Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Come Back To My Place and Check Out My Red, Hard....Wheat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

You can also buy untreated gas in 55 gallon drums. We do that for racing, in a variety of octanes.

It'll last way longer than treated gas with the additives.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Gasoline in a plastic tank begins to breaks down in about 90 - 100 days. Gas with the additives in a gas station is bad after 2 years. After trying to use it your engine and fuel injection will be damaged beyond repair.

If you come across old gas, it can be re-refined (sort of) but it won't be nearly as
    efficient as it originally was.

3. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You don't need to hoard water. If you know where to look, there is water everywhere. Even if the water supply was completely shut off, I could get a minimum of 30 gallons of potable, ready-to-drink water from every house in town. It's a matter of knowing where that water is located (which I'm not going to share) and how to extract it.

Most people don't know you can also use bleach to purify water. Too much or too little and you're screwed, though.

4. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Y'know... in some cases that might not be a bad thing. Natural selection.

5. jrczj

jrczj
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Is this guy really that paranoid that other people are going to find out there is a large supply of water in hot water tanks?

6. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not that it really matters. Most people here don't seem to care too much about becoming prepared. They'll forget about it by the time they see the next Justin Beiber video.

See, if something like this ever happens, I'm pretty sure there won't be the intarwebs, at least in the initial stages so people won't be able to research this stuff after the fact. Most people wouldn't think to look in the water heater or even know that it's potable.

7. jrczj

jrczj
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

At least I didn't reveal how to dilute water with Clorox.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I now feel like everyone on the board is basically Bert from Tremors. I like it.

9. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Yeah, this is my thought. You guys aren't having a hypothetical conversation - you really expect this shit to happen? And you spend your time getting prepared so that when civilization ends abruptly due to some kind of event or disaster you will survive? Really? My god, that's paranoid.

I'm sure everyone is going to lambaste me for being the silly naive chick, but I figure odds are that none of this shit will ever happen.

*knock on wood*

10. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have you already forgotten how much medication the loopy bastards around here admitted to being on last "how fucked up are you" thread? This all comes as no surprise.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly the I don't think LatinGrooves prepper kit is that outrageous, actually a good idea, even if it's only use would be some localized natural disaster ala Katrina or some huge snowstorm. I think some of the zombie plans are kind of fanciful and more on par with entertaining conversations like what you'd do if you ever won the lottery. Maybe we are too far removed from dangerous real world situations in the US/Wester World but I bet there are a shit ton of Libyans now that wish theyd have stock up or prepared to leave a fucking warzone city. And that shit is happening this very second.

Shit look at Katrina, the smart people planned to get the fuck out before hand, what people have, a week? The idiots who stayed weren't prepared and state/federal aid completely broke the fuck down. Im not saying everyone needs 4500 cans of pork'n'beans in their basement but having some sort of contingency plan seems reasonable. It doesn't take WWIII or an asteroid strike for things to go bad....

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I would love to see how many people would not be able to handle a week without modern conveniences.

Let's say you lose hydro and power for a week. Do you have stuff on hand to survive?

I remember a few years ago when the ATM's and point of sale systems in BC went down for a night due to some big computer glitch. People were freaking out because (a) they had no cash on them, only debit/credit cards and the banks were all closed and (b) they had no food at home. The end result was they couldn't buy food on the way home from work, and were fucked.

I wish I could say it was only a few people, but there were wide-eyed people everywhere on the streets as they realized that they were going hungry for a night.

I know I had 2 neighbours over for dinner because they didn't have food in their apartments.

Not saying people should prepare for the zombie takeover, but they should seriously have stuff on hand to deal with 3-5 days of being on your own without access to food or water.

13. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My neighbours have 3 cats and 2 small dogs between them, I have a spit roast attachment for my BBQ and a .22. Food wouldn't be a problem for at least a week.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Have you learned nothing from Chinese food?

You'll be hungry again in an hour.

15. dewercs

dewercs
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People in general don't really care about odds, if they did they would not play the lottery.

I don't play the lottery but I am prepared for the unexpected.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Lotteries are just a tax on people that don't know math.

17. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The neighbours also have childrens.

18. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, I don't except seriously bad shit to happen, but I recognize that it might happen. If bad shit happens, I'd like it to inconvenience me and the people around me as little as possible.
    Depends what disaster. I'm at college currently, I have no preparations beyond what is in my head. At home, there's at least enough food for a week, and enough water in the pool for the same amount of time.
    Odds are good that the USA and Canada are going to keep on being groovy places for us to live in, at least for the rest of our(TiB members) lives. However, there have been instances where things have not been so groovy. Is there a good reason to not be prepared for a very bad week?

You seem to have two issues: you're using "when", instead of "if", and you're assuming "the end of the world as we know it", instead of "a hurricane fucked up a nearby city" or "a blackout struck the area, and power won't be restored for a few days" or "JESUS CHRIST A BEAR".

19. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I wonder: how many Libyans do you think even had enough food to give themselves and their family 3 square meals per day? I'm guessing it was a relatively small percentage. How do you expect people to stock up weeks' worth of food when they don't even have any extra sitting around in the first place? I don't want to be mean-spirited, but I like how in the same sentence you wrote "maybe we are too far removed from dangerous real-world situations" and suggested that poor people in the third world need to stock up lots of food for the future.

Like nettdata said, having enough on hand to survive when the power goes out for a few days is pretty reasonable. Hell, there are parts of the country where doing so is a fact of life - every few months, I hear it casually mentioned in the news about a power outage in a certain area that results in rural areas going without power for several days. But as for the hardcore stuff where people plan to survive for years on end and hunker down preparing to shoot anything that moves when everything goes to shit - it makes me wonder. If things get that bad, what is going to be left to survive for? My girlfriend, for example, would like a job that allows her to take vacation over the holidays to visit her parents. Except her parents don't celebrate the holidays, keep the house just warm enough so the pipes don't burst, and criticize the fuck out of everything she does with her life. Why go to all that effort just to be miserable?

Interesting tidbit: if you all remember that big east coast power outage a few years ago (my family managed to keep cooking food by using the propane stove on the tent trailer) a local pizza chain thereafter made franchises build back-up generator systems so that they'd be able to stay open in the event of a power outage. It was a damn expensive operation, apparently: at least 10K per franchise, and it was forced upon them by higher up. The funny part? As per designs from higher up, the cash register wasn't hooked up to the generator.

20. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I'm probably the most unprepared person in the world and even I could make it a fucking week in this scenario. There's enough water in my water heater and pipes to get me through a week and I've got a lot of blankets so I'm not going to freeze to death. I have barely any food in my house right now but I could stand to lose a few pounds anyway. Not having lights would suck but I have flashlights and enough batteries to use them for more than just emergencies. Certainly isn't going to be a very comfortable week but it'd take a lot more to kill me than that.