Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can you hear me now? The Cell Phone Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So you can have an iphone and be cool like steve jobs/net data. they are one in the same in case you didnt know.

2. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

So, the medical director wants to be able to access her work email from her Blackberry, while one of our doctors wants to access her work email from her iphone. In order to remotely access our Exchange server users open an RDC session and connect to our terminal server. Does anyone know if there's an application for either of these phones that would allow the user to open an RDC session?

3. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I think I found the solution to my problem.

4. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

1) Because I can't get any signal from Sprint in most of the places I have to travel to for work, and have no problems with Verizon because CDMA carries across longer distances (Sprint is only good if you're in cities, or on an interstate)
    2) Because I use my corporate card to pay my phone bill so I don't care how much it costs
    3) Because I got automatically switched to them when they bought Alltel. Alltel had fantastic customer service, so far Verizon has been pretty good. My experience with AT&T and Sprint customer service has not been good. Spend an hour waiting on hold, or try to get some technical support from Sprint, and then talk to me about taking it up the ass.

5. OdenIHY

OdenIHY
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I get all of that with AT&T (With the exception of texts. I get 500 a month instead of unlimited, but never even come close to using all of them) for about $65 per month. And, I have an iPhone (Which I really like and can't get anywhere else). There is no other phone company (That I'm aware of) that can give me a significantly better deal. That's why I take it up the ass from AT&T.

6. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

When I was visiting my parents, I hooked my iPhone up to their computer to charge it. Afterwards, I realized it had synced 2 photo albums onto my phone. Normally I wouldn't care, but the pictures are the generic Microsoft Clip Organizers and Photo Library generic ones that are just taking up space. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to delete the albums. I tried going through iTunes (I don't sync anything from my computer on to my phone -- just back it up and receive the updates), but could not find a way to organize/delete the folders. The photo tab only had a tab to sync photos from the computer. And there's no delete option on the phone itself for the albums or pics individually.

I'm obviously pretty obsolete when it comes to this type of stuff, and it's frustrating me to no end. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Welcome to Apple's wonderful world where they think nobody should be allowed to make decisions for themselves.

So, first, if you re-sync from your computer (i.e. tell it to sync from your album directory, and move everything out of the directory or point it at an empty directory) it may delete them.

The one great thing about the backup that iTunes takes, though, is if you click the "Restore" button and leave it alone for 10 minutes, your phone will go back into the state it was at the last backup. If you haven't backed up since the weird photos got on your phone, the photos will be gone.

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sony-Erricsson ... dont ever buy one of there phones.

My provider is Rodgers. The warranty on the phone was just about up, and it was having problems charging so i took it in, and they said since it would not get to the repair shop before my 1 year mark was up it had no warranty. So i called Sony up directly and asked what was going on. I gave them all the serial numbers off the back of the phone and they said it was still under manufactures warranty and to just send it to there repair shop. And once they got it it would take 8-10 business days to fix it then the time to ship it back. So it took a week to get there, i gave them 2 weeks to fix it, then 1 week to get back to me, and a little bit extra cause well i never expect it to go according to plan.

So about 5 weeks after not having that phone, i phone them up and ask what is going on. They tell me that they have no record of receiving it. I give them the tracking number and that they did receive it. Then after 2 weeks of calling to figure out what is going on and if they found it yet. They tell me they have not found it, and are sending me a new one. Ok cool i was thinking they are trying to solve the problem. Then over the next week, they phone me telling me they found my phone are going to repair. Then it is actually not my phone. Then they found my phone, but need my serial number again. So i go find my original box, because i am a pack rat. Then they proceed to tell me that they made a mistake and that my phone is not actually under warranty. So after 8 weeks of not having my phone, they are not going to do anything for me, except try and charge me 60 dollars to fix the phone.

With out swearing, and yelling, and a lot of arguing, they are not going to do anything. So leason learned here, DO NOT buy sony-erricsson. I am going to read throu this tread, any suggestions on a on smart phone, i text a bit, do take the odd photo. But other then that, a basic phone.

9. Virty

Virty
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

That's unfortunate that Sony jerked you around like that, but honestly I've never had much faith in any phones warranty. I'm curious though if you just text a bit and take the odd photo do you really need a smart phone? If you enjoy getting your facebook, twitter, google reader feeds plus all of your e-mails I would recommend any of the droid os phones, I have been very happy with my eris from Verizon. Seeing that Rogers is a Canadian provider a Canadian might have better advice.

10. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

yea, that was supposed to be "on a non smart phone". Sad excuse but i hate my keyboard at work.

11. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Anything made by Motorola or Nokia. Those are the only two brands of phones I or anyone I know have ever owned that didn't have major problems.

I will absolutely never own another HTC, and will do everything I can to prevent anyone I know from buying one. Flawed, malfunctioning, poorly-engineered garbage.

12. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone having shitty Verizon service as of late; like dropped service or piss-poor reception?
    I posted something in the tech help thread detailing my problem. Basically, my 2 yr old LG Dare has been dropping service at random times and random locations. It's killing me especially when I can't call work and check in.

I've been considering buying a new phone but can't justify spending the money on the fucking data plans that VZW offers...$360 a year for internet that I won't even use much, if at all, or the $120 for the cheap one. Fuck.

13. carpenter

carpenter
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've got the exact same phone, same provider. I get about four or five dropped calls a week. Verizon's been sucking balls lately.
    I'm coming up on my two year agreement, might be time for a change...
    I'm gonna check out ATT this weekend.

14. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone have a chance to test the Incredible? Is it all it's cracked up to be? Any feedback as I'm looking to get one possibly.

15. PoppaBear

PoppaBear
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm going to be getting a smartphone in the next 3 weeks or so. I need one that can check email well--I know that blackberry covers that well, but doesn't the iPhone as well? I don't see the point in getting a blackberry if I could get an iPhone instead, as it has the ability to let me check my gmail, and has the apps and a great browser. Also, I'm on AT&T already.

Finally, should I wait for the new iPhone 4G, or is the 3G or 3G S really good as well? Thanks guys.

16. carpenter

carpenter
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any smartphone in existence can do that.

This is like saying, "I need a car. I park on hills a lot, though, so I really want one with a parking brake. Is there a car like that?"

3GS is great. There are great Android phones out now, too.

Go to a store and fondle a few of them. If you want games, iPhone is your platform. If your idea of a good time is picking dozens of random apps just to try out, there's no comparison to the iPhone.

If you don't care about games, Android is evolving faster and is probably going to end up being adopted in more types of devices so it may be a better longer-term bet when buying apps. Also, you can get an Android phone in many different form factors so if you want a physical keyboard or a smaller phone or a trackball or whatever, they're available.

You'll probably be happy with either platform. If you need a phone now, don't bother waiting for the 4G - iPhone OS4 will be supported by the 3GS. If you don't need a phone now and like having the latest and greatest, sure, wait it out. But I usually don't wait, as there's always something better around the corner and I don't generally like being a beta tester for a new product.

18. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Android integrates much better with Gmail than any of the others, because Android is put out by Google. Unless you live in one of the very limited areas that has 4G coverage, waiting for a 4G phone makes no sense.

19. fourtytwo

fourtytwo
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Just to clarify, the 4G iPhone won't be 4G in the way you're talking about it. When people talk about the 4G iPhone, they're talking about the fourth revision, counting the 3GS as kind of a half step. The way you're talking about 4G, you're talking about wireless standards. The new iPhone is going to continue to be same as the 3GS and 3G in that respect.

If anyone has/has used a Nexus One, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it. I'm looking into getting a smartphone, and in Canada all but one of our carriers are evil entities created to game the wireless (and internet, for that matter) industry. Unfortunately, the Nexus One is the only non-Blackberry smartphone that can be used on the Wind Mobile network. I have an iPod Touch, so I know that I like the iPhone, but I don't like any of the carriers that I can use the iPhone with. I've heard that there are a lot of problems with the N1, however it's the only phone that is worthwhile to use with Wind. Any insight would be wonderful.

20. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Oops, forgot that everyone uses the *G format to talk about apple model versions. Does the iPhone 4G include Flash support? I think lack of Flash, and AT&T's shitty network and customer service are the biggest complaints I hear.

Another thing to consider when choosing your phone is that if you'll be typing emails on it, you need to consider the keyboard of whatever phone you want. I can't stand touch-screen keyboards, and don't like the blackberry keyboards much, so I chose the Motorola Droid. Now I don't get pissed every time I'm trying to respond to an email like I did with my old HTC touch.