Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Coolest Movie Moments of All Time

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Crown Royal, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

A great place to try and one-up each other. Let's let Mr. Liotta demonstrate how to walk the Walk:

...mmmmmm. Pistol whip. Doesn't break stride, doesn't take the black pools of deadness in his eyes off the guy for a second. Scorsese is a master of this kind of brutality.

Focus: Post or talk about the coolest movie scenes of all time.

#1 Crown Royal, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. example

example
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

So much tension built up in this scene:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TJJtEIcKjU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TJJtEIcKjU</a>
    My favorite one from GoodFellas is still Joe Pesci's "funny like a clown?" scene. In fact speaking of Pesci there are a few scenes from My Cousin Vinny that could be on here.

3. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Being buried alive and punching your way out of the coffin is cool enough, but add that right after she calmly walks to a diner and asks for a glass of water and you get a crowning moment of awesome.

#3 Dr. Gonzo Esquire, Nov 26, 2010
  4. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Out of all the great moments I've seen in all of the great movies over the years, there is still just one that I always think back to as the most "holy shit I have goosebumps" moment. It is probably because this is one of my all time favorite movies and there is a lot of nostalgia at play here, but this is definitely, in my opinion, the coolest movie moment of all time (specifically at the 44s mark):

I have goosebumps right now.

#4 Fernanthonies, Nov 26, 2010
  5. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh man, there are at least a few dozen things that instantly popped into my mind as soon as I read the topic description. Let's start off with an iconic classic, Frank's introduction in "Once Upon a Time in the West";

(By the way, this shitty, low quality version does it no justice. "Once Upon a Time in the West" is an epic film that deserves to be watched on a gigantic, extra-wide television with blaring speakers)

Just so perfect. A normal family is suddenly gunned down by an unknown force as they scramble for their lives. After the quick carnage is over, the little boy left inside the house runs out, finding his entire family slaughtered, as an amazing Ennio Moricone theme starts playing. Finally, the outlaws come into view, including one of the greatest villains of all time, Frank. You stare into his cold, dull blue eyes, see the close contours of the professional killer's face, as he calmly looks upon the boy. "What are you we going to do with this one, Frank?" And just as you think he is about to be spared, Frank replies, "now that you've called me by name...". As he holds the gun, there is a sad, yet gleeful little smile on his face. He shoots. Brutal. Awesome.

And yet, as incredible as it is now, it was even more impressive back in 1968. Henry Fonda was one of the most beloved actors in Hollywood, and had spent three decades playing positive, morally righteous characters, including Tom Joad in "The Grapes of Wrath" and Juror #7 in "Twelve Angry Men". And here, not only is he introduced as the villain, but he calmly kills a little boy in his first scene. In the freaking 60s. Fantastic.

#5 KIMaster, Nov 26, 2010
  6. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Pretty much any scene in Tombstone that features Doc Holliday. My favorite however is, "I have two guns; one for each of ya."

#6 Dr. Gonzo Esquire, Nov 26, 2010
  7. Noahh

Noahh
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

"Any man I see out there I'm gonna kill 'em. Any sumbitch takes a shot at me I'm not only gonna kill him, I'm gonna kill his wife, all his friends, burn his damn house down"

#7 Noahh, Nov 26, 2010
  8. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now for something very different.

As mesmerizing as the last scene I posted was, in many ways, this next one is even more awe-inspiring for me. It's just a man breaking up with a woman.

Of course, it's one thing when it's the eye-rolling, melodramatic bullshit that you typically see. It's quite another when it's completely genuine, has a tremendous build-up throughout the film, and is backed by a level of directing, writing, and acting rarely, if ever, attained in movie history.

By the way, I could have also posted Howard Beale's rants in this topic, too; the movie is just one legendary scene after another. However, this is the part in the movie where I really became entranced by the genius of what I was watching. Damn I love "Network".

#8 KIMaster, Nov 26, 2010
  9. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm a sucker for bloody gunfights at the end of movies, so here are two:

From Rambo 4...

And The Wild Bunch....(skip to 3:30 minutes in for the carnage).

#9 BakedBean, Nov 26, 2010
  10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I had to admit I did not see that coming the first time I watched this scene, now I relish it. I'll bet money Chater loves watching this scene too:

#10 Crown Royal, Nov 27, 2010
  11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can't link youtube videos but two of my favorite cool moments:

Silence of the Lambs: Hannibal "the cannibal" Lector picks the locks to his cuffs and slaps them on the guard. The whole escape sequence really is bad ass. Culminating in the infamous face peeling scene in the ambulance. Fucking awesome.

Predator: It's sad I can't remember the character who did it but it was right after one of the group members is killed and someone picks up the mini gun and starts blasting the fuck out of the forest. Not even hitting anything. But the long shot of man with Gatling gun blasting shit is awesome.

Die Hard: Of all the scenes in the original I always loved the scene where he's in the air vent and jump/falls to escape being seen. He falls a few floors and catches onto a duct with one arm. John Mctiernan just knows how to direct awesome action films.

Terminator 2 Judgment Day: My absolute favorite action movie off all time. Nothing is better than when Arnold walks over the back of a speeding pick up truck, onto a speeding semi full of liquid nitrogen, and starts to unload with an M16 point blank into the T-1000's face. This was all done with stunt actors, no CGI. Fucking classic.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Thats probably in my top 5 favorites also.

And Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross:

#12 Juice, Nov 27, 2010
  13. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of my favorite movie scenes. Also apparently the entire thing was ad-libbed by Busey

#13 john_b, Nov 27, 2010
  14. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another great one, the Sicilians story from True Romance.

#14 john_b, Nov 27, 2010
  15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Why not?

#15 Crown Royal, Nov 27, 2010
  16. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yeah Charlie

#16 hoju, Nov 27, 2010
  17. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

#17 Dr. Gonzo Esquire, Nov 28, 2010
  18. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My favorite opening to any film ever; I've seen it dozens of times, and still crack up laughing every time. Something about the vocal intonation and facial expressions is too much, especially at the "and then you feel SHAME" line. Simply awesome. George Roy Hill is such an underrated genius.

#18 KIMaster, Nov 28, 2010
  19. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

sorry KImaster.

I loved the fight leading into this scene when Maximus just kills everyone.

If you like Westerns this is one of the best most realistic shootouts you can find.

#19 Mike Ness, Nov 28, 2010
  20. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Gives me goose bumps every goddamn time.

#20 Dread, Nov 29, 2010