Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can you hear me now? The Cell Phone Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Tuesday

Tuesday
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I should have specified, I'm currently not paying an even half of the bill, as I use fuck all in minutes every month. Total bill is like $165. If I do switch, I'm not sure which minute package we'd get, or if we'd split evenly.

Though, rumor mill has the iPhone coming to Verizon January 2011. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2001...ons_to_doubt_the_latest_rumors.html?tk=hp_blg

Maybe I'll swing by a Verizon and check out some of the latest Android phones, see how they are.

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, it's the same bill... and that's about the cheapest plan you'll get. AT&T's minutes roll over so if your monthly usage varies it could be worthwhile to do the cheaper minute plan and see if rollover will catch the months where you hit higher minute totals.

That rumor mill has been working for about 3 years now saying the same thing over and over again.

If you're happy with the Verizon service, that's probably where I'd head. No real point in switching to an inferior service unless there's something specific about the iPhone that Android won't do for you.

3. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4. fourtytwo

fourtytwo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

You could replace EVO with Galaxy S or Droid X, also. The hype behind the iPhone is so ridiculous. I wish other manufacturers put as much effort into the hype machine as Apple does -- or perhaps maybe that's why the iPhone has been two steps behind throughout its entire existence.

5. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

HTC Evo on Sprint - addendum

I discovered a pretty annoying quirk to the phone. It came with a bunch of pre-loaded apps (Peep, Nascar, Sprint TV), and you can't delete them by normal means. You can remove them from the home screen but you can't uninstall them / remove them from the app list. I imagine I could hook it to the PC and nose around the files, but I'm tentative to throw in any potential wrenches for right now.

6. Pow

Pow
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm mostly proud of myself of hacking my phone this much without breaking it, but this is what I've got running on my droid 2.2:

-Flash support
    -Hulu support
    -800 MHz overclock
    -Swype keyboard (root is not needed, but it's nice)
    -Wifi tether ($0)
    -Cisco VPN

I ran quadrant (performance counter) before I rooted my 2.1 droid, and I scored something like a 320. After upgrading to 2.2 and applying a 800 Mhz overclock, I scored a 1030. Ya, a 3x increase. I can't imagine how fast some of the newer processors must be. I've had the phone since october, but since applying 2.2 it's at least twice as cool. So much speedier, and being able to use 3G tether and VPN anywhere is a life saver at work. Admittedly I've been pretty anti-mac, so half the coolness is seeing the iPhone platform begin to teeter-totter.

If I was looking at another android I would probably wait for the Droid 2. I think it's going to be a faster version of the first release - sliding keyboard, close to iPhone size, etc. The droid X was a EVO counter it seems, and I don't really need a screen that big.

Truthfully, I would probably buy whatever phone is the most rock solid. I'm waiting for a 'brick' android phone. I wouldn't mind if it was super thick. I break these motherfucking phones too quick.

7. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

My alltel contract is up in September and I was planning on switching over to the droid 2. But now I think I'll end up waiting a couple more months to see what comes out for the Christmas season. Rumor has it there will be at least a couple more droid phones coming out before year's end. And it sounds like we might see a 2Ghz processor, front camera, HDMI out, etc.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Motorola-to-Answer-iPhone-4-With-2-GHz-Android-Phone-827021/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wir ... ne-827021/</a>

That has me excited. I might still go with the droid 2 because of the physical keyboard. I'm not sure that I could get used to a touchscreen keyboard. Can anyone give me some insight on how the physical to touch keyboard transition is? I do quite a bit of texting and I don't want to be stuck with something that I'll hate, but if it's something that I'll adjust to relatively quickly I would be fine with it.

8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Desire is the equivalent of the HTC Incredible in the US, which gets very good reviews and which I've used a bit and really like. Downside is primarily the video chip in it isn't nearly as good as the newer phones such as the Motorola Droid X or Droid 2 (which I don't see in that list - so I guess it's not a downside for this choice).

The big question is one only you can answer: do you need a physical keyboard?

The Milestone has a physical keyboard, but the keys are so flat and they aren't differentiated well so it's not much better than a touch screen. The BB keyboards are a world different. Frankly, I don't need a physical keyboard anymore - I'm good at typing on a touch screen and there are better uses for the real estate.

IMO, if you need a keyboard, get the Bold, if not, get the Desire. The Milestone is bigger than the desire because of the keyboard, but the keyboard is pretty vestigial so...

9. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Does anyone use tethering for their android phones. I just enabled it on my Motorola Droid with Verizon. It doesn't cost any extra money either.

10. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good timing man. I just got my internet cancelled because MediaComm blows, and I'm tethered to my phone's internet right now. If you go with Verizon's tether version, you'll end up paying some money for it. I use a free app called pdaNET to tether my phone. Just install it to the phone, connect it to your computer, and install the computer software that jumps from your phone to the pc after you connect them. It's incredibly simple and it costs nothing. After about a week of use, it's alright, just a little slower than normal internet...but it works like a charm. If you have any questions, shoot me a pm.

11. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Oh, I guess I wasn't clear. I've already set mine up too. Fuck Verizon if they think they're getting an extra thirty dollars for tethering. I was going to use PdaNet but I found an app called Tetherlite. All the comments and reviews were saying it was better. I downloaded it and it's fast as fuck. They only charge ten dollars for the pro version, which they say is faster. But the regular one is pretty damn fast itself. I probably won't end up buying the pro version because I'm going to root my phone anyways. This just works well in the meantime.

edit: The reason I haven't rooted my phone yet is because I'm not sure if the software you need to tether the phone is compatible with the 2.2 froyo updates. I need to search around the internet for the correct one.

12. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is a long shot, but does anyone know how to delete a rooted app? I have an app on my incredible called cityid that is rooted too the core system, and all it does is take up memory. I want to get rid of it without screwing with the operating system.

13. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm not completely sure, but I do know this much: When deleting rooted apps you have to use a file manager. If you search around the internet you should be able to find one.

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Incorrect.

You CAN use a file manager. You can also use ADB from your PC. You can also use an app such as Titanium Backup.

Diablo: you need to have obtained root on your device in order to do this. If you have obtained root, you can visit this thread:

<a class="postlink" href="http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/131207-full-list-apps-apks-removable-non-removable-root.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-th ... -root.html</a>

You can pay for and download Titanium Backup and use the "freeze" feature. You can use Root Explorer on the phone and rename the file(s). Or you can use ADB and rename the files that way. That thread should provide enough information to do any one of those things.

15. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only real disadvantage of the Desire (or, in the US, the Incredible) is that it's got a processor that's a generation behind the current run of processors.

All three of the current top-end processors (Snapdragon, OMAP and Hummingbird) have 1ghz, but the latter two are 45nm processors which reduces power consumption, and are linked up to substantially better graphics chips. Consequently, the Samsung Galaxy S-series of phones (different names on different carriers) and the Motorola Droid X/2 phones are a bit faster and better on batteries.

It's an interesting time to be shopping for a smartphone, especially an Android phone since the market has just exploded with great Android phones.

Verizon recently announced LTE to the NFL cities by the end of 2010. AT&T announced LTE in mid-2011. By the time I'm a year into my Verizon account, I'll probably be hankering for an LTE phone... which will probably have some variety of dual core processor.

16. taikaviitta

taikaviitta
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I've got a Desire running on Android 2.2 (which has been available in Europe for a month or so) and I can confirm the shit battery life. With a bit of tweaking I have been able to get 3 days out of it (and keeping the web browsing to minimal etc). But usually it runs out of juice in less than a day. I doesn't really bother me though. Just remember to plug it in before going to bed and you're all good. Anyways, it's a brilliant thing. I think HTC Sense is the best UI on top of Android at the moment. Which is also one of the reasons I chose Desire over a Galaxy S.

Being finnish, I've always been a bit of a Nokia fan boy. But man their phones are shit nowadays. I had a couple of N-series "smart" phones before getting the Desire and holy balls were they awful. Symbian S60 os is the cancer of phones. And don't get me started with the Ovi store/market. How the hell can the world's largest mobile phone company fuck something so simple so bad? No wonder the CEO got fired. That being said, the Nokia N8 with updated Symbian^3 looks pretty good and surely isn't terrible but why would anyone choose that over Android/iOS/BB?

17. no use for a name

no use for a name
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I just upgraded to the Droid X from the BB Storm (what a shit phone) the other day. So far, I'm really enjoying it, however, I consider myself pretty technically challenged. I've gone through every droid forum I can find, but I rarely know what the hell the posters are talking about. The tech speak is over my head, I'm not familiar with the acronyms, and I just don't have the assumed knowledge most members have. Also, there's a stigma with being technically challenged and asking basic questions (I've tried all the search functions).

I really want to be able to tether my Mac to the phone. I've read here that Tether Lite is a good app for tethering, but doesn't appear to be available for the mac yet. How about pdaNET?

I also want to be able to sync the mac and droid to get music, pics, videos, etc. back and forth. Particularly from iTunes. I've downloaded an app called doubleTwist for this, but cannot get the two hooked up for the life of me. Part of this comes with "mounting" the droid to the mac. Again, I can't find this option for the life of me (I've read plenty of time of where to find the option, but it doesn't seem to show up for me). I also keep getting a notification that the memory card is missing and this is why I can't access Media Share. I know the memory card/SD card (these are the same, right?) is in droid. Why isn't it reading?

Also, this whole "rooting" concept. What the hell is this all about? Is this something I should even begin to concern myself with? All the users on the forums seem to believe that rooting the device is an absolute necessity, but I can't seem to figure out what the advantage of doing this is. I also am quite terrified of "bricking" (still not sure what exactly this is) the device and losing the warranty, breaking it, whatever else can happen.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

18. MrPrime

MrPrime
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Can anyone help me with why my iPhone is doing this? It a screen cap from my gmail in box, ive been receiving this email with no sender, no subject, no content weird ass date and no way to delete it.

Attached Files:

19. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, I finally got a Nexus One smartphone earlier this year. It's a great phone, but oddly enough, actually talking on it is kind of uncomfortable for my ear/face. Also, I want to be able to talk hands free.so I think it may be time to enter the early 2002s and get bluetooth.

I know *nothing* about bluetooth headsets. Anyone have any advice, ehlp, good place to start reading online, warnings, etc?

Thanks!

20. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I will be switching to Verizon shortly and was wondering if V CAST was worth the $10/month. I can't imagine that I'll watch any tv shows on my phone, at least I won't miss that option if it wasn't available. But I think I'll need it to watch clips/games on the NFL app, right? That would come in handy, but again, I don't think it's worth $10 unless there are some other cool things I can do with it. Anyone have V CAST that can tell me about it and some other things I can use it for. Sorry if this isn't making much sense, I think the gin is keeping me from describing things too good.