Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can you hear me now? The Cell Phone Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I need a task app that has:

1) a good customizable notification/reminder/alarm system with a snooze feature.

2) the ability to have subtasks in a task, and the task is recurring and I can continue to get the reminder alarm even after i've checked stuff off some of the subtasks.

I've had GTasks for awhile for stuff like paying the mortgage or taking out the garbage weekly, and it has good notification options, but doesn't have the ability to do subtasks. I downloaded an app called toodledo which does the subtask thing, but realized afterward that subtasks are only available with a subscription. Then I downloaded Wunderlist. It definitely does subtasks, but the notification options suck and are unreliable.

I don't want to keep downloading and then uninstalling apps, so I figured I'd ask here in case someone has experience with it.

the intent is that I have a nightly to do list of things I have to accomplish before I get to bed, and I need to be reminded/bugged to do them because I tend to get engrossed in something and lose track of time and then I somehow end up getting 6 or less hours of sleep because around bedtime (which in and of itself I drag my ass about) I'm realizing I haven't done everything I need to do. Apparently the only way I'm going to have sufficient sleep is if I treat myself like a child that needs to be told what to do every hour.

I don't want to set individual tasks for each thing I have to do, because my schedule varies from night to night and don't do everything in order or at the same time. I just fit it in where I can. So the idea is that, for instance, it would give me the first reminder at 5pm. If I can do one or two things then, I check them off and hit snooze. An hour later it reminds me again and I might check a couple more things off and hit snooze. And so on during the evening. When I get everything checked off, it leaves me alone until the next day at 5pm and start all over.

2. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well it looks like I am going to be in the market for a new cell in 6 months or so once I hit 2 years on my contract and can get upgrade. Will probably have to switch to the wifes old 4s until then. I haven't had any luck with Samsungs. My S2 had a really rare issue where it would just keep resetting, course it happened after the 1 year warranty was up, which is shit. Then my current S4 the charging port is messed up and the microusb is really sloppy and doesn't make contact unless I hold it in the perfect spot.

So question, what cell phones do you people have and what do you like about them?

3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I said it above but it bears repeating - my Moto X is far and away the best smartphone I've owned (also owned: iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, Droid X, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3). Active Notifications might be the best feature to be introduced to smartphones in the last few years - basically, the phone will light up the time and your current notifications when it senses you've pulled it out of your pocket, or picked it up, or touched it. Sounds trivial but I actually spend a lot less time waking my phone up and interacting with it, which is nice.

I have the 2013 version, the 2014 version is basically everything good about the 2013 version, with some improvements. I really think Motorola might be making the best smartphones in the business right now, and it seems cosmetic or petty but I think the customization is fantastic. You've got a device you'll be carrying/looking at probably every day for a couple years, having it look like it's really yours is no small thing.

4. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just reading articles on the new S6, no removable battery, no SD card slot, why not just call it an iPhone?

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My Moto X has no removable battery and no SD card slot, and I like it a whole lot better than any iPhone I ever owned.

Two hardware features doesn't change the entire OS ecosystem.

6. voltronman

voltronman
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I have a standard old flip phone. My wife and I are cheap, and instead of spending money on data-plans and better phones we have kept our crappy old ones. We are on a family plan with my in-laws. Tonight, they are taking us out to get smartphones, at their expense, and are covering the extra cost of the data stuff. I say this honestly, they won't hold it over our heads either. My in-laws are awesome.

From what I understand, they are going to get us Samsung Galaxy S5s. I have a Galaxy Tab 4, so I am a bit familiar with how Samsung does it's thing. I am assuming I will like the phone too. Is there anything else I should really look at on this? Seeing as how I have no brand loyalty here, I am not stuck on the S5, but since it is free to me, should I really bother exploring other options?

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Probably not.

The S5 is a good phone. It may or may not be what you'd choose given the full expanse of options on the market, but the difference between it and your other options is not going to outweigh the fact that it's free. Unless your in-laws have actually asked you to pick a smartphone, I'd just run with the S5 and enjoy it.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anybody heard when Periscope will be available for Android?

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If anyone's been following the news on Google Fi, they're basically being a reseller of wireless service. The interesting trick is that they've created a phone/sim where they device will switch between both T-Mobile (GSM) and Sprint (CDMA) networks, which is unique, and wifi calling/cellular handoffs with your cellular number.

I got my invite last week. The major disadvantage here is that they only support the Nexus 6, which is a behemoth and far too big for what I'd prefer.

That said, the billing is what really got me. $20/month for unlimited talk and text + $10/gb of data - pay only for what you use (use 700mb, you pay $7). That's reasonably cheap, though some other MVNOs are competitive with that. However, data and text rates stay the same internationally, which is pretty awesome. International phone calls are not free via cell network, but since it supports calling on wifi, you can use that to avoid the fees.

I really don't like the phone size but I'm trying to get over it given the serious savings I'll get moving off Verizon.

10. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Today I picked up a Samsung S7 after breaking my Motorola Droid Turbo by slamming it in my truck door as it fell out of my pocket yesterday evening.

The screen on the droid is dead & everything I've found to pull contacts, text messages, photos, & other info off the old phone requires a fully functioning phone. Is there anyway I can pull this information or am I looking at rebuilding all of my contacts?

11. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It amazes me how this is still a problem.

If you have Android, make a gmail account to go with it, set it up so it sync's your contacts to this account, that's all there is to it.

If your phone wasn't syncing your contacts then you are shit out of luck.

12. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

About half a dozen other apps I use & would like to recover data from have nothing to do with gmail. They're "convenience" apps which at the end of the day, data loss is only an annoyance, but I'd still like to get the data if possible.

13. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Does anyone here use Google's Project Fi? I ordered a Nexus 5x and will be switching next week. I don't really talk on the phone a lot or use a lot of data and the $30/month is pretty enticing. I generally don't leave major cities so I think I will be OK. Anything anyone has come across that might be an issue?

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@jason1214

I've been using Fi for 6 months or so. I like it a lot. Data speeds are slower and 4G is not as widespread as on Verizon but it's a third of the cost so...

Full Hangouts integration with my cell number is awesome.

International was a big selling point to me and I love it while globetrotting. No more racing to find a local SIM just so I can look up a hotel or whatever.

15. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I signed up yesterday and so far so good. Seems text messages take a little bit of time to be delivered, but for the the money I can live with it.

16. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have a 5x and I'm quite interested in hearing how it has worked. I have Verizon and I'm happy about the plan expansions but apparently I'm going to pay twice as many taxes on one more gig in data that technically costs five dollars more. I'm going to have to look into the coverage more but would love to hear about both your experiences with the service.

17. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

@Tim I pay about $27 a month on average, using around 500Mb or so. In comparison to the $85 6GB plan I had with Verizon and wasn't using to the fullest, I am thrilled with the savings.

One thing to keep in mind would be that you have to have a Nexus 6, 5X or 6P. Google should release new phones soon.

Basically, whether Fi is a good fit or not comes down to two factors in my mind:

1. Do you have good T-Mobile/Sprint/US Cellular coverage where you plan to use the phone/data? It has the ability to switch between the three in the US.

2. If you use more than 2GB of data consistently in a month, other options will likely be cheaper. data for Fi is a flat $10/GB. Research offline playlists if you stream a lot of music, otherwise T-Mobile's Binge On would probably be better for you. Offline maps as well if you use GPS on your phone a lot.

There are two other things that makes Fi awesome:

1. If T-Mobile has a roaming agreement in other countries, you pay the same amount for data. For example, my buddy is in Canada right now and is using one of my data sims and is getting 4G wherever he goes in Toronto and for the same price as regular data.

2. Fi will let you have up to 9 data sims in addition to your main phone account and they all use the same data pool. I currently have 3, which are in a backup phone, my laptop and iPad. I don't use 4G in them much, but I like having the option if needed.

If you need more info, let me know. Otherwise hit up Google's support pages or reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectFi

18. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like Fi quite a lot.

A couple months ago, they removed the cap on data speeds internationally, so I now get 4g many places while traveling, or fast HSPA+ speeds.

While in the US, I usually had good coverage, though I did not have the same "holy shit I have LTE sixty five miles from the city in someone's basement" that I usually had with Verizon. There were coverage gaps and places with decreased speeds, especially in buildings.

I haven't been back to the US in nearly 8 months now, though, so I don't know if coverage has improved, especially with the new US Cellular partnership.

As said above, heavy data users won't save money. I typically spent around $32/month when I was in the US, so it was a good deal for me.

The travel experience has been nothing short of spectacular though. One or two glitches, but overall I've hit 16 countries and it's as if I've just been in the US the whole time. No fussing with local carriers, just go.

19. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

For those of you with Nexus phones: the WiFi assistant appears to be working (or at least it is for me). I don't have Google Fi but apparently the WiFi assistant will look for strong WiFi networks and connect me with the Google VPN. I received the Google connectivity services update a few days ago but my phone didn't get the Settings>Google>Networking>WiFi assistant option until today.

20. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm looking for a music making app for Android and since a bunch of people here play instruments I thought someone might have experience with some apps. I'm trying Music Maker Jam. It's free and even has some multitracking capability. I don't need anything too serious, it's mostly for ideas.