Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Collapse: The Climate Change Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

sneks

2. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I guess this is kinda in the realm with other environmental advancements. I like this idea even more than cremation, body composting. I don't know what the carbon numbers are for cremation, I wonder if anyone has even looked into it. We need to stop putting people in the ground and letting them occupy a little piece of our planet forever.

Edit: I looked it up, it's an average of 534 pounds of CO2 per cremation. Cremation in the US alone amounts to 360,000 metric tons per year.

https://www.wmtw.com/article/body-c...remation/37638274?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot#

3. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I've looked into those things where they put your body into a pod to serve as nutrients for a tree or whatever, but what always stopped me was that knowing my luck the tree would get hit by lightning and fall over onto my house or wife or start a wildfire or something

4. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of increasing natural disasters...

Tropical storm Rose is out there. That means the next storm will carry the same name as our favorite accident prone idiot. Any predictions on how bad and where hurricane Sam will be? I think this connection will be something special and horrific.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

awwww, how cute you remembered my name!!!

If it's anything like me, it'll be small, fast, and loud as hell.

6. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, it is my kid's name, too. And if the storm is anything like him it will break Florida off and throw it like a boomerang.

7. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I haven't dug into it too much to understand if this is a coincidence or a trend with a scientific explanation, but I read that there seems to be a trend with how the super high cat, powerful storms develop. They tend to sneak in and then develop rapidly, less than 72hrs usually. This creates a dangerous situation as there are rules by the interstate system (dot??) About calling mandatory evacs with minimum 72hrs notice to not create a dangerous situation with evacuees trapped on the road. That's basically what happened with Ida and New Orleans.

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You are sort of correct.

This is the trend in the Gulf. In the open Atlantic, less so.

Dunno about the mandatory evacuation thing, I'm curious on the source. My understanding is it's not a rule, per se, because.the.governor can evacuate at any point. They try not to within a few hours of landfall, so people don't get stranded on the highways.

The 72 hour window is pretty important, because within that, options are limited and outside.of it there's a lot of uncertainty on what.the storm will do.

The predictions get solid 72 hours away from landfall.

What usually stumps evac plans are gas stations running out, traffic from cities clogging things up and a few accidents that take hours to clear. Also no one takes public or group transport to evacuate.

10. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

https://www.anthropocenemagazine.or...ual-but-more-ecofriendly-alternative-to-dams/

That came across my news feed this morning. I think it is quite possibly the dumbest energy production idea I've ever heard.

Filling trucks with water, sending them down a mountain, charging a battery with regenerative braking, swapping for a low battery at the bottom and sending it back up the hill with no water to repeat the process.

And this writer calls it feasible. There is no way this beats hydroelectric dams. It simply moves environmental impacts and to another area, places where trucks are manufactured, batteries are manufactured, materials to build them are mined. It adds needless complexity and even more energy losses to additional energy conversion processes.

With ideas like this, we're fuckin doomed.

11. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is especially dumb since you can replace large dams with a series of smaller dams for less environmental impact, equivalent energy production and water distribution. I dug into the sourcing for this report, and I'm kinda dumbfounded that someone would fund such a stupid study.

12. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This idea is right up there with "have an electric motor spinning a bigger generator that powers the electric motor so you can use the excess energy".

You looked deeper, I didn't, do you know if there was even an engineer involved at any point during the study?

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Sounds more like a jobs program.

14. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nope, It was all academics as far as I can tell. It was funded by the Brazilian National Agency for Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels. Just a weird and bad study all around.

15. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They need to look up the definition of feasible. This does not meet the definition.

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The paper seems to be relying extremely heavily on the idea that there are pre-existing trucking routes that carry loads uphill and then return empty that they can piggyback onto. It's a niche of a niche of a niche, and even then it probably won't be of much benefit.

17. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Have y'all heard of marine cloud brightening? I just read the term and am learning about it now. A summary of the concept from Wikipedia:

There are some speedbumps. From this scholarly article:

This technique would be a more localized effect, but could be used to cool the earth, especially in the melting Arctic caps that are part of a cascade of events that will cause massive ocean die offs and acidification.

If we hurry.... Between this and some of the breakthroughs with nuclear fission... maybe mankind stands a chance to not totally die off en masse.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sooooo we can keep our ICE then?

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

What?