Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Charity and Donating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bundy Bear, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Most of us here are fairly forward thinking people and the majority of us here donate either time or resources in some way shape or form. I've recently come across an organisation called www.kiva.org who through the use of micro loans of as little as $25 provide people the opportunity to progress in life and help make the world a better place to live.

On their website you can form groups which you can attribute your donations to so I thought I'd see if forming a TiB group was something people would be interested in. Repayments of loans are at 96.8% and you can pick and choose who or what it is you want your loan to go to.

Focus: Are people interested in joining up? What are some of the ways in which you try to make the world a better place to live in?

Alt Focus: What charity or gimmick did you get sucked into as a kid that you look back on as an adult as ineffective?

Revengeofthenerds likes this.
  2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Focus: Its an interesting concept, but I could see it breaking down fast. I dont buy that people are actually giving microloans to the intended borrowers. Reading the fine print, it sounds like there are "intermediaries". What I think is probably happening is these intermediaries are third-party lending associations, probably in the jurisdiction of the borrower, that has already lent the money and then people are paying back that third-party, the third-party then lends this money to another borrower. I doubt the money you are donating is actually going to the person that pulled at your heart strings on the other end; they probably got theirs already. Otherwise it would be terribly inefficient from a business stand-point, but its a bit dishonest also.

Whatever, just my $0.02.

3. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alt. focus: I'm embarassing to admit this, but will for the sake of conversation. I got sucked into the collectibles market in my early 20's. Namely, fucking Beanie Babies bears.

I saw people snapping them up at outrageous prices and thought the price would only go up with time. Now I see bears people paid $20 or more for in flea market bins a buck apiece.

Interestingly, my vintage Star Wars stuff has tripled in price, but I collect that for enjoyment, not an investment.