Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Charity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bundy Bear, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Late last year I decided to do Shave for a Cure this year, partly as an excuse to grow a beard but mostly due to having a few friends diagnosed with cancer during the year and my grandfather having dealt with Myeloma in the past.

On March 13th this year I'll be getting my head shaved as part of the fundraising efforts as well as turning up to work with pink hair the day before, if any of you guys have loose coins floating around that need a home feel free to donate some of them and I'll make sure I put up some photos of how rude my head is with no hair.

The funds raised go to providing support for those diagnosed with Leukaemia and other blood cancers as well as funding research into treatments. Here's the link to my page, any help would be awesome. http://my.leukaemiafoundation.org.au/mathewvanderaa

Alt Focus: Do you donate to charities, if so what makes you choose one over an other, if not, why not?

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Bump.

3. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Most of the time instead of handing out money, I donate a lot of time to our Moose lodge. We send a lot of money out into the community for events and charities where the money goes to the people who need it, not to pay for office expenses or a CEO’s salary.

When we met my wife was sponsoring a kid in Africa or some other country and I’m pretty sure we still do that. We’ve also contributed to those world fund things where you can sponsor a flock of chickens or a goat or something. It’s a good gift to do in someone’s name, at least my in-laws like it.

4. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Easy- disbursement rate.

The United Way is notorious for having a low disbursement rate. One of my buddies flies private for them. It’s a farce.

Don’t donate to administration.

5. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Smile.amazon.com

Easiest thing in the world, everyone should use it. Exact same as regular amazon, but if you go through there you can choose a charity to get a small portion of every (almost) purchase you make at no cost to you. Not a lot, but it’s free for the user and it does add up. I do the Honnold Foundation (rock climber Alex Honnold) which sets up solar in areas without electricity to get things like running water, they run with extremely low overhead. You can pick from popular charities or search for one.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yes to this.

We chose a private special needs school my niece attended for awhile. They were great with tiny classes and therapists who worked with kids daily. They helped my niece get up to speed so she could join the special needs classes in a regular public school.

I have also donated to various animal shelters and groups in the past. I try to pick smaller ones who I see do good work. I'm just a sucker for animals and hate how so many people mistreat them and discard them.

7. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I try to find groups who turn the money into something,for instance https://4ocean.com/ turn the plastic they pull out of the ocean into bracelets, buy a couple and give them to people as gifts, or another website I found you can donate planted trees as gifts for people.

8. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Indeed. Too many charities out there just throw money at an issue and expect it to resolve itself- see Zuck’s NJ donation.

Implementation is everything.