Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can you hear me now? The Cell Phone Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like the look and feel of the HTC One. Frankly, I'm seriously considering the Moto X - it has a far better form factor than either of those other two, a few really nice features and not as much customization to the Android OS (which is virtually never value-added).

For notifications, you can do that now - there are apps that will handle it.
    <a class="postlink" href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nightskeeper&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... eper&hl=en</a>
    <a class="postlink" href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.epsilonlabs.silence.ads&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .ads&hl=en</a>

Both let you silence notifications and whitelist specific contacts. I know there are others as well.

2. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I shot a bunch of ads for the S4. I didn't like it, it just felt like they took the S3, slapped some shiny dumb features on it and called it a new phone. I've been on Android for a long time, and even I could barely figure out most of the menu options (let alone the rest of the crew who were all iPhoners).

I just picked up a Moto X a few weeks back, and I'm digging it a lot. I'm in the same camp of "stop messing with the Android OS."

HTC One is the only other phone out there really competing with it, but it comes down to preference there. Moto X is just so nice, though.

3. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone know how to fix a Galaxy S3 that turns itself off randomly?

4. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: Can you hear me now? The Cell Phone Thread

Good luck, mine does it as well, although I did a factory reset and it does it less than before.

I like the phone but if it shits the bed I'll be buying a Nexus straight from Google with a clean version of Android.

5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got the S4 and it is pretty decent. I had the S2 and it died waited for a bit then got the S4. Love it for the most part, but finding stuff in the menus/settings is alot harder then I remember. What pissed me off is that you can get a S4 from at&t that is water proof. And there are some other phones out there that are waterproof, have gorilla glass, have carbon fiber backs. As much as I really like my S4 unless Samsung steps up there game I will probably be switching on my next phone which is a while.

6. voltronman

voltronman
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Ok, so I have been given an Iphone 3G. It was free, and I am using it as a mini-tablet/iphone touch. For all practical purposes it is not a phone. I cannot get it to update past ios 4.2. My itunes error says it is a 1631 carrier error, and from what I can tell that means it needs to know what carrier I am on. As it is no longer a phone, I don't have a carrier. Should I just bring this thing into an Apple store to get it updated, or do one of you people have a better idea? Let's just say I trust the people here more than the at the Apple store.

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Try popping the SIM card out entirely, see of that works. It probably has the SIM from the last carrier.

8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm really enjoying my new Moto X. Probably the most thoughtfully designed smartphone I've ever used.

Size and shape are extremely comfortable, hitting a real sweet spot between the diminutive iPhone and the ever growing screens of Android devices. I don't want a tablet, I want a phone - but the iPhone screen is edging on the small side.

The feature set is actually useful, too. Unlike, say, the Galaxy S4 that seems to have features because they can, not because they're useful, touchless voice control, quick launch for the camera, active notifications and the interesting little Moto Skip are actually very useful.

I mean, it's really amazingly useful for the phone to wake itself up and display the time & your notifications when you pull it out of your pocket or pick it up. Plus, you rarely have to hit the power button - it's already awake, waiting for your swipe to unlock.

9. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just installed CyanogenMod on my S3, phone is so much more snappy and responsive now, I had CM on my old droid for awhile but those were the early days and it was glitchy as fuck. New new release is great, no more bullshit bloatware from AT&T.

Android the way it should be.

10. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Okay, so I got one of them there Samsung Galaxy 4s a month ago, and every time I take a pic it wants to upload it to my google + account. I don't think anything of it till tonight when I am wanting to take a Very Special Picture *wink* and realize that I do NOT want that going to my google + account. I think I might have disabled it, but how do I be sure? Fucking phones trying to be all convenient and shit but making my life difficult.

I tested it taking pics of my kitty (her name is Leia) and so far it isn't showing up on Google +. That means I fixed it, right?

11. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Okay, now I have another problem. Where to find the fucking pictures. I hooked the cell phone up to my laptop trying to find the pics of my kitty that I just took (Leia, not my hoo ha), and don't know which of the five million folders it is in. Goddamn it if you fuckers want titty pics you better help me figure this shit out.

12. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now I don't mean to be a dick but, Google is your friend

13. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm thinking of replacing my galaxy S3 with the S5. Anyone have any experiences with it? Particularly the Google edition if they have one for tmobile.

14. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got the S5 for Verizon about a week ago. I love it. It is significantly faster than my old phone and the battery life is pretty good. I get around 48 hours or so between recharges with medium usage (30-60 min talk, 2-3 hours playing games/web surfing).

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That seems like decent battery life.

16. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I just switched over to T-mobile and am looking to upgrade my phone. Currently have a Galaxy S3 and looking for suggestions. Should I jump all the way up to a S5, or can I just go to the S4 and save the extra cash? Or shout I look at something non-samsung altogether. For reference, I don't get into the whole rooting phones, or anything extra techy like that. I'm just looking for something with a decent battery life that I can kill time with while I poop.

17. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The new Iphone looks pretty slick, I have always been an Andriod user and have had an S3 since it was released but I will be making the switch over to the Iphone.

18. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I guess I should have also stated that under no circumstances would I consider switching to an iAnything. Nothing against people that have them, I just won't be one of them.

19. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why not consider a Windows Phone? I've had a Nokia 1020 for over 6 months now and it's just as fast as it was when I bought it. And dat camera. My typical use is browsing while crapping, Twitter and pictures. The battery life on a Windows Phone is way better than an Android phone on the same hardware. All the apps that you're using on Android (and if you're like me, there isn't many) have either a Windows Phone version or equivalent. Oh yeah, and they're cheaper.

For all the shit Microsoft gets for Windows, the phone platform is actually fast, simple to use, good on battery life and cheap.

20. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Windows App Store is still a barren wasteland compared to Android / iOS app stores. If you want a browser and only basic functions like Twitter, Facebook, etc. then Windows Phone is a pretty good platform. It's beautifully designed, for sure.

Unfortunately, most app developers are still not taking the platform seriously and it's enough to keep me away from it. It's decidedly incorrect to suggest all the Android apps someone might be using are available on Windows Phone unless you have the whole list of apps.

Last year's Moto X is the best phone I've ever owned, by a long shot. This year's looks to be very nice as well - you could consider that. The HTC One M8 is pretty sweet as well, a few guys here at work have them. The Samsung phones are good hardware but jeeeeezus is that skin ugly that they lump on top of it.

If I'm buying a phone, I'm generally buying the latest and greatest in order to get the longest lifespan out of them. The technology moves quickly enough without buying something that's a year behind the curve.