Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Community Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Roxanne, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This thread didn't get a whole lot of traction last year, but it deserves it.

Anyone else watch the premiere?

2. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Definite foreshadowing in that delightful opening musical number that Jeff and Annie are going to get it on.

Also, I'm somehow already even more in love with Chang already. He'll be hilarious as the new security guard.

3. shauncorleone

shauncorleone
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I misread Goodman's role in a Season 3 preview and thought he was Vice Dean and Air Conditioning Repairman. The reality is much better and excellently executed.

So is Abed's Cougartown obsession a thing now?

4. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's been a thing for a while. But clearly is being usurped by Inspector Spacetime.

5. dan ruckus

dan ruckus
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

That last episode was probably one of the best they have produced and certainly put Community head and shoulders above any other NBC Thursday show (and in my opinion by far the funniest show on tv right now, even better than Curb and Archer).

I have a weird feeling that the end of Cougarton Abbey is supposed to be some weird foreshadowing for whatever they are building towards. Obviously the show will not be produced past a 4th season as it isn't nearly popular enough, they are getting even less money to produce it (as meta-joked in the opening song), and there's no way Dan Harmon would even want to string it out a la The Office where it runs waaaaay past its course. I would not be surprised if this show eventually ends with them all dying in the school somehow.

And yes, Jeff and Annie are definitely boning this year.

6. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know how they would continue the show past four years anyway. It's based around them being in community college, and if they don't have that, then...what?

I would find it hilarious but very sad if they all drank hemlock and died in the last episode.

7. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only way I could think of them extending it further is if something happened to Greendale that invalidated all of their class credits. Like when they almost lost their Spanish credits due to Chang not being a licensed teacher, but on a much wider scale. I don't see them doing that though. Dan Harmon seems like he has enough sense not too drag things out. Unlike the folks on The Office who feel compelled to resurrect the corpse and have it shamble onward another season.

It could be a bit of a stretch, but the drinking hemlock almost seemed like a nod to Blackadder, especially Blackadder Goes Forth, which had a similar downer ending. Again, probably a stretch, that's just where my mind went.

My favorite quote so far might be:

"Monkey knock-out gas! Now that's the kind of grounded sensible thinking that I want to see this year"

And the scene with Jeff in the air vents hallucinating is one of those rare moments that made watching 2001: A Space Odyssey so very worthwhile.

Attached Files:

8. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Having not had the awesome fortune of knowing anyone well enough that not only they went to community college but I discussed it in depth with them- you gotta be shitting me, there is no way community colleges take 4yrs?

9. pterodactyl

pterodactyl
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Each season/year has been roughly the equivalent of a semester, i think, so if they follow a real life timeline it should be ending after the 4th year.

10. dan ruckus

dan ruckus
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Nah, each season has equaled 2 semesters so they have all been there for 2 years already. Obviously you can't go pitch a network show that has a maximum life of 2 seasons so they have taken that liberty. Although I think that might be another joke that it actually does take 4 years to get a degree from Greendale.

Also keep in mind that Annie would now be 20 years old so it won't be as weird that Jeff (around 30 years old) will be banging the shit out of her this season.

Side note: I went to community college and it took me 3 years to graduate. Although that was due to not being able to come up with the dough each semester so I stayed part time for 3 years and ended up paying more than I would have if I just took out some loans, but fuck that, I refused to be in debt to a community college that was built in between a tractor store and an abandoned super market.

11. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

No one on the show has acknowledged impending graduation or even being a first-year or second-year student, etc. I think they are just glassing over that kind of timeline.

12. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was hoping that Prof. Cligoris' only method of solving the dual Annie problem was a threesome. With me. Somehow.

13. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The whole Earth 1 v. Earth 2 and the Georgian accent (despite knowing all about Georgia) had me rolling. Troy and Abed are the best supporting characters ever.

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I predict a loss and re-accrededation for greendale that wipes out all their credits and makes them start from zero.

15. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I doubt it. Dan Harmon doesn't seem like the type to drag things out.

16. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks like we were on the same wavelength there. Professor Cligoris is fucking hilarious, by the way. The way he whispers "We did it" to his pendant of the Model UN founder is just perfect.

17. BeCoolBitch_BeCool

BeCoolBitch_BeCool
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

So we're just going to sit here and pretend last night's awesome episode didn't happen?

I was seriously concerned about the lack of quality this season. But the alternate timelines episode made me excited again.

Here is somebody's interesting / excessively nerdy analysis from last night's episode that suggests that the timeline with Jeff getting the pizza wasn't the real one.
    source

And Dan Harmon's response:
    source

18. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Community takes things so much to the next level that I would assume that it happened. Or didn't happen. I don't know.

Community took the risk of having a Dungeons and Dragons episode, and "My dinner with Abed". Who the fuck has seen "My Dinner with Andre" and watches Thursday prime time TV on NBC? (Aside from hipsters who suddenly latched onto the movie)((have hipsters latched onto that movie?))

They aren't beyond fucking with the audience.

19. BeCoolBitch_BeCool

BeCoolBitch_BeCool
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I think combined with the "alternate worlds" idea they were toying around with in the mock UN episode, there's a lot of opportunity to go pretty abstract. They've already managed to parody or pay homage to just about every genre or trope. I would be pretty satisfied if they went completely absurdist for another season or two and then called it quits.

20. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded