign, and flips his wig on the hostess like we’re asking for a fucking kidney! I’m behind the bar getting a bottle of port when this goes down so I head over and try to de-escalate but this piece of shit calls me a prairie-nigger and smacks a box of masks off the server stand in the direction of the hostess.

I overreacted badly, and while I don’t necessarily regret hurting this scumbag, I’m disappointed that it had to come to that. My autistic daughter has better manners and more humanity in her than this grown adult. Just wear the fucking free mask for a few minutes so we can operate with some semblance of normalcy! I’ll even forgive the slur! I’ve been called worse by better anyways.

I just want to cook.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

nah, don't beat yourself up. You didn't react badly -- you reacted appropriately. Sounds like that fuckstain used what are legally referred to as "fighting words," and combined with his actions, your response was well within your rights, at the very least. Also curious as to why your boss didn't cover your wages for the missed time since you were arguably also defending the hostess, who would have been caught up in that if it escalated, which he clearly wanted to do.

Some people have just lost their humanity, and it's sad. I hope his arm hurts for a long time.

sorry that happened to you man.

14. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It blows my mind that people act like this over wearing a fucking mask. So sorry man.

15. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think you overreacted. The situation could have escalated even more and you put a halt to it PDQ. Honestly, I think people like that need their asses kicked more; its time to show them that acting out is for two year olds and comes with consequences.

16. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Our organization decided in an effort to keep our occupancy at 50%, we will strictly enforce the rules, no exceptions. I found out at Monday's meeting we have apparently become notorious for having the strictest enforcement. While several places nearby have been getting in trouble with the state, we haven't and we want to keep it that way.

Additionally, we have a lot of older people coming in daily. We want to protect them.

Yet there's one board member who keeps trying to get us to relax some of the rules because "a couple people asked" ( usually this is him trying to slip his own ideas by us ). I responded to the text with a very firm message that if members want us to be open, they will follow the rules. They don't like it, go elsewhere.

I don't give a shit if you don't believe the science, think "it's just the flu", hate the governor, or whatever. Follow the rules or fuck off. What's so goddamned hard about that?

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It’s not wearing a mask, it’s taking a dump on the Constitution. It starts with masks, it ends with the Secret Police breaking down your door and dumping molecular acid on your family while they sleep. Never give an inch.

Let these people go paint cars in an auto body shop for a couple of days and see what they think about not wearing masks.

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My gym this morning added a mask policy finally but you only have to have them on walking to and from working out. Not during your exercise. I’m not a doomer by any stretch of the imagination but the amount of spit particles expectorated during heavy lifts does bother me. Seems like the time you should wear mask the most. Otherwise the gym is pretty sparse so social distancing is good and everyone wipes everything down. I’d say maybe 10% of the people had mask with them at all.

19. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My gym has a mask requirement to enter, and when you're not exercising. I am there at 5 am, so it's pretty sparse and people are pretty good about cleaning machines.

Not working out in a gym setting for 3 months, a bunch of new stress, and little else to do but eat has my routine kicking my ass. Wearing that mask walking from thing to thing is downright miserable.

The weird thing is no lockers or water fountains, so we all run around with bags and backpacks.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No water fountains? I wonder why.

[​IMG]