Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Computers and education

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D26, May 6, 2014.

1. HenryAllenVenture

HenryAllenVenture
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have done a lot of lurking, but this is a topic I can add my two cents to. I am finishing up my 4th year of teaching. After my 3rd year I moved from a solidly middle class high school in the northern suburbs to a VERY low income area of southwest Atlanta. The move was mostly spurred by the football coaching side of my job, but if you know anything about Atlanta you know that Atlanta Public Schools, especially in that area of the city, is a complete clusterfuck (but surprise, surprise, we have a very good football team).

I completely understand the frustrations that D26 is having with the faculty. At the school I previously taught the administration made a concerted effort to hire young teachers, and to encourage those teachers to try new things. During my second and third year another teacher and I completely revamped our curriculum for Tenth Grade, with the administration even finding ways to pay us for the extra time we worked.

At my current school there are a lot of older teachers. They don't want to change a damn thing. We are in the process of moving to a cloud database of tests and data (which would get us away from Scantron sheets). I love the system because the data is a lot easier to read and implement after benchmark tests. My fellow 9th grade teachers were not enthusiastic, but they agreed to try it out if I did all the work the first time. After creating the tests (which is a solid 4-6 hours of work for a good 60 question test) all they had to do was print out their answer sheets from a pdf that the system automatically generated. None of them could do it because they couldn't figure out how to turn off their popup blocker. After that they refused to use it for the rest of the year because "It doesn't work for me." Normally I would just say fuck it and do it myself, but we have to use the same format for our data presentations to the administration (which occur every five weeks) so we all have to do the same thing. It is beyond frustrating.

I realize that might be confusing to non-teachers, so let me know if anybody has any questions. I have lots of stories about what it's like to work in the ghetto.