Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Can someone help me with this?

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by sublime, Oct 20, 2009.

1. kuhjäger

kuhjäger
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jägerette and I are having trouble that we need a Swede for.

We were listening to a song called Här Kommer Rebecka as she likes to listen to the songs of her homeland. However neither of us know the current slang, and there is one word in the song that we can't figure out.

What the fuck does mischu mean in "med ett mischu som är gjort av plast"?

We don't want to ask her sister (who is a minister) in case it is something dirty.

2. Dyson004

Dyson004
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Does anyone know of any good resources or references for creating a business plan?

I'm getting my PhD in Clinical Psychology and one of my assignments for my Ethics' class is to craft a business plan assuming that I've earned my degree. Essentially, I am creating a business plan for my private practice once I graduate. Anyone have any suggestions? My minor in undergrad was business, but I never put together a business plan.

3. Esian

Esian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It's getting closer and closer to Christmas, and as the worst shopper in the world that makes me incredibly nervous. When I have to purchase something for myself I have no problem with just making a quick decision and living with the consequences. However, my girlfriend tends to go into panic mode whenever making a decision on a purchase and this tendency has me nervous about trying to buy her a Christmas present.

She desperately needs a navigation unit for her car, and I'm confident that on the surface this is a good idea. However, I can't seem to pick one and just confidently click 'Ship'. If anyone has any experience in the area, has a recommendation of something they would stay away from, has a recommendation of something they would get, or even some info on the best mounting etc. I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm currently thinking the Garmin 1390T. I'm not opposed to spending more, provided I'm actually buying something better. What I'm absolutely looking to avoid is buying something that ends up providing more headaches than service.

If you've used this particular model it would be awesome to hear from you. I've got concerns over the volume of directions, and the charging. I've been reading reviews for the past couple of days but can't seem to find a consensus. One minute I'm feeling like this is the ideal model and then the next I'm afraid it's junk. Some reviews have mentioned problems with the battery life... am I completely retarded for assuming that it charges while you drive or at least supplies enough power as you drive to keep it operational... so that it should never run out of power while actually in a car that is in use?

Does anyone use a windshield mount for one of these things like the one that is included? Is it a giant pain in the ass that gets in the way?

4. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got a Garmin Nuvi, albeit an older model, and I really like it. The interface is really intuitive, the screen is nice and bright, the battery life is decent, and it's gotten me out of many traffic jams with it's smart choices for detour routes. I imagine that much of that has stayed the same with subsequent models.

As I said, the battery life is decent, but not stellar. It doesn't hold a charge like a cell phone does. I'd say that mine will go from full charge to plug-me-in-before-I-shut-down in about 4-5 hours, depending on if I need to detour or I use other features like points-of-interest or something. It's good enough to get me from CT to D.C. without having to plug it in. However, if you're going to be traveling longer, you can always plug it in and it will run constantly off of any normal A/C charge port or cigarette lighter.

As far as the windshield mount is concerned, it's never been a problem for me. I've got a radar detector and Sirius receiver mounted in the window as well, so I normally just mount it in the bottom left side of the windshield so I can see it easily but it's out of the way. I like the window mount much better than the sticky plastic circle dashboard mount.

While I don't have any experience with this particular model, I really like my Nuvi a lot and I doubt that she'd be unhappy with this one.

5. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can anyone recommend a guide to NYC? My sister will be living in the city for the next six months and needs one. I would say that she's not the off the beaten path kind of person, but she is world traveled. In other words, she's far more likely to enjoy fine art rather than a club with great indie music.

6. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The easy answer to this that will give you current information is the magazine "Time Out New York", which is a weekly periodical that lists upcoming events for just about any tastes you and your sister might have. This will give you info about beaten and unbeaten events, it will also give you subway directions to most events as well.

7. Xavier

Xavier
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Hey,

I'm working on online marketing for a musician. I don't have much of a marketing background (got a position primarily, I think, for writing skills but it has a marketing component) or much of a music background, so if anybody has a tip on marketing a singer online, I'm all ears.

He has a myspace, twitter, etc, and I don't handle any of his live stuff. Just the online.

Thanks in advance.

8. Uno

Uno
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Another GPS question that wasn't covered before.

I was wondering if anyone has used a Tom Tom before, and if it was any good?
    I was comparing the Tomtom 130 GPS against the Garmin Nuvi 250 and had no idea how to tell which works better.

9. Deanglow

Deanglow
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Right now my girlfriend only has a mattress laying on the floor. My back is fucking killing me and I'm waking up once every hour or so. I know I can buy her a box spring and frame, but what has worked for me in the past are soft sheets on top of the mattress. Where can I get the best/softest sheets online these days? Price isn't really an issue.

10. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you're having back pain from sleeping on a shitty bed, I'm not sure how soft sheets are going to remedy that (unless you buy a ton of them and wrap the mattress in a really thick layer of bottom sheets).

Your best bet would be to go to a Bed Bath & Beyond or something and get a decent foam mattress topper. That should help and they're not too expensive.

11. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My husband, who travels a lot for his job, used to have a Garmin (not a Nuvi, don't recall what type) and loved it. When it was stolen, he got a Tom Tom (wanted to save the company a little money since he felt guilty about the theft). He's had it for a couple of years and hates it - says the Garmin was far superior. A coworker was recently authorized to buy a new GPS when his Garmin Nuvi was damaged in a car crash. My husband took the Garmin off his hands and plans to fix it and use it (and the Tom Tom will go to me - whee!).

12. FreeBeer

FreeBeer
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

I want to buy a Wii for Christmas, many of you are quite knowledge about video games and what works. What type of bundle or list of items do you recommend to get started? It's me, the wife and two kids 5 & 10. The Wii fit and balance board are attractive to the wife, I want something I can play with the kids. I haven't played video games in 10 years, help me out.

Thanks

13. 6PPC

6PPC
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Like the other poster said, I don't see how sheets will help at all. What we did was get wool mattress covers. They come in 1, 2, or 3 inch thickness and feel totally awesome. Not cheap though.

14. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If price is no object, just go buy the frame and boxspring.

As for sheets. Overstock.com usually has the best selection and price on great (400+ tc) sheets. LL Bean also makes great linens with deep corner pockets, so the bed never gets short-sheeted. 600 tc sateen is heavenly. Avoid any linens (including towels) from Ralph Lauren. They're crap, not to mention expensive.

15. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I'll second overstock.com . I bought 1000TC sheets from them for about $130 and they are awesome.

However, new sheets aren't going to help your back. If price is no object go buy a new bed instead of sheets.

16. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

A boxspring and frame aren't going to fix a shitty mattress either. Modern boxsprings are nothing more than a box. All the support and cushioning are in the mattress. You're better off buying a new mattress than wasting money on frame, box spring, or sheets. Even an expensive mattress pad won't fix a shitty mattress. You're trying to polish a turd here.

17. Takoz

Takoz
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Hey all. I have a philosophy paper I have to write. The paper is based on this requirement:

I'm not huge into pop culture, so if someone can think of a good movie or newspaper/magazine article that has a ethical dilemma, it would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to think of anything interesting.

18. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Do any of you guys use Creatine? I joined a gym 2 months ago and have been eating more and lifting to try and gain some weight. I was told to try this CE2 stuff which is Creatine - does anyone have any advice regarding this? I know there has been talk about Creatine over the years as no one knows long term side effects, but what will it do short term? Should I use it for two months and will it help me get bigger?

19. Dynamite Harry

Dynamite Harry
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Shoeless Joe (or one of the other players) in Eight Men Out would be a good example of someone having to make an ethical decision.

20. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Two others: Matthew McConaughey's character in Ten Conversations About One Thing (hit and run scenerio).

OR: Matthew M. again in A Time to Kill. There's a great line from Donald Sutherland, when he advices Matt's character (a lawyer): "You can win this case and justice will be served. However, if you lose this case, justice will also be served.

Kinda weird I picked to McConaughey movies...I'm not actually that big of a fan.