Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Chili

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Clutch, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love chili because it basically comes down to throwing some basic ingredients into a pot and then fucking with it until you're happy with the result. I just finished up a batch that will probably be lunch for the next two weeks. Here's what I did:

• Ground Meat (I used a pound each of ground chicken and chorizo sausage)
    • diced onions (I used one red and one white onion)
    • minced garlic (I used ~one bulb)
    • diced peppers (I used 1 cup green peppers, but hot peppers would also work)
    • diced tomatoes (I used two cans of fire-roasted tomatoes)
    • beans (I used canned black beans)
    • a can of sliced mushrooms
    • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    I put all of that into the slow cooker and over the next 8 hours fiddled with it by adding chili powder, seasoned salt, cumin, cayenne, smoked paprika, and black pepper until I was happy with it.

2. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

do you do anything to increase the liquid? My plan is to cook the meat, de-glaze the pan, then sweat the onions and garlic in there, then toss it all in the crock pot for 8 hours with whatever ingredients I like from this thread. Not sure if I wanna add tomato paste and beef broth or not.

3. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You will be surprised how much water comes out of the vegetables. I started out with no liquid beyond what came from the cans of mushrooms and beans and ended up with a soup that almost overran my crock pot.

The beautiful part of the slow cooker is that it basically exists to let flavors become friends while the meat is becoming delicious.

#3 Clutch, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Truth. A ton of liquid comes out of the veges.

My recipe, it shares a lot of the same ingredients to yours. Here's how I made mine last week.
    • 1lb Ground meat of some kind
    • head of celery
    • several peppers
    • ~1lb tomatoes (or plain sauce), sometimes a can (or fresh) of diced, peeled tomatoes
    • a giant or 2 regular yellow onions
    • several (like 6 or so) cloves of garlic
    • several big handfulls of dried hot peppers
    • 1.5 lb dried pinto beans
    • vinegar, dash of sugar, salt, bay leaves
    Soak the pintos overnight. Dump the water they are in and rinse again before you use them the next day.

The next day I start with the dried hot peppers (I've been using birds eye chilis since I have them on hand. Not too hot but you get a zip and that red chili color) in a small pot of water with a huge glug of apple cider vinegar and a big dash of salt. I let it cook covered for about an hour to get the peppers nice and soft then use an immersion blender to chop them up in the water. Let that cook another 30min-1hr. Then I use a food mill to get the solids and seeds out. I also use food mill on the tomatoes to include with the chili base, which basically turns the tomatoes to a sauce.

Cook the pinto beans with your chili sauce base, the liquified chilis and tomatoes. I cook for about an hour, hour and a half. The beans don't have to be super soft because you''ll cook them longer with all the other ingredients.

Then add your chopped celery, chopped peppers, chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, browned meat, dash of sugar. Salt it really well. Bay leaf it. Let it simmer all day....6 hrs is good. It's always better the next day.

The celery especially releases a lot of liquid. This recipe does result in a sugar chunky chili though. I usually use ground turkey to make my chili and I've thrown browned bacon in there too. This last time I used a bunch of peppers from the garden including different colored bell peppers and jalapenos. I used 8 roma tomatoes for the sauce part so not sure how much that equates to in lbs. I did use a can of diced tomatoes because I didn't feel like peeling mine.

Yep, this is an all day recipe....but then you have chili for the next week, or enough to freeze. We usually eat all of ours. It's some good shit.

I'm actually eating the last of it for lunch today. Heres my bowl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some people think it ruins the dish but man do I love a good dollop of sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt) and extra sharp cheddar on top.

#4 bewildered, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Made the chili using largely the info I gathered from here. Came out fucking killer. My farts are so bad even the dogs are looking at me funky.

• 2 lbs grass-fed chili meat, browned with salt and pepper, strained then tossed into the crock pot
    • 1 head celery
    • 1 large white onion
    • 2 cloves elephant garlic (easier to peel and dice up than the regular-sized ones)
    • 2 large cans green chilies
    • 2 small cans tomato paste
    • a little beef broth, maybe quarter cup
    • some extra virgin olive oil
    • bay leaves (removed before serving)
    • 3 parts paprika (all seasoning is approx.)
    • 3 parts chili powder
    • 2 parts cumin
    • 1 part cayenne powder
    • 1 part allspice
    Crock pot on low for 7 hours. Meat was fall-apart tender. Only change I'd make is maybe carrots instead of celery next time. Tomato paste thickened up the gravy nicely and gave it that deep red color.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I made some chili with my garden peppers. I decided to simplify my previous method a bit and it was great.

Soaked about 1lb pinto beans overnight.

Next day drain and softly boil while covered with 1 small can of tomato paste, 3 dried guajillo peppers, seasoned with salt, black pepper, oregano, bay leaves. I would have added minced garlic here if I had it on hand but was out.

After the beans were visibly soft, about an hour, added about 1.5lb browned turkey, about half a head of celery, and peppers (about 8-10 large jalapenos, 3 Anaheim chili's), 1 can fire roasted tomatoes. Simmered for an hour, added more seasoning: salt, oregano, garlic and onion powder, cumin, paprika, thyme. Simmer a bit more, add seasonings as needed.

Turned out pretty good. Had a nice kick and allowed me to use up some peppers from the garden.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

This is pretty similar to how I make chili. The only difference is I haven't used celery or allspice. I usually throw in a few dashes of Chinese five spice instead. As for chili powder, I put in equal parts of regular chili powder and some ancho chili powder. I also throw in a few minced poblano peppers and a little brown sugar to offset the heat with some sweetness.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

With chili that meaty, how do you serve it? Like over rice, or with corn chips or something? Chili dogs? Cheese seems to be a given. I feel like the super meaty chilis are missing something to make them a complete meal. But, I grew up eating chili with beans so I am used to that style.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I don’t like beans whatsoever, but my wife does so I compromise and do a half can of kidney beans. As for the thickness from the meat, I usually make a big pot so my liquid amount is probably a bit more so I can feel like I’m eating chili and not bolognese.

I eat it with just cheese, but I’ve also put in crocks, put some crumbled honey cornbread on top and then some cheese on top of that and melt it under the broiler. For chili dogs, I put leftover chili in the blender and give a few spins so it smooths out a bit then heat it on the stove.

I take my chili very seriously.

10. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You put cinnamon and chocolate in it, then you eat it over spaghetti noodles with a pile of cheese on top. And sometimes raw onions or beans. With oyster crackers on the side.

11. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Isn't the spaghetti thing called Cincinnati chili?

Freaking never!

I approve of the onions and oyster crackers though.

12. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Frebis, I honestly can't tell if you're fucking with us or not.
    I can understand putting chili on spaghetti (I'm gonna have to try that soon.), but CINNAMON AND CHOCOLATE?

This reminds me of the time a guy told me that putting peanut butter and beans on pizza was the tits.

13. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Those are the primary things that differentiate Cincinnati style chili, though I'm pretty sure that its usually more cocoa powder than chocolate. I think that Skyline goes too heavy with the cinnamon, but I do like it when there is just barely enough there to notice but not enough to be able to tell what it is.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Coffee, cocoa/chocolate, and cinnamon are indeed flavours that will add some nice complexity to a chili... you just have to remember that not enough is added that it becomes the predominant flavour, but it definitely adds to the overall taste.