Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Controversial Opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I bet you've come out of a few called MeatSpace though.

2. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm nothing if not opinionated, but I'll limit it to two:

I think the Elephants and Jackasses thread, and to a lesser extent the But Seriously thread, was a terrible idea. These threads have alienated a significant number of members, and have opened the board to one of the worst aspects of the internet - people arguing with strangers, trying to convince them that their opinion is the right opinion. Granted, most of you are better informed and more eloquent than the average internet poster/commenter, but I still see some remarkable bullshit in those threads. A little advice - when you politicize scientific facts you just look like a moron.

I think voting rights should be restricted in some fashion based on intellectual capacity. Here's an example - someone on my Facebook feed recently posted that their son is 18 and is now a registered voter. This kid is mentally disabled (or mentally challenged or whatever the fuck we're calling it now) and has the intellectual capacity of a 10 year old, at best. So now he can theoretically vote, which is completely absurd, but to make things worse, his father, who posted this information is very political - so now he essentially has two votes. I know damn well that his father will tell him to vote for the candidate of dad's choice. Not that this doesn't happen in certain marital relationships, but this poor kid cant even form his own informed opinion. I absolutely believe that to vote you should have to pass a general citizenship test and a cognitive test.

Oh wait, one more because I can't help myself.

Oriental. I've been told it refers to furniture and rugs, not as a descriptor for people. People are called Asian. What a load of horseshit. Are you seriously telling me that a Pakistani and Japanese person are the same thing. and that they don't mind being lumped together as Asian? Bullshit. "Sorry folks, the liberal word police have decided that all 5 billion of you are interchangeable and identity less." At least Oriental distinguishes eastern and southeastern Asians form south Asian and central Asians.

#102 Misanthropic, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  3. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been beating that drum for years. Asia is the biggest and most populated continent, you want to lump all of those people with that term? Isn't that a bit insulting to people from non-slanty-eyed countries?

What's more is that NO ONE has been able to tell me WHY "oriental" is supposed to be insulting. It was still an acceptable term when I was a kid (early '80s), but once I got to the 6th grade, my English teacher called me out for using it, saying that it wasn't "politically correct."

4. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For all of those calling out for blood I give you Calico Storico.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

That’s the scoring plays from a game. Seems pretty easy to figure out the rules.

A point for a point blank goal, half a point for a toss in from distance. Each team has guys who try to take opposing players to the ground and pin them there to keep them from playing. Whomever has the ball, you try to murder that person.

It’s like a regulated version of Smear the Queer.