Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Come Back To My Place and Check Out My Red, Hard....Wheat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like how you missed the entire point of my post. I advocating the same thing Nettdata and you are, a minimal level of preparedness and it doesnt take much for things to go bad. I didn't even suggest that they needed to "stock up lots of food" (just saying they probably wish they had in light of the events. Their ability to do so in the first place isnt even relevant to my point in that paragraph). A quick perusal of wikipedia suggest that the Libyans have a very high standard of living compared to the surrounding countries in turmoil. Their revolution is more about a brutal dictators actions than economic reasons. But the uprising did cut off the normal flow of food and goods, which is my entire point, plus they have to deal with violence from various sources. Violent revolutions and military fighting on our soil is where the Western/US disconnect comes from.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

My parent's are good friends with a family who were caught in the big ice storm in Quebec a few years ago.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_ice_storm_of_1998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Amer ... rm_of_1998</a>

That, more than anything, really showed just how real shit can get in a hurry. They're a normal family; he's a lawyer, she's a proprietor of a used book store. Within a few days, they were in a serious survival situation.

If it weren't for a distant family member loading up a u-haul trailer with food, a generator, and a wood stove and driving it to them, they would have been seriously screwed. They basically cut a hole in their kitchen wall and installed a wood stove to give them heat.

The other option they had was to pack up what they could and move out until power was restored. As it was, it took 5 weeks for the power to come back.

They had another family from next door move in with them as they didn't have the means to deal on their own.

One thing that really hit them was just how hard it is to simply survive when you don't have some modern conveniences. Heat and water took a lot of their time; cutting up firewood and boiling snow or refilling water containers.

And the almost instant paranoia was a real surprise to them. At first everyone had a "help thy neighbour" attitude, but then some people started looting and stealing shit, and things became a bit more serious. The father said he had to turn people away from their door twice because they were basically scoping out their place. He was very glad to have a shotgun, and it was kept close at hand. They even had a little family talk about it, and had a simple training session for everyone. Never had to use it, but they were glad it was there nonetheless.

So yeah, I don't believe in going overboard on preparations or anything, but most people are way too unprepared, if you ask me.

3. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went without cable, internet and water for two days, I was ready to breakdown in tears and eat my own shit by the end of it.

I don't think I'll ever get in a serious car accident and if I do I doubt I'll do anywhere near enough damage to justify paying the premiums my whole life, but I still have car insurance.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

But would you if it weren't required by law?

How many people do you think would have insurance if it wasn't required by law?

For that matter, how many people actually have fire/flood/household/renters insurance now?

EDIT: Created a new thread about insurance.

5. LatinGroove

LatinGroove
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seriously? You're going to give me some bullshit about being in a sinking ship and then in the same breath tell me I'm being paranoid?

I've got three fucking tools on me to bust open a wind shield (one of which can be used to get out of an airplane) to get out two of which are in my pocket within immediate reach, not to mention if I had my steel toe boots on, I'd have four. Let's not even make an issue of me being brown (Mexican, Italian and Spanish) and being able to swim.

Please, let's be realistic here. Of all the 3,000 plus members here on this board, less than 5 percent of the people here would be able to handle going without food for 72 hours.

Attached Files:

6. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I am being realistic. To my knowledge humans can go for a couple weeks without food, so what exactly are you suggesting? That after 72 hours most people are just going to keel over? That's just ridiculous. Now if you're saying that "wouldn't be able to handle" means that after 72 hours most people would start to do crazy shit in order to get food I can believe that. I was just commenting that under the conditions outlined in Netdaddy's scenario I think most people would make it through.

7. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Humans can go much longer than that. The IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands went 66 days. And that's with his jailers putting a plate of fresh food in front of him constantly.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I didn't take his post so literally, rather like people weren't prepared for 72 hours.

9. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

If all I had to eat was Irish food, I could go longer than 66 days. Just saying.

10. LatinGroove

LatinGroove
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't mean it in a literal sense. The average human body can go roughly three weeks without food in the literal sense. The rules of threes is fairly accurate.

What I meant was most people would not go 72 hours without food without doing some seriously crazy shit. Have you not seen the lineup of people and what they do on Black Friday? A pregnant woman was knocked down and a 34 for year old employee died recently for example in one incident. Can you imagine if there was a legitimate national emergency?

11. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Yeah, it's disgustingly pathetic. I mean it's not even about being prepared at that point but just keeping your fucking head on straight and acting calmly and rationally. Fuck, even if those idiots were prepared they'd probably still panic and get themselves fucked anyway.

12. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think those that have lost weight for a competition of some sort (wrestling, for me) will have an edge in a situation like this. You aren't just on a tight diet (similar to what a serious ration would be like) and still have to perform physically and mentally under pressure and in competition. It's not something worth trying just for the sake of it (as it is not healthy and sucks balls), but when it comes down to a rationing under pressure situation... those with experience will adapt much faster.

13. manbehindthecurtain

manbehindthecurtain
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I thought about this a bit during the blizzard in Chicago this winter when suburbanites were practically throwing each other under the wheels of trains at union station to get the fuck out of the city when it initially started snowing.

I live in a garden unit apartment with windows that could get kicked in in a heartbeat by anyone determined enough. My wife and I eat out 75% of our meals. We have maybe a few cans of beans and tomatoes.

I think a pandemic would be different from an attack or weather event because if you're not immune you're just dead anyway.

In a city like Chicago, where only bad guys have guns anyway, I think you have to get out before things really break down. I'd pack up some cat food for us to eat, leave the doors and windows wide open, say a tearful goodbye to our cats, and try to walk southwest, avoiding the ghettos in the southside if possible. Maybe cut my wife's hair and dress her in my clothes.

We would be totally fucked either way. Maybe would have a chance squatting in an empty condo off of street level somewhere for awhile, but eventually the city would just burn.

14. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#94 katokoch, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  15. LatinGroove

LatinGroove
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I thought some of you guys might be interested in seeing a comment posted about the Potassium Iodide tablets everyone is in a frenzy to buy.

Imagine that multiplied by millions of people.