Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Coach Sequel

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by AFHokie, Mar 27, 2015.

1. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

NBC has given a straight-to-series 13-episode order to Coach, with original star Craig T. Nelson on board to reprise his role

With increasing numbers of movie reboots, it was only a matter of time before it happened with a network TV show; though this isn't a reboot as much as a sequel. Is Hollywood running out of ideas?

"A sequel to the original series, the new Coach will be set in present day, picking up 18 years after the ABC sitcom went off the air after nine seasons. Coach Hayden Fox (Nelson) — now retired from coaching — is called back to become assistant coach to his own grown son, who is the new head coach at an Ivy league school in Pennsylvania that is just starting up a new team. Though the original series focused on Fox’s relationship with his college-age daughter, towards the end of the show he and his wife adopted a son who will grow up to follow in his father’s footsteps. Kemp and Nelson are executive producing the comedy, which, like the original, will be multi-camera. No other talent is attached."

Focus: Do you think audiences will tune back in? Will you tune back in? What other TV shows would you like to see pick up where they ended?

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Bunch of fucking network hacks that can't think of an original story line if they tried. If they could, they wouldn't be on network TV.

The only real "comeback" shows I'm looking forward to are the X-Files and Twin Peaks.

A couple of shows have managed to pull it off, like the new BBC remake of Sherlock, but they are and will be the exception and not the rule.

3. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I haven't watched anything on network tv in forever, all of it is shit.

Actually I just thought of the exception, the last man on earth so far has been a good show. Other than that it's all shit.

They have nine CSI shows and people watch them religiously, who are these assholes?

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

WHO ARE THEY? Walk outside and trip over them. The Lowest Common Denominator is the powered majority now. That's why we have History Channel programs about hunting ghosts and aliens teaching Egyptians agriculture. Every network TV show is some tired cop melodrama that takes place in a police station that looks like the Scientology HQ. We have reality shows about peole who dig through other people's trash for antiques.

People on this board aren't stupid, so we often forget that we are surrounded by stupid people who watch programs geared for youth, clutch their pearls while drooling over Bones and NCIS and mindlessly believe network news. Welcome to the New Age Of Recycled Tripe.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Oh all the shows to reboot... they pick Coach?

I'll echo that I'm pumped for the X-Files reboot. Should be interesting how they address the alien invasion that was supposed to happen in 2012. Never saw Twin Peaks, is it worth checking out?

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's a solid 9/10 on IMDB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Peaks

They kind of had to squash the story a bit when ABC stuck their fingers into it and Lynch got pissed... they did things like force them to reveal who the killer was... basically doing a ton of things that were contrary to David Lynch's style. Go figure.

At least the new series is being done by Lynch and Frost again, and it's on Showtime.

It's weird, but it's fucking awesome.

Can't wait for 2016.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Twin Peaks is one of the most brilliant shows ever made. Its absolutely etched with David Lynch's bizarre characters, red herring plot points and nightmarish dream logic. "Original" does not even begin to describe it. Twin Peaks is only like Twin Peaks, nothing else. It was a crazy sensation (a one-season mini series) and not for all tastes, but if you're tuned to it then its rewards are deep, plentiful and it demands multiple viewings. A masterpiece of network television.

The prequel movie sucked. It was also by Lynch and is his worst film.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

They actually did 2 seasons; 8 episodes in the first "mini-season", and 22 episodes in the 2nd season.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Ah. I was a teen when I watch it but remember it very well. The tall man. The cherry pie. Black Lodge. I was already a huge Lynch fan even at that age since he did Eraserhead, The Elephant Man and Blue Velvet. I thought Dune sucked, but apparently I'm far from alone on that opinion.

A lot of people don't know he directed a wonderful and warm Disney movie called The Straight Story. You could swear he was channeling Hemingway, utterly unlike everything he's done. And it might be his best movie.

The remake of Twin Peaks can only be awesomeness, because only the mind of Lynch could possibly remake it.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

M-O-O-N that spells retarded reboots. Mother fucking Coach?

I agree The X Files is cool. Ill need to binge that and Twin Peaks.

How the fuck has Deadwood not been brought back yet FUUUUUUUUUUCK!

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Don't remind me. That tease a while back was painful, there is no show that I want to see (or deserves more to be) finished.

So let me tell you what actually did happen in real life: The town almost completely burns down (which they foreshadowed with the fireman's wagon at the end of season three) and Swerengen, Saul Starr and Bullock took charge in rebuilding it. Starr became a very successful and wealthy businessman as did Swearengen with his new "Gem Theatre" which raked in $5000 a NIGHT. Swearengen would eventually die penniless on the streets of Denver while Bullock died horribly of Colon Cancer.

Did you guys also know the real Sherriff Bullock also was the man responsible for turning Yellowstone into a protected National Park? The more you know.

"You best not be looking THAT way..at ME."
    [​IMG]

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

This was arguably the most incredible acting I've ever seen... made me fucking cringe, but I'll be damned if I could look away.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The last ten seconds particularly suck the life out of me. So much pain and emotion and finally... it fucking ends. That wasn't acting, it couldn't be. It HAD to be real.

Yu guys HAVE to watch this. It's a fucking knockout. My GOD I'm fucking dying here:

#13 Crown Royal, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I saw that reel a while ago, that dude is talented. The whole kidney stones storyline exemplifies why the show, and HBO, stand out as far as tv series. They had the main fucking character of their show out of commission for pert near three episodes, a third of a season. Do you really think Mad Men or Breaking Bad could have kept afloat that long with their side stories while their main characters were incapacitated?

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fucking hell.

I just heard that Lynch has removed himself from the project, citing "lack of proper budget to do the script the way he thinks it should be done".

Hopefully it's just a negotiation tactic, but it has been almost 1.5 years in the works.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If that's true, Showtime are idiots. As much shit as networks, cable or otherwise, put out right now, to fail to back up the truck for an established (albeit quirky) brand, is very shortsighted.