Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can you hear me now? The Cell Phone Thread

Discussion in 'Technical Board' started by Nettdata, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have my new every two upgrade in a few days, but want to keep my Incredible. I am looking to root/jailbreak it, so if I fuck something up, I'll just get my upgrade. Does anyone have any experience or know of any good tutorials?

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/</a>

Read up and register for an account. If you have trouble, you can post and people are generally really helpful.

You won't screw anything up. It's virtually impossible to brick these phones. They all have a bootloader that's separate from the actual phone/file system, that can be used in an emergency, "Oh God what have I done" situation to recover the phone.

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Anyone know about prepaid cell phones? El husband has a Samsung Galaxy phone and is going month to month now since his 2 year contract is finished. However, 80 bucks a month for a phone that he doesn't use much is overkill, but at the same time he doesn't want to downgrade his phone. The prepaid cards offer what he needs as far as minutes and texting and are pretty cheap ($25-40), but we're not sure if he can use that with his phone or if the phones they are compatible with are limited. Any ideas? I can't find the info online. Thanks!

4. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who is his current provider? And which Galaxy phone?

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

His provider is T-Mobile and it is the original Galaxy phone from a couple years ago.

6. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have Verizon and the HTC Rezound and I have a very annoying problem. My 4G cuts out all the damn time. Legitimately every time I try to use the internet, 4G cuts out. It comes back after about 15 seconds but then is absurdly sporadic going on and off for the time I am on the internet. I brought it to the Verizon store and they ordered some kind of update that I'm not sure ever came. Any thoughts?

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll assume that means the phone is a Galaxy S (sorry, I'm not being pedantic; Galaxy is a series of phones, not a model, so I'm just trying to determine what radios his model has).

The T-Mobile Vibrant, which was the Galaxy S phone that T-Mobile sold, looks like this:
    [​IMG]

If that's your phone, it supports GSM (commonly referred to as 2G) frequencies 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, and UTMS (commonly referred to as 3G) frequencies 1700/1900/2100 MHz. Those pieces of information are something you can look for in a prepaid provider's website, or call their support department. For instance, Vodafone provides this useful link:

<a class="postlink" href="http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles/FAQ/Network-coverage-and-mobile-frequency" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles ... -frequency</a>

Basically tells you that you'll be able to get 3G in cities, but not in rural areas, and that you'll get phone coverage just about everywhere. Other providers may have similar information, or you may have to call/email them.

Hope that helps.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yup, that's the phone! Thanks a million.

9. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got a Galaxy S3 for my birthday, and quickly realized that I hated the stock Samsung Swype keyboard. The functionality was limited on it, and it just did not seem very intuitive/user friendly like my Droid X was. In doing some research, I found that Swype has a beta program you can sign up for to get their most recent version. So, I went ahead and signed up for it.

The changes that were made in updating to the beta version are great. Features that used to be accessed by hitting the menu button are now accessed by a long hold on the letter and number keys. Speech to text is now an available option by a simple keypress, as are other desirable options.

Here's a screenshot of the stock S3 keyboard:

Here's a screenshot of the keyboard with the Swype beta and added functionality of the keys available by a long press:

On top of the added functionality, I have also found that the predictive text is much better with this new version of Swype.

The beta can be found here.

Attached Files:

10. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I could never get behind the stock keyboards, I switched to SwiftKey and it's much better than anything else I have tried.

11. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, our office is now allowing us to use our personal cell phones as our work email phones and they'll cover a majority of our bill each month. The vibration customization on Android devices is absolute shit compared to Blackberry devices, and what I want to do is to be able to assign a different vibration notification to each of my mailboxes that are configured on my phone.

Yes, I realize that Blackberries are better suited to corporate environments, but is there a way for me to do this on my phone? All of the applications that I have found through the Play store seem to be setting custom vibration alerts for specific contacts, not mailboxes.

Help?

12. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just an FYI to the Galaxy S3 users who are on Verizon. The Jellybean update went live on Friday, and can be downloaded and installed by going to Settings -> About Phone -> Software Update and checking for an update. It's ~400 MB, so I would suggest pulling it down via WiFi, although I believe software updates OTA are not marked as used data.

The update adds some new, albeit subtle, features; and there's definitely a noticeable improvement in responsiveness with the phone.

13. PeruvianSoup

PeruvianSoup
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Question for any Android users: What do I have to do to get Titanium Back Up on my Galaxy S3? I've followed a few threads on XDA, but I'm not quite following the steps correctly. Am I right in believing that all I need is to root the phone? If so, assuming I follow the instructions to this thread ( <a class="postlink" href="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2046439" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2046439</a> ), do I just download the SuperSU file to the SD card and restart the phone or do I go through all of the steps outlined below?

Thanks!

14. bean

bean
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Look for the S3 qcom toolkit on xda. Takes care of most models. Rooting and custom recovery which is kernel related in Samsung.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am also going to post this in the tech help thread, but i have an SII LTE and this morning it just keeps resting, i go to put my password in, the main screen pops up, then it resets, and keeps vibrating for a while, turns on again. And sits there still i try and get back into the phone again.

Anyone have any ideas?

16. tempest

tempest
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have an sII skyrocket. Last month it died. Screen randomly went black and it just kept vibrating. Tried to restart it, didn't work. Pulled the battery, when I put it back in it just kept vibrating. Attempted a hard factory reset, didn't work. I ended up having them mail me a new phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You could try a couple things depending on how much you want to fuss with it.

If the data that's on your phone isn't super important (e.g. it's backed up online like email, or the only important stuff is on your SD card, like photos), then you can look up the procedure for booting your phone into recovery mode, and do a factory reset.

You can also try booting your phone into Safe Mode which I think is holding down the menu button while you boot. That might allow you to boot the phone and pull any important data off it. I just searched for how to boot it into safe mode and found this useful page with both the safe mode procedure and the hard reset procedure I mentioned above:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.hard-reset.com/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-skyrocket-hd-lte-hard-reset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.hard-reset.com/samsung-galax ... reset.html</a>

If it's super important that you get your data off the phone and safe mode doesn't work, you can look into using the Odin software which might let you re-flash your OS.

P.S. this is one place where Android has a major falling down over iDevices. There's no good freakin' backup solution. Just piecemeal stuff. Drives me nuts.

18. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The contacts on my iPhone 4 spontaneously disappeared sometime yesterday evening. My (short) call history is still there, as are all of my text messages, and my favorites are still there but without names associated with them. Googling, I'm finding others who have had this problem have said it was caused by cloud syncing. All cloud syncing is off in my case.

Anyone else had this happen? Since I've still got my texts, I could go through those and start re-adding people, but my ideal solution is a bit more radical, if it's even possible: I have a far more extensive contacts list saved in my car's navigation/bluetooth system than I had in my phone yesterday. A month or two ago I jumped through all the hoops to finally upgrade from iOS 4 to 5, rather than 6. I (very, very stupidly) forgot that doing so would wipe the phone. The contacts that my car's ('12 Accord coupe) nav system downloaded predates this loss. Putting my phone's contacts into the car is easy, and is explained in the car's manual... But is it possible to go the other way? I want to transfer the car's contacts list into the phone. The phone is jailbroken, if that helps.

19. bean

bean
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

boot into recovery mode (vol up +menu + Power) like above and try resetting cache and dalvik cache (if available). Do not do a hard reset as you will lose all data. Sometimes flashing a new stock image with Odin (Vol down + menu + Power) (NODATA version) will work and not wipe your data. Look on xda under the appropriate forum.

20. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Time to retire my droid maxx. Looking at either the S4 or HTC One. I'm not a hard core phone user. Just the usual texting, Facebook, occasional Youtube videos etc.

I get text notifications for work so I'd like a phone where I can mute some text notifications but not all. Right now I either watch for the green indicator light or risk being woken up in the middle of the night by a text notification if I forgot to mute my phone at night. Kind of like how a Blackberry can be set.