Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Coronavirus II: Electric Boogaloo and the long-term impact.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, May 15, 2020.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Forget individual companies, entire countries, particularly from SE Asia, have been taking loans from China for financial assistance before the pandemic even occurred. Pakistan, for example, is in deep with China and there are all sorts of reports of Pakistani women being "strongly coerced" into being married off to single, wealthy Chinese men. So now you have state-sponsored human trafficking and Pakistan is trying to keep it as quiet as possible due to the debt obligations. Not to mention they have already ceded a bit of territory to them.

2. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pakistan is in deep with China as a counterbalance to India. It's an ongoing relationship that's been developing for almost sixty years. The land Pakistan ceded to China was an exchange of land between the two countries as part of the 1963 Sino-Pakistan Agreement which established the border between them. Pakistan actually gained about 20 square miles of land in the exchange. The land Pakistan exchanged is also claimed by India so big surprise, India does not recognize the border.

It's not just Pakistan. It includes Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and others, however calling it state-sponsored is an overstatement. A more accurate description is the Chinese Government doesn't care. China treats their own migrant populace like shit; Google BRI Chinese worker's conditions. Meanwhile, Chinese smuggling rings take advantage of countries indebted to China, because as you stated, many of these governments often won't prosecute Chinese nationals involved out of fear of embarrassing China and fucking up aid and infrastructure agreements. What these countries don't realize, is how important "face" is to the Chinese government. Until they do, there's no incentive for the Chinese government to crack down on the activity.

3. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well maybe in a longer-term play, but the more immediate reason is that Pakistan has been on the verge of bankruptcy for years, and the pandemic is only putting the nail in that coffin. They have no exports other than some cotton and other smaller textile-based raw materials, but really nothing else. Pakistan gets the economic bailout they don't want to go to the IMF for and China gets better access to the Middle East and someone to deal with the fanatical Islamists on its western border, all under the banner of the Belt and Road Initiative.

4. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That and the nuclear weapons technology they sold to various terrorist states

https://outrider.org/nuclear-weapons/articles/scientist-who-sold-nuclear-technology/

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Yeah, I’m sure Islamabad feels Islamaterrible about that, but the only way to find out how successful they were is if one of your cities gets turned into a debris field.

Pakistan is the. Scariest. Thing. On. Earth. Period. It’s what should keep you up at night, it should be the stuff of your absolute worst nightmares.

Kooks with nukes. I cannot fathom how that doesn’t bother more people.

6. wilder111

wilder111
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

personally; what China is doing in Africa should REALLY worry people. They're in select, often poor countries, purely for rare-minerals, used in tech. You can start up a "mine" in parts of the African sphere that are 100% chinese ran, developed, and exported under. To say nothing of the influence China exerts on what most would call "fragile" governments. Imagine if China gains a Monopoly on producing tech hardware....it's the "Silicon War"

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Chinese investment in Africa, particularly sub-Sahara, is very small-scale, though. Africa has never competed whatsoever on the global stage and to them, the Chinese look like another duck in a long line of imperialists. Even if Africa started trusting China, they just dont have the first-rate shipping and refining infrastructure to really metabolize those goods that they would harvest.

8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I always assumed China wanted to merely give the impression their work in Africa is small-scale. I don’t think any nation wants make noise there anywhere in the near future after stacking up how much French people exploited practically the entire continent and turned it into a shell of itself— and never accounted for it.

I just assume when China does something a combination of lies and goon oppression soon follows, because that is what they do.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

In Mr. Robot China annexes the Democratic Republic of Congo. So thats somethin'.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

What did the Congo cost? A super-big Gulp and a Ryan Leaf rookie card?

Too mainstream. I was into the Congo when it was still Zaire.

11. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That’s where the Belgians were in “We Didn’t Start the Fire.”

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Well, China doesn't really like religion, no matter what their Constitution says. As for the second point, no they don't. But thats most Asian countries for you. I had never really experienced racism whatsoever until I went to China. Granted we probably deserved it, but still.

The fact is China bungled their Coronavirus response far worse than any other country, pre-, during and post-.